“the truth”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I used to go to this so called restaurant to eat and enjoy my self that is until they hired a new chef from scottsdale who claimed to be hawaiin and claimed to be a cullinary student that was a lie and to add the worst customer service i have ever had i feel as though he had no idea what he was doing food was horible i had chicken terryaki my friends saw my plate and decided not to eat the wait staff is amazing i have to say but in all honesty get rid of the cheff. there was a guy there who always wanted to see if every thing was okay and if there was anything he could do to make are experience there better i didnt catch his name he look like he helped in the kitchen but ran around every where so im not sure what he did he was a short hispanic amazing attitude great personality hes not there any more they lost a good person i say esoji work on your food and your hiring

Reviewed October 8, 2008

The first time I saw how simply elegant food was arranged on the plate and the subtlety of flavors, I was curious.

When I saw black cod miso and seafood udon hotpot on the specials board, memories of meals at Nobu in Tribeca and Malibu came to my mind -- places that have received the highest rating in towns full of great restaurants.

The flip side of such places is this. If you watched the first episode of "The Starter Wife" on TV, the scene where Debra Messing waits for a table at a Japanese restaurant with her daughter while celebrities walk right through is not an uncommon experience.

But Esoji is Nobu food minus the snooty help and pretentious decor.

The chef at Esoji is well known in New York because he has trained many of the chefs at Nobu and other top Japanese restaurants.

So don't let the $18 price tag for a bowl of soup discourage you from having a sensory experience unequalled anywhere in the US. I've eaten at the supposed best in all major US cities, and my opinion is that at Esoji is unequalled for its food.

One indication of this is that there are times when I was told an item is not available. After I finish whining, I heard that the chef didn't accept a vendor shipment because its quality was not good enough for him.

The big question is why would a superlative chef famous in New York move to little Prescott? Because his business partner wanted to raise kids away from the concrete, noise, and crime of New York City.

Lucky, aren't we?

1  Thank wilsonmar
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I love sushi and friends have told me to try this new place, saying it's at least as good, if not better, than Fujiyama (the long-standing Sushi Bar in Prescott). Well, the truth is, no, not by a long shot.

Inconceivably, there was a piece of broken glass in the sushi we ordered at Esoji.

Let us begin with the service; it is poor at Esoji. Our waitress seemed uncomfortable with the simplest tasks, nearly spilling drinks and walking away from the table while we were talking to her. I was feeling sorry for her because she appeared to be in training, working her first night, but I was told she has been there for months. She was very nice, but hardly adept as a server, and Esoji is a bit of a fancy place where one would expect an experienced waitstaff. Unfortunately, the other waiter continually interrupted the conversation at our table to regale us with his inane, undesired banter and attempt to remove items from the table that my friends were not finished with. But this is not much at all, the real trouble came from the kitchen.

Some of our orders came out fairly quickly, others took nearly an hour. I believed they had forgotten those late items, but they were brought out eventually. The presentation was truly attractive. Sauces were artistically drawn on and the serving dishes were interesting. I'm sure many people have enjoyed their meals here, but we're getting to the truly hazardous part of this review.

The Salmon in some rolls was turned, it was old. It smelled fishy, and had a chewy consistency. I've never had bad fish in a Sushi Bar before, but it didn't end there. After taking a bite of a piece of Rainbow Roll, I began to crunch on what I thought must be sand. Some of it I swallowed unhappily, but when I realized there was still a piece of it in my mouth, I decided to fish it out. It was a small, brown piece of glass. I felt so outraged that I had been fed glass, I took it back to the kitchen and presented it to the waitress. She looked at me and said I hadn't ordered anything, then she said she'd ask the chefs about it. I told her I wasn't looking for a refund or anything like that, but that I thought it was dangerous to feed people broken glass. I heard nothing more from anyone there about it after that. No apology. No explanation...

1  Thank Sonnybueno
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The owner is great and has a super sense of humor. Koji the new Sushi chef from Scottsdale is WONDERFUL, try the escolar a real treat. It is awesome not to have to go to Phoenix any more for fresh sushi!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 2, 2008

Visited Esoji (Japanese restaurant and sushi bar) for the first time last night and found the food there to be excellent! This is always a pleasant surprise in Prescott, as really fine dining is hard to find. I am not even a sushi fan, but there was plenty to choose from, and everything was top notch quality and the taste combinations were truly yummy. The special appetizer had cooked scallops and asparagus with lemon sauce in a rice roll, and it knocked our socks off! Miso soup and salad beforehand also excellent. They have some good beer and saki selections to choose from.

For main course I had tempura which was light and airy and very tasty, and the hubby had teriyaki salmon, which was delightful. The plate presentations were beautiful as well, and its a nice location, close to the courthouse square - take a stroll after dinner and enjoy this wonderful, quiet town.

I will be back - with friends! And i might even try some sushi for once.

Been to Esoji Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!