“Super clean place to camp”

Picacho Peak State Park
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Picacho
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors traveling along I-10 in southern Arizona can’t miss the prominent 1,500-foot peak of Picacho Peak State Park. Enjoy the view as you hike the trails that wind up the peak and, often in the spring, overlook a sea of wildflowers. The park and surrounding area are known for its unique geological significance, outstanding and varied desert growth, and historical importance. The unique shape has been used as a landmark by travelers since prehistoric times. One of the first recordings was in the 1700s by the Anza Expedition as it passed through the area. The park offers a visitor center with exhibits and a park store, a playground, historical markers, a campground and picnic areas. Many hiking trails traverse the desert landscape and offer hikers both scenic and challenging hikes. Hike prepared and know your limits. Bring plenty of food and water and wear proper footwear. Enjoy the beauty of the desert and the amazing views.
Phoenix, Arizona
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Super clean place to camp”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We camped in a tent on a Thursday night in March. Warmish during the day, nice and cool at night. The bathrooms and picnic tables are super clean... cleanest campground I've ever seen. The camping sites are nicely spaced and it was very quiet as far as the people go... seems to be an older crowd camping there. You will hear some noise from I-10 off in the distance and the train... again off in the distance. Flowers were just starting to bloom and it was very green. My daughter loved the nice playground. I would definitely stay again. You can reserve a spot online.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank JanetB2656

Lake Elsinore, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Great place to land after a long day of driving”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We camped here the first night of an 18 day vacation. Figuring it would be a long drive from Lake Elsinore, CA I had been looking for a place no further than Tucson, and was pleased to find Picacho Peak State Park just north of the city.

Reservations can be made on-line at reservations@azstateparks.gov. The price per night is $25 with a $5.00 reservation fee. This site had electric hookups.

You can see the campground from the southbound I-10, so I was a bit concerned about road noise but the sites are situation on a hill, well off the interstate, so it wasn't bad at all.

I'd recommend sites on the southern end of the campground, because the views are better looking east, but overall, it is a lovely place. Saguaro and other native plants are intersperced throughout the grounds, and there are several hiking trails if you plan on staying any length of time.

We didn't use the showers, so I can't comment on the bathroom facilities. The building looked clean and well-maintained.

I'd highly recommend this campground to anyone looking for a place to stop en route to points east of Tucson.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank CalGal1954
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Slightly harder than "moderate"”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was visiting my sister in Tucson, and we decided on this hike. It was the first hike I've ever done, so it was sort of difficult for me. But for people who do hikes, I don't think it will be a problem at all. There were a few parts where you need to use the cables to get up, so it is recommended that you bring gloves. It was a great view and the weather was great in mid February. Be sure to bring water and it's a good idea to bring snacks for up top!

Visited February 2013
Amherst, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“If You Like Hiking in the Desert, Try Picacho Peak”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I climbed as far as the pass; about half way up the mountain, before I ran out of time. I understand that the truly spectacular part of the trail is further on, but my hike was enjoyable enough. Somewhat strenuous, but not technical. I did it in cool winter weather. Summer would be brutal here. The view, even at the start of the trail, is excellent. There is a small visitor center with gift shop. There are also picnic areas and perhaps even campsites, but I was only there long enough for the hike. This was site of one of the western-most skirmishes of the Civil War, so history buffs may also want to drop by.

Visited March 2012
Sacramento, California
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“perfect place to stretch your legs”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We like to stop here for an hour or two when driving I-10. It has very nice areas for a picnic and several easy trails in a beautiful desert area. There is a large variety of plants to see up close; and surprisingly, green grass underneath it all in Dec. and Jan. After hours of bleak interstate this is a refreshing change. For those with more time and energy, the ranger told us about several more strenuous hikes that promise beautiful views as well.

Visited January 2013