“Delicious food, ok service, and lousy atmosphere.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arrivederci Trattoria

Arrivederci Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Arrivederci Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,134 of 3,036 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ahwatukee Foothills
Cross street: 42st and Chandler Blvd
Mesa, Arizona
“Delicious food, ok service, and lousy atmosphere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I ate at Trattoria Arrivederci with another couple on Saturday night. Having read the previous reviews, I made a reservation in advance. I was glad that I did, because the place was packed! It was also quite dark and loud (sounded like karaoke coming from the bar area), with tiny tables placed too closely together. This restaurant would benefit greatly from relocating to a larger space.

We were shown to our table right away, and our drink order was taken very shortly after. I hadn't even had a chance to look at the wine list yet, but oh well. The ordering process went off without a hitch (except that the wine that I asked to have brought with my entree came out with my appetizer). I had looked at the menu online, and was really looking forward to the mushroom martini appetizer. This was quite disappointing, and shame on me for falling for the "food served in a martini glass is trendy" gimmick. The martini glass was full of mushrooms and some goat cheese, but the olive tapenade was missing. The sauce was VERY watery, and by the time it cooled down enough in the middle for me to eat more than a quarter of it, I had lost interest. My husband ordered the chicken cordon bleu appetizer, which we both found to be very tasty, if tiny. When they say "miniature," they mean it!

And then, we waited. And waited. We actually saw the waitress look at our table, register that we didn't have our entrees yet, make a "WTH" expression, and turn back toward the kitchen. And then we waited some more. At no time were we given an apology or an explanation about what was taking so long. I bet our friends wished they had ordered appetizers, too, with as long as we had to wait for our entrees.

When the entrees finally arrived, they were delicious. I ordered the halibut special, which was flaky, moist, and delicious. My husband tried a bite and he said it just kept getting yummier in his mouth. He and one of our friends had the shrimp ravioli, and our other friend had the gnocchi. Every plate was virtually licked clean.

Since the restaurant was dark, cramped, loud, and less than half a mile from our friends' house, we decided not to hang around over dessert & drinks. My husband asked for the check and put his credit card and our Groupon inside the black folder. The waitress took it, brought it back, and announced to the entire table "I don't know whose credit card this is, but you can see here that I took off $40 for your Groupon." Classy, really. My husband and I were embarrassed, because we were treating our friends to dinner, and it's tacky to flash around how much you pay when you take someone else out. That combined with the amount of time we had to wait for our entrees with no communication cut into her tip.

All told, it's a good thing the entire menu is available to go. That's the only way I'd recommend trying this place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Tempe, Arizona
“Tasty and Romantic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My beau and I love coming to this restaurant. The lighting is absolutely perfect for a romantic dinner. The caprese salad is so scrumptious! I know it's strange to order a mai tai at an Italian restaurant, but seriously...best mai tai in Chandler! The only issue I would note was that our server did not seem to be in a great mood on our last visit. He was rushed and seemed frustrated, but overall it was a pleasant visit. We will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Durand, Michigan
“wow - veal picatta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

best veal I have had in years! nice staff - nice wine list - nice atmosphere. Would recommend this place to anybody who is in the area.

• Visited May 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best Homemade Tiramisu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Came as a single diner on a busy Friday nite. had great service by Giovanni and staff. The homemade pesto dipping sauce for the crusty delicious bread, the beef carpaccio, the linguini with FRESH clams, were all very very good! The tiramisu was incredible, with light yellow cake, creamy choc. mousse with bits of espresso in it, and the topping of espresso powdered was to die for! Wish I lived here! The clientele appeared to be repeat diners and locals. The room is small so make reservations! Not a good place for little children as the seating is tight..

Visited March 2013
Chandler, Arizona
“The encore was as good as expected!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

It has been over a year since we ate here but a groupon set it up. I had remembered that we liked the food a lot and was happy to try again. It was 6pm on a Sunday night and they were just about full! Our waiter, an older gentleman, took good care of us, he was quite busy but he didn't overlook us. The bread, which I had remembered to be very good, still was, hot, soft focacia served with a small plate of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was already poured and it had more vinegar than we wanted. We ordered ravioli di pollo e portobello (chicken and mushrooms) and linguini vongole, cozze, e calamari (mussels, clams and squid), both $17. The ravioli were delicious, 6 of them in a creamy mushroom sauce, and the linguini were covered in jet black mussel shells, small white clam shells and squid rings in a tomato based broth. I ordered the red rather than the white sauce. They put on as much parmesan cheese as you wanted, even if excessive! I am taking away a half star for the pre-poured oil and vinegar and for the pre-grated cheese. Our waiter did everything you would want except smile and show a bit of personality. This is not a complaint but an observation. Arrivederci is a 4.5 star restaurant with moderate prices and a lovely ambiance.

• Visited November 2012