“Watery Fish”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I ordered the Chirashi sushi dish on my first and only visit. I always like ordering this dish because I can taste the quality of the sushi rice and seasoning, while enjoying each piece of sashimi. When the sushi chef was putting my entrée together, a Japanese man (owner?) said something to him about the fish being ‘watery.’ I thought he was just referring to the piece of tuna in my dish. I understand some Japanese and wish I had listened more closely, as I soon learned that all of the fish pieces were of inferior quality. The fish was not cured or handled properly, so it had no flavor and a very strange texture. The fish was not spoiled but my entrée was inedible. I do not recommend this restaurant for decent sashimi or sushi. Their sake and beer selections were fine.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Before the title is explained. I don't expect a Hiro type sushi experience in a sushi restaurant in a small town like Prescott, but there is the hope you stumble into a gem. Esoji is not that gem. The sushi is mediocre and hard to even say "average" as that is giving a sushi spot a negative. The sushi was loose and sloppy in its wrapping of 1 of 3 rolls I ordered--spicy tuna. And one of the others the tempura shrimp crunch roll was good I admit. Staff is nice enough. If a Japanese restaurant is owned by a Japanese family I'm sorry to say I expect to see a Japanese sushi chef somewhere. One star off for that and a Mexican sushi chef sorry to say does not cut it--pun intended ( see loose sloppy roll comment above). The most disturbing part was the title here. I have come to learn that many of the Asian owned businesses over my many years I have eaten out can be very very rude when it comes near or at closing time. This evening was the cake. You don't start cleaning the restaurant when it is 40 minutes prior to close with ammonia based cleaners plus even wipe down the sushi bar 3 feet to where customers are actively eating and drinking. Terrible plain terrible customer respect. After I shared that I couldn't finish my food because of the smells all you get is "sorry" than please come again. Sorry, I will never come again!

1  Thank hiactive
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised to find a sushi restaurant with such tasty rolls in a small town like Prescott. The ambiance is non existent, but who cares. The fish is fresh & there is a nice variety of sashimi & rolls to choose from. The crazy roll (tuna, salmon, cream cheese, crab stick, asparagus, cooked tempura style, topped with eel, banana tempura, mango sauce, & eel sauce) is my favorite. They have some very interesting & creative rolls here. They are delicious, but do not come cheap. Plan on $11-$15 a peice for the specialty rolls (ex: Vegas- $13) & ~$8 for more mellow selections (ex: Phillyroll-
$8). Consider this place treating yourself.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Being landlocked by hundreds of miles one would not expect good sushi in Prescott. It turns out that the owner and chef is top notch, relocated from NY. Presentation is beautiful, the room has a nice clean look, and I have found the service to be good. I especially enjoy when the owner is out front preparing the food, although the other chef's are quite competent. We usually ask the chef to pick our food - he'll ask if there is anything we don't like, and then we watch it prepared at the bar. We have always enjoyed the choices and feel lucky to have such a fine establishment in Prescott.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Although the food was quite good, and service was excellent, the open kitchen behind the sushi bar means the whole small space gets smoky. The booth seats are torn and patched with tape. A little tlc would go a long way in making this restaurant much nicer.