Hideout Ranch
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$52
$44
$45
$50
  • Pool
All reviewscooked mealsfell in lovewestern experiencescratched the surfacebeautiful countrytamarasaddlelifehorseslandscapecowboydreamhorsebackranchmemoriesdesertaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hideout Ranch is located on the borders of Arizona and New Mexico near the Mexico border. It is in a location that no one would ever think to go and visit on their own - but once you get there - you are AMAZED. I am a single, 50 year female that has ridden horses before but I don't "ride." I went to Hideout Ranch to "get away" and to experience something new. From the moment I arrived, I knew this was going to be that experience that I would remember for a long, long, time.
With Mountains all around, the scenary is something to just stop and take in. I am from Florida and I must tell all - Hideout Ranch is the true western ranch nestled in between some of the most beautiful mountains and land you will ever see.
And as far as the animals - WOW! There are more than just horses to see. Now granted, if you go - you go to ride horses, but you must see all the animals! Tamara and Craig have handled all of their animals with pure love and treat them all as part of their family. This includes the cows, longhorns, bulls, goats, donkeys, dogs, cats, and of course the horses! They all have names and the animals (all of them) love being "loved." I petted them all! Including the bulls. It was amazing.
Now since folks come here for the horses, I want everyone to know - they have horses of all skill levels. Craig can listen to a person's riding experience or lack thereof, and determine the right horse for you in under three minutes. Plus, when you go riding, both Tamara and Craig, make sure you are "ok," that you are comfortable, and you feel "safe and secure." They have places to go riding for all different levels of riders also. Plus, all of the horses are friendly and want to have people around them. It's wonderful.
The lodging and food is another topic that everyone should know about - Hideout Ranch lodging is designed after the way Western towns were built. In fact, the area where visitors stay is like a little western town. The rooms are all very cozy and well maintained. If there is anythiing you need while there, just ask Tamara and Craig and they will do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is personal service at its best. And the food, well I ate more while I was there than I had in a long time. The food is all homemade hearty meals. The kind of food that we all grew up on - from pulled pork, to steak, to hearty breakfasts of pancakes and sausage. You feel like you are "back home" and your Mom is cooking for you. Truly something you won't forget.

Room Tip: The rooms are sweet and simple. All very similar. Clean and comfortable and designed after the "old west."
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Patty M
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I just returned from an eight-day stay at the ranch and would like to share my wonderful experience. Prior to my stay, I have never ridden or even touched a horse. In selecting a ranch for my stay, I was looking for a small-scaled place that taught and focused on horseback riding and Hideout Ranch fit the bill exactly. For people interested in large, spa-like ranches that offer horseback riding on the side, I advise to look elsewhere.

The ranch owners (Craig and Tamara) matched me up with an even-tempered, friendly horse (Washoe) and showed me the basics of riding. On the second day of my stay, I was already riding off the ranch to explore a nearby canyon and the trips just got more exciting and informative as the days progressed. The surrounding area has a rich history and the desert and mountainous scenery is spectacular. By the end of the stay, I have learned to trust Washoe and we both learned to 'read' each other.

The accommodations were very comfortable. I stayed alone at the bunkhouse, which had a living/dining room and a bedroom and can accommodate a family. It had heating for the cold desert nights and was cleaned daily. The DVD collection (mostly Westerns) kept me entertained at night.

I greatly enjoyed the mealtimes and not just because of the hearty, delicious food prepared by Mia. Tamara, Craig and Mia are people of diverse interests/experiences and the mealtimes were full of lively and informative conversation.

I have had a great time and would love to visit again. For more detail about my experience, please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Iridium8888
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had a super trip in October. The People, horses, trail rides, scenery, food, and accommodations were all terrific. I liked that most of the rides had a very interesting mix of cultural and natural history. My boyfriend liked this riding trip better than any of the others we've been on and said that he would like to return - something he's never said before!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I have next to NO riding experience, and the time we spent at Hideout was unforgettable. From the first trail ride we went on with VERY experienced riders, to the individualized instruction we got from Tamara, we never felt out of our depth, and we learned tons. The rooms are great, but you'll be spending most of your time on the wonderful horses, eating great food, or just shooting the breeze with folks in the Red Dog. Forget going to a ranch with programmed activities (heck, I think the only hung that was planned was dinner) -- at Hideout, you're actually going to visit family that you didn't know you had in Arizona who just happen to live on jaw-droppingly beautiful land and have a lot of horses, cattle, goats and dogs. Spending Thanksgiving there with a bunch of new friends (and Kip and Dale providing fabulous live music) was unforgettable as well. Craig, Tamara, Alyssa and Mia: we miss you folks already!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean_and_Kate
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It's been 2 weeks since my wife and I left the ranch and have been trying to words that are different from other reviewers,but I can't.I can say though that those 5 days at the ranch was the best holiday I have ever had.
We researched different guest ranches and they were more interested in the food,the swimming pools and golf courses in the area,not much about the trails.We found out about Hideout Ranch because of the trails and also for the other reviews about the horses they have.We were not disappointed with what we saw.Friendly and healthy and full of life.While there we met Tamera and another guest who were just finishing a ride.Craig paired me up with
Tell and my wife got a nice paint named Washoe and we all tacked up for our first ride.I have been on quite a few horses that I would not want to have again but with Tell I was looking forward to the rest of the week,he was that good.He is used to being in front but is comfortable in the middle of the pack or at the back,hes that cool.The trails that picked for us were awesome.We got there for change of seasons and the fall colours made for great pictures.Craig saved the best for last when went to the Chiricahuas Monument on our last day,breathtaking.
The meals are out of this world.3 of our meals were over a bbq with mesquite and the flavour was terrific after a days ride.You couldn't eat enough.The one bedroom cabin we had was cosy and quite comfortable and equipped with fridge and coffee maker
There is so much history on those trails that we are looking forward to returning as soon as possible.Thank you very much Craig,Tamera,Alyssa,Gail and Mia for a great holiday.Special thanks to Maldivian Addict for all the pictures.We arrived as strangers but left as friends.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple