“Disappointing”

Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley
Ranked #50 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed January 3, 2009

This is a new hotel (built in 2007), but needs lots of improvements. Staff is rude an far from helpful. The breakfast is the worst at any RI I have stayed in. Wallpaper is peeling, as are the doors in the rooms. Beds were missing sheets and when we asked for more, the staff was unhelpful and gave us pillowcases instead. There were no towels at the pool. Worst of all, there was a very unusual and loud noise in the room, like a model airplane or something. It's hard to believe this is a RI.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank MNwanderers
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley

Reviewed November 30, 2008

Great mid-range hotel. All new, very clean, and the decor is welcoming and nice. This hotel shares a pool with a Courtyard by Marriott (also new), which is on the same lot and a bit less expensive.

Our room and the kitchen in it were very nice, hotel employees were helpful, and we were happily surprised to get a free, warm breakfast buffet daily with the room. The hotel is conveniently located in a huge new shopping area, which includes, e.g., a WalMart grocery store, Lowes, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, and a bunch of other restaurants, stores and theaters.

The hotel is very convenient to the highway (Interstate 17). Took us about 25 minutes without traffic to get from the airport car rental place to the hotel (get off on Exit 218). Interestingly, though, our GPS system could not find the hotel, presumably because the area is so new.

I'd stay here again. Nice, clean place, easy to get to.

fourdoor

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank fourdoor
Reviewed November 16, 2008

When travelling on business I prefer hotels with kitchen facilities so booked this as it was reasonably close to work. I normally consider Residence Inn comfortable but don't particularly look for them over other brands. It just so happened this was closest to work with the room facilities I like.

I really enjoyed this hotel, it is pretty new so feels clean and fresh, the staff were very helpful in advising local restaurants and the facilities were excellent. Complimentary breakfast was good with a decent selection (if a little samey after 2 weeks), the gym was reasonable and pool a decent size. There is an attached Marriott Courtyard with a bar if you need a beer, although the managers reception (Mon to Wed) has a selection of beers and wine.

The WiFi access was free and resonably fast, but tended to slow down in the evening - just the numbers accessing it I guess.

Overall this was an excellent hotel at the price, not a 5* hotel but 5* for what it gave at the price - recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2008

This is a new hotel and the decor is very nice. We stayed in room 418 (a 2 bedroom) for a week and the room is nice, the grounds are very clean, breakfast is good and the pool is huge and uncrowded. Also a very nice a exercise room with airconditioning.

The staff at this hotel is great - very helpful and knowledgeable.

The only complaint I have about this hotel is that all the 2 bedroom suites are located directly above the sports center (tennis courts, basketball court) and people are allowed to use this area until 11 p.m. What happens is that teenagers use it as a skateboard park and gathering place so we heard loud voices, yelling, loud laughter, basketball games and tennis matches up until 11 o.m. every night. The staff tries their hardest to keep the noise down, but there are people using this sports court at night who are not staying there - people who have just jumped the fence to use the pool, the covered tables and the sports court, so it is hard for the staff to man the front desk and keep track of what is going on in the courtyard. It would be better if they kept the sports court open until 7 p.m. and then closed it.

Because of this, we would most likely not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank roomcritic
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I was actually bumped from one Residence Inn in Glendale and moved 21 miles away to the Happy Valley Location. At first I was pretty mad, and did let anyone on the other end of an 800 number know.

However after staying at the hotel, I have to say this was the best Marriott experience I have ever had. Maybe it was because I had complained so much before arriving, or perhaps the hotel is just that great.

The rooms are very spacious, the staff is more than spectaular and I cannot say one bad thing about this hotel, besides location. It was somewhat far from the stadium, and the fair grounds the reasons for my trip. However once I got over the mileage, my overall exeperience at the hotel was exceptional.

I would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My family and I spent a week here. And I just have to say it was the best room we ever stayed at. What a fantastic room. My wife and I had our own bedroom. Our daughter slept in one of those couches that open into a bed. We had a our own kitchen. We didn't do any cooking but if we had too we had everything from pots and pans to silverware to do it. The refridgerator had a auto ice machine. and lots of closet space. I slept like a log on their bed. They had central AC through out the room. Not one of those noisy AC that stick out a wall. With the Temperture over 100 outside I was cozy under my bed covers at night. We had a HD TV in the livingroom and bedroom. The service was fast and fantastic. If we needed something they were there in minutes. And it was CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. All this for $90 a day. WOW! But keep in mind that this price is in their off season (summer). In the winter when people want to get away from the cold places they come here. But the price of the room is double. So if you can handel the summer heat here. Its worth the money and a Great placed to stay. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Lovely clean, modern hotel, everything still seems new. Staff were friendly. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, finished to a high quality. The kitchen was well-equipped with all the necessaries- fridge, hob, oven, microwave, delph etc. and must not forget the dishwasher! The bed was very comfortable, with crisp clean linens. There was a second television in the bedroom. The bathroom had a separate vanity area with a second closet. You also won’t need to bring an iron or hairdryer with you as they are provided. This is probably common and maybe some of you are going ‘duh!’ but being from Europe I found this to be refreshing, as when I travel in Europe I always need to bring one because more often than not no iron is provided!
The breakfast, which was included, was very good. If you wanted to make waffles, batter and a waffle maker were available.
Just make note that this hotel is located outside of Phoenix, making it some distance from Phoenix’s main attractions. However, it’s convenient to access I 17 and 101. There is a shopping mall very close by with restaurants, a cinema and shops. I didn’t know this until I arrived but the hotel will do grocery shopping for you and have it in for when you arrive. I think this is a great facility. A Wal-Mart is close by if you fancy doing your own shop.
There is also a gym, which seemed well equipped, I just looked not used! However, I did use the self-service laundry room. You need you’re room key to access it. It has 3 or 4 washing machines and about the same number of dryers. It costs $1 and detergent is available from reception at no extra charge. And speaking of charges, there were none for the bottled water left in the room or for wireless internet access.
We had a very comfortable stay here and would definitely recommend it if being outside of Phoenix wasn’t an issue.

• Stayed: July 2008