“Best Restaurant in Phoenix”

Donovan's Steak & Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak & Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Cross street: Camelback & 31st
Description: Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer.
Jackson, California
“Best Restaurant in Phoenix”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We eat here at least once a year on my son's birthday in September because it is his favorite restaurant. Its not cheap, but it is wonderful. The kids always enjoy themselves and I like that they experience formal dining. The service is superb and the food is wonderful. We had lobster and steak, and everything was just perfect.

• Visited September 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak & Chop House, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello Cathie183,

Thank you for your kind review! I'm very glad you enjoyed your visit to our restaurant and that you make it the "go-to" spot for special occasions. I'm also very pleased to hear that your children enjoy it as well! Thank you again for your positive feedback and business, it's greatly valued and appreciated. I hope you'll join us again soon!

Phoenix, AZ
“Finally - a QUIET restaurant!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

So nice to have a great dinner and able to carry on a conversation without having to yell over the background music! But it doesn't come cheap - prices are pretty steep.

Definitely for a more mature crowd, although the night we dined there were a number of 30ish. The place was busy - and it was a Tuesday night - we took that as a good sign.

The New York strip steak was not as tender as expected, but still very flavorful and cooked to order. The rack of lamb was cooked to perfection. Attentive wait staff but not at all hovering - let us enjoy our special dinner without constant interruptions.

The whiskey was a healthy pour <smile> and there are many wine options to select from. Be sure to save room for dessert - the crème brulee is to die for.

• Visited September 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak & Chop House, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello SmallWonderAZ,

I'm very pleased to hear that you had such a great time at our Phoenix location. I also saw your review on OT (it took me a second to realize it sounded familiar!) and I'm very glad that your trip was so memorable you're spreading the word. Thank you for your feedback and business and I hope you'll dine with us again soon!

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

In all the years I've lived in the valley I've never tried Donovan's. I'm so glad they offered a special on Livingsocial because if it wasn't for this who knows when I might have tried them, if ever.
Wonderful, from my martini, wedge salad, king crab legs and bone- in ribeye. Everything was excellent ! I will visit again and very soon. I'm already craving one of those martinis and a ribeyes! Service was also very good and friendly.

• Visited September 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak & Chop House, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Rizan,

I recognized your review and I know I've already responded to it (a couple of times, I think!) but a big THANK YOU for spreading the word about your wonderful experience! Can't wait to see you again!

Atascadero, CA
“Great dinner...”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We dined here on a living social coupon. We are from out of state and were in the area for the labor day weekend. After purchasing the coupon I made a reservation using open table. The restaurant called the day before to confirm our reservation. From the time we pulled up to the valet parking to the time we left we felt like a king and queen. Every one of the staff was exceptional. The meal was perfect as well. I was a little worried if we would be treated differently because we had a coupon but the water was actually excited and told us he hoped we purchased more than one to use later.. I would return if had the chance..

• Visited August 2013
Hello DCarpe,

I'm very glad you had a wonderful time at our Phoenix location! I'm also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the living social promotion. Thank you for your kind feedback and business and I hope you'll join us on another trip soon!

Scottsdale, Arizona
“The best steak & lobster experience in years”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We'd been to Donovan's before, with mixed experiences, but for my husband's birthday we decided it was time to visit again. For a hot summer Friday night in Phoenix we were surprised how busy the restaurant was, yet our service was impeccable, gracious and knowledgeable. A comfortable booth per our request, with prompt ice water provided and beverage inquiries made. Wines by the glass were limited, but our server made what turned out to be a good recommendation. Our only surprise for the evening was the limited choice of wines by the glass, no favorite cabs (for us) such as Jordan, Heitz, Silver Oak. We had already planned to each order a steak and share a lobster tail; when our server advised us there was a filet & lobster special, I ordered the special and my husband had the New York Strip. Donovan's entrees come with sides of potatoes (several styles to choose from) and fresh vegetables, so remember this if you are comparing price to Ruth's Chris, where everything is a la carte. We started our meal with one order of the evening's lentil soup - fresh, light & flavorful -- and one of the chopped salad, tasty but a bit too heavy on the balsamic vinaigrette. Then on to the steaks which were prepared perfectly. The highlight for us was the good-sized lobster tail to share -- the best we've ever had. Sweet, most, tender...we've had many lobster tails but this surpassed them all. A complimentary birthday crème brulee wrapped up the occasion. As the valet retrieved our car, we both said we need to return here more often. There's been a time or two when a food item wasn't right, but they've always gone beyond expectations to make up for it. This visit was perfect.

• Visited August 2013
Hello CJSArizona,

I'm very pleased you and your husband had such a wonderful experience at our Phoenix location. I'm also very glad you found your meals delicious from start to finish. I'd like to thank you for your kind feedback and business and I hope you'll dine with us again soon!