“What a fun place if you enjoy feeding animals!”

Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Ranch
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Picacho
More attraction details
Owner description: Upclose encounters with lots of different animals including Ostrich, Deer, Lorikeets and so many more! Plus Monster Truck Tours complete with 4-wheelin' fun and ostrich fishin'. Gift Shop on premises.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our second stop here on this years vacation. We visited about two years ago and had alot of fun. For only $5 a person, you get a large cup of goat/donkey's/deer/ostrich food and a cup of lorakeet nectar. The good part is there are alot of people who drop their food on the ground, so if you just stop and take the time to pick it up, you can be there for hours feeding all the door and donkey's and other animals.

They added ducks to their animals and the give you a token to get a handful of duck food to feed the ducks.

Our family has two teenage boys, and my husband (who is NOT an animal lover). Well, we convinced him to come in with us since he didn't the last time we were here and he had a blast! Even he said he had alot of fun feeding the donkey's - they were so gentle.

Basically, this is a mini zoo with goats, donkey's, deer, ostrich, ducks, and lorakeets. You can stay as long as you like and buy more food if you need more.

They even have a small shopping area outside when you go to leave if you want a souvenier.

P.S. Almost forgot, but on weekends they have monster truck tours in the desert. We were not able to take advantage of this as we were there on a weekday.

This is the best kept secret and isn't that easy to find. Word of warning - in order to get to the ranch, you can see it from the highway, but you have to get off the highway and turn down a dirt road alongside the highway...it is not very well marked.

We asked the owners why they don't advertise more and they said if they did, they wouldn't be able to handle that volume of business.

Well worth the stop if you enjoy animals!

1  Thank Teambono

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I loved going to this place. The people are so nice and I goy a painted egg and a whole egg. the loris are the best part in my opinion.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

First off, if yoy buy anything from the gift shop make SURE you total it up yourself and get a receipt! By the time I got home I realized that I was overcharged by about $20.00 for my purchases! My daughter and I had fun feeding the animals but they are pretty darn aggressive. Hope they aren't being deprived in order to entertain visitors. We've been to many, many petting/feeding zoos and never seen animals so voracious. And then the poor goats up in the so-called "penthouse." you place feed in a cup attached to a conveyor belt and send the feed up to the goats. Well one of the belts got all twisted and the food would just fall to the ground before reaching the goat. Poor thing actually tapped his hoof against the cage (asking for food) and tried to crawl out of the pen (mind you it's at least 20 feet off the ground) to get the treats. They can't come down to get any food. And no one was around to fix that belt. Just kind of sad.

2  Thank SaguaroHugger
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were not sure what to expect when we pulled into the parking lot for this road side attraction. The location is just north of Tucson and appeared to be the only thing worth stopping for on our way to Phoenix.

Basically the Ostrich Ranch provides the opportunity to view and feed six different types on animals (donkeys, deer, ostrich, goats, duck, and birds). The staff is very friendly and helpful. For $5 you will receive a generous cup of animal feed, a token for duck feed, and a small container of nectar. The animals are set up in a horseshoe arrangement where you walk through at your own pace to feed by hand the donkeys, deer, and goats. The ostrich are fed via a feed chute or dish. Don't let them steal the cup from your hand. The lorikeets were the highlight of our visit. They will land all over you to drink the nectar from your hand.

Give this place a try. You won't be sorry!

1  Thank Jstaff83
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family visited this ranch a couple of weeks ago and had so much fun!! My kids absolutely loved feeding all the animals, espicially the lorikeets!! Got some great pictures! took the monster truck ride, learned some new things, the girl driving it was hilarious!!! Had such a great time, made some fun memories! Definitely do this if you are near the area!!