“One roadside motel you'll want to come back to on every visit”
Review of The Motor Lodge

The Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our group rented four rooms on our visit to Prescott, AZ. We were a bit concerned about what we would find at a roadside motel but counted on the reviews to allay our fears. This place is oh so retro, furnished with 60's and 70's thrift shop finds (all in very good condition I might add). The decor is funky, surprising, and very comfortable. Not many people can pull this off in a way that not only works, but makes you not want to leave. Bathrooms are VERY small but clean. 3 of our 4 rooms had fireplaces, which was a nice touch. Each room had a small sitting area outside. The beds were very comfortable as were the pillows. There was a coffee maker in each room - an important factor when I travel. Also, the motel is within walking distance to Whiskey Row and shopping.

Joe, the proprietor, was very friendly and helpful. He advised us on restaurants and even made dinner reservations for us (El Gato Azul - the subject for another great review). We were warmly greeted when the 7 of us squeezed into his small office for check-in and were presented with a welcome cocktail. Nice touch Joe!

Every part of the small complex is filled with 'objets d'art' - including the big lighted traffic sign hanging off one of the patios, the tandem bicycle (available for your use) hanging on the garage wall, the little saucer chairs on the patios, and the funky collection of telephones from the 60's and 70's. There's even an old hi-fi stereo system with turntable in the suite and an old singer sewing machine in one of the cabinets. The rooms have big bedside lamps a la 1965 - a nice feature if you like to read in bed. Also, a nod to present times, there is a wall mounted flat screen TV and free wi-fi (password 'thegrooviest', of course).

I highly recommend The Motor Lodge - except to those who are looking for a big hotel experience. This place leaves a smile on your face as you comfortably drift off to a good night's sleep. Really, can you ask for anything more? We'll be back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Coltsneck

Reviewed January 21, 2014

WOW!! This was the perfect place for our stop in Prescott!! We spent 5 days visiting family and stayed in the new “house” which was incredibly well furnished and finished! It really was our home away from our home!!! The rooms, beds and bath, and full kitchen, etc. all were well used and appreciated! Everything was incredibly thought out and everything one could think of, was covered! Everyone was welcoming and tremendously helpful with dining suggestions and places to go
Prescott’s downtown area is just a couple of blocks down the road so this did not pose any problems for walking or shopping. Prescott just isn’t so huge as to prove difficult for anyone!!
The Lodge it’s self is just a throw back to a different time with every detail considered and executed to the absolute coolest of degrees! Everything and everybody has done an unbelievable job putting this “Lodge” together and I know that I will be back and staying here next trip!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SCB_JR
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Staff is very welcoming & helpful on local happenings. I enjoyed the amusing twist of nostalgia & retro design. Comfortable night's sleep & fresh baked cookies, as a send off upon checkout. Great value for a fun & cozy stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cafemonarch
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The motor lodge now has a cottage. My family stayed there last weekend for my birthday. The home is gorgeous and wonderful. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen and a pull out couch. It was even decorated for christmas with a small tree. This property is very peaceful and quiet as well. There were 5 of us and we had plenty of space. We will be back:)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank btworld
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I found the Motor Lodge online so I had a pretty good idea of what I'd be walking into. Yet, when I arrived, a list of things that exceeded my expectations unravelled.

We were welcomed by the manager upon check in and offered a beer or glass of wine, nice touch. The office was an antique store best of, so much cool stuff!

We stayed in cabin #10 and it was adorable. The brightness of the room hits you immediately upon stepping inside. The decor is not central to one style or even era, yet there is a cohesive feel that ties it all together. The fireplace was a selling point considering I had checked temperatures before booking and knew it would be below freezing that night. I must also point out that our beds were among the most comfortable I've slept in anywhere.

I loved that there were bikes everywhere just free for the taking. I think bike is the best way to take in a town and we had the option of tandem bikes or individual cruisers.

To call this place, the staff and owners charming would be like calling winning the lottery kinda lucky. I will make a point of going back at least once a year. I think you should too. Phoenicians, it's worth the trip. I should know, I drove from LA.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobschriner
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Everything you've read is true. This is a beautiful and lovingly restored motel - right out of the 1940's and 50's. The decorative attention to detail is amazing. Indeed, this should be a "must see" stop on the pilgrimage trail for all would-be aspiring design students. Can't say enough about the fabulous style. Beyond that, the motel is spotlessly clean, well-located, well-priced and well-attended. The owner Brian is terrific. At checkout we were given a to-go bag of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies! I mean...come on. Not only would I return to the Motor Lodge, I'm in the process of planning to do just that.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davarua
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This the most unusual motel I think I've ever stayed in period.
The staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. They offered great recommendations for dinner and other activities. In this regard I would put them in the top five staffs of any place I've stayed at. Ever.
Hoever, the rooms are very small - smaller than a room at most Motel 6 motels. The bathroom was tiny. The hallway going into the bathroom was about 30" wide. The shower was about 36" square. As I said, tiny.
The pillows are too soft and worthless. The shower flow was very nice.
Parking was also unique in that we had our own garage. Because all rooms do not have a garage some cars are parked in the uphill driveway parallel to the cottages which makes for s tight passage when large pick-up are parked there.
The in-window heater/AC unit is pretty noisy.
Having said all of that, the place is clean and comfortable. Combined with the friendly staff I rate The Motor Lodge as "Very Good".
If you want a slightly bigger room and a bigger bathroom, and maybe a less enthusiastic staff, then you should consider a Motel 6 at less than half the cost.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 4