“Loved this place - fun, friendly and a trip down memory lane”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Motor Lodge

The Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Springfield, Missouri
“Loved this place - fun, friendly and a trip down memory lane”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our family of four just checked out today and we wanted to get online as soon as possible to rave about our experience at The Motor Lodge in Prescott. We had just touched down in Phoenix when we received a call from Joe that our room was ready ahead of the scheduled-check in time and we could go ahead and get in it as soon as we wanted. We arrived from the drive up from Phoenix and were pleasantly greeted by Joe and offered a drink on the house.

Other guests were sitting out on their patios, relaxing at the end of the day and it just felt like you were driving back into your childhood where people hung out, greeted each other and hung out.

Unit #5 was waiting for us: vintage 60s decor, carport, tandem bike for our use and loads of personality and charm in our room. I told Joe that the coffee table had to have been from my grandmother's estate sale, because I remember one exactly like it growing up - Brian said it was, in fact, his grandmother's table. Several types of old-style phones, from the old box phone with crank to the wall mount with rotary dial adorned the place. The lamps, side tables, vinyl couch, various transistor radios... all took me back to when I was a kid and hanging out with my cousins. Of course, the Liza Minelli needlepoint pillow completed the deal.

The stove was not functional, but we weren't going to use it. Microwave and coffee maker worked fine and that's all that was necessary. The beds were comfortable and the tvs were modern (much to our kids' liking). The old orange toy truck that cradled the lotions, soaps, and shampoo on the bathroom counter was a perfect touch.

As you can tell - we loved our stay. The ambience, the friendly reception and subsequent help with dinner and night activites just really started our vacation off on the right foot.

You're in a quaint little corner of the world - might as well ride the wave and stay in a real piece of Americana. The Motor Lodge will not disappoint. We will stay there again if we're ever back this way.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SarahDiFree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in room 10 over the 4th of July weekend. It was a "family" atmosphere with most of the other guests hanging out on their patios, playing games with the kids in the parking lot, and just having fun! Nicely restored "50's style" rooms, comfy bed, and a stone fireplace in our room. We spent evenings outside on our patio enjoying a glass of wine and a cigar! The owners and staff are super friendly and with grant any reasonable request. Beer/wine on check in, cookies for the road....what more do you need?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimmythec1
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I recently visited our daughter in Prescott, AZ and we had the opportunity to stay at The Motor Lodge. First, the owners and staff are friendly, fun and engaging. As we arrived to check in we were offered beer or drinks, gratis. They provided us with the best restaurant suggestions and went more than out of their way to make our stay the most enjoyable. The Motor Lodge is conveniently located just a few blocks from the Court Sqaure so it is just a quick walk to the main action downtown. The rooms were extremely clean, comfortable and retro modern funky. All this at very affordable rates. As we left and said our good bys, we were presented with fresh baked cookies for the road. nice touch.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and resorts in Arizona and Europe and I cannot recall a place my wife and I enjoyed more. There is a very good vibe and very good people rolling at The Motor Lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Dogilla
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed here when I had two days worth business in Prescott during the week, and opted to spend the night in town versus driving up from Phoenix twice. I was intrigued by the concept of a boutique motel, and I much prefer to stay at independently-owned/operated places than impersonal large chains if I can help it. The Motor Lodge has done a great job with keeping the historic/retro feel of the 50s & 60s intact, but with an appropriate level of modern upgrades.

From the moment I called to make the reservation to the moment I departed, the attentive and service-oriented staff exceeded my expectations. They were able to match my per-diem rate which brought the price of the room down into a reasonable range for me. When I checked in, I was offered a glass of wine or beer, and I was given fresh-baked cookies on my way out. The owner made some great recommendations for dinner and was able to "read" me & my dining preferences quite well, despite our limited interactions. The toiletries in the restroom included a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, but when I asked if regular conditioner was available the owner loaned me his partner's good stuff. :-)

I stayed in room #2, and there were lots of personal touches and unique features, such as sturdy mid-century furniture, cute antique toy cars decorating the shelves of the table, interesting art pieces on the walls, and a variety of reading materials. My king-sized bed was soft, comfortable, and clean. The outdoor patio area was great -- each room had an adjacent patio with plenty of seating, tables, and umbrellas. All the light fixtures, plumbing, and electronics in the room were in good condition and fully operational. I especially appreciated the full-sized drip coffee pot as those keurig things drive me nuts yet seem to be everywhere.

The reasons I am giving this place 4 stars instead of 5 -- bathroom size, overall cost, and noise. I am 5'6" with a slim/average build, but for larger guests (or those with accessibility issues) it would have been uncomfortable/difficult to use the toilet and shower. Though the owner was able to reduce my room price to match my per diem rate (for which I am very appreciative!) I thought the advertised rate of $99/night seemed a bit high for a place without a pool, breakfast, etc, particularly for a random weeknight. Don't get me wrong -- the owners have done a great job with what can be done on the property -- but it felt like more of a $60-80 place to me. Lastly, the walls and windows don't block much noise. I didn't have any issues with road noise, and all of my neighbors were very quiet, but I wouldn't recommend this place for, um, friskier couples.

Overall though, I was very impressed with the hospitality and service I received, which is the most important factor in my opinion. I am looking forward to staying here again in the future and would recommend The Motor Lodge to others looking for a fun and unique alternative to the whiskey row hotels or budget chains.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The reviews for The Motor Lodge are right on. We were greeted after a long ride with a cold beer and chilled wine at checkin. Enjoyed room 6 "the honeymoon suite", with it's retro furniture from the long gone Stardust Hotel. Each unit has it's own carport and patio. On our way to dinner, we enjoyed talking with some neighbors sitting outside.
The kingsized bed was super comfortable and we loved looking at all the artifacts in the room. It was quiet at night. We really enjoyed the vibe of this unique motel and the friendliness of the owner.
In the morning we were give hot chocolate chip cookies as we checked out. An excellent stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Khootie
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We recently spent two nights here in room number 7 and it was wonderful!

As others have mentioned, we were promptly greeted and offered drinks upon arrival. My boyfriend had a beer and I had a glass of wine.
I mentioned in my reservation request that I wanted a room further away from the road (based on the recommendation from others that the road can be busy and noisy). Brian let us choose between cabin number 10 and number 7. They were nearly identical in layout with different styling. We chose number 7 for no particular reason and had no regrets. As for the street being noisy, I didn't notice any noise at all. Perhaps June isn't the busy season, but it seemed like a small town with little traffic. They call it "rush hour" when more than two cars are waiting in a turning lane. :)
After selecting our room, Brian gave us a map of Prescott, pointed out some recommendations for dinner, gave us instructions for using the bikes on site, and left us in peace.
The cabin/room/unit itself is nice. I loved the quirky styling and bright accent colors. The furniture is a mix of every decade. We had these funky leather mod chairs that were so fun to relax in.
The bathroom was comically small as others have mentioned. If you're a girly-girl with more than two hair products and styling tools that need to be plugged in, this is going to inconvenience you considerably. However, if you can manage with just a mirror, there's a full length mirror outside of the bathroom that you can use for make-up or primping. I pulled up a chair and it worked well for me.
The bed was SUPER soft and comfortable. It felt like a feather bed that you could just sink into and never want to climb out. We loved it.
Since there isn't any breakfast served on site, we bought groceries to have breakfast in the room. (There's a Safeway grocery store just half a mile away. We rode the bikes there and back in just a few minutes.) However, since there is no stove and no microwave, you're basically limited to pastries and fruit (which was fine with me but the boyfriend wanted a little more sustenance). There is a coffee maker and we used that to make some hot water for instant oatmeal and that worked really well until we realized there was no silverware! That problem was easily solved by a quick trip down to the main office. They handed over two spoons to borrow without any hassle whatsoever.
Finally, I think it's worth mentioning that there's a sense of community built-in at this property. Guests are encouraged to enjoy the patios and socialize. Everyone we met was friendly and having a great time. We were also granted cookies at checkout as everyone else has mentioned.
There were no surprise fees or charges.
Overall, it was an excellent choice. We would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Prescott.

Room Tip: Most of the units have attached carports, which was nice. There are a few that don't though so m...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The place is great and the owners are wonderful. We stayed with our parents/in-laws and we all loved it. The place has a familiar Americana theme to it but it's done with an attention to detail and character that is unusual. Each room is unique. Although there's no pool or fitness center they have a fleet of very cool vintage bikes available for guests. The rooms have fireplaces, kitchenettes and a private carport directly adjacent to each room. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Did I mention that they also have great recommendations on where to eat etc?

Room Tip: Ask he owners, they won't upswell you.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family