Review of Kai Restaurant

Kai Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kai Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,233 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: I-10 and Wild Horse Pass Blvd
Description: Recipient of the Coveted AAA Five Diamond Award and Forbes Five-Star Award, Kai, meaning 'seed' in the Pima language, features a menu rich in creativity, history and Native American culture. Executive Chef Thomas Riordan and Chef de Cuisine Ryan Swanson incorporate the essence of the Pima and Maricopa tribes and locally farmed ingredients from the Gila River Indian Community to create unforgettable masterpieces. James Beard Award-winning Chef Janos Wilder is consulting chef for KAI and is renowned for creating unique and indigenous menu experiences. Open for dinner Tuesday - Saturday, reservations are strongly recommended. Kai maintains a smart business casual dress code. It prohibits hats, T-shirts, and shorts for both ladies and gentlemen, including open-toed sandals for men. Dress hats for ladies are acceptable. Denim is not preferred. As a courtesy to other diners, please refrain from using cell phones or laptops in the dining room.
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Simply one of the best dining experiences possible. It is expensive, but if you appreciate fine dining you won't find a better restaurant anywhere.

Reviewed July 18, 2009

I am not big on writing reviews so I will make this short. Kai is THE best restaurant we have been to in the Phoenix Scottsdale area. The setting, the ambience, THE SERVICE,
and the food are truly unique. We celebrated our 22nd anniversary at Kai and have nothing but wonderful memories, not one negative. This is a rarity.

Reviewed May 27, 2009

We dined at Kai last week and found the experience utterly enjoyable. The food although not in any way bad was not spectacular when compared with other restaurants that we have dined at across the world. The stand out was the service although some may find it a bit over the top.

Upon arrival, we were given the option of eating on the terrace or waiting for a table inside. Since it happend to be cooling off outside, we elected the former and we treated to great views of the sun setting over the mountain ranges. Bottled water was provided throught dinner (without an additonal charge) and the glasses were constantly kept full.

After an explaination of the source of the restaurants ingredients and hisotry of the indigenous people who run the property, we were presented with menus and the stories about the one of a kind picture on each menu. My wife and I chose an appetizer, salad and we both had elk for a main course. Cutlery was either presented cold (for cold courses) or warmed for the main course. Plates were always presented and removed in unison and each course was accopanied by wait staff exclaiming "Mr and Mrs X, you next course is..."

By the end of the meal we were too full to have dessert so a small tray of chocolates was presented with the cheque. The Casino/Resort offers free valet parking to guests of the restaurant and when we went to retrieve or vehicle, the valet could not find the key --- because the waiter had already called ahead for the car and it was waiting under the portico. Inside was a thank you note form the wait staff, two bottles of cold water and a box of chocolates for the road.

Many little things make a dining experience memorable and while the food was not outstanding, the service helped fill the void. Worth a drive outside of downtown Phoenix proper.

Reviewed March 16, 2009

We ate with friends at Kai this past Saturday night. Let me tell you, I am no spring chicken and this is one of the best all around restaurants I've ever experienced. I've eaten at great restaurants in Europe, Bermuda, NYC and other major cities so I feel I have something to compare Kai to. The food was phenomenal and I have never experienced better service in my life. The young men that waited on us were very professional and knew their stuff, but yet we could joke around with them and feel extremely comfortable. I had the Duck which was served with Foie Gras. I love Foie Gras so much I also had it for an appetizer because I never dreamed that my duck entree would be served with such a large portion of Foie Gras. I was in heaven! My husband had the Elk and he absolutely loved it. This is VERY expensive restaurant. I'm not sure what the tab came to as our friends were taking us out, but I'm sure it was at least a $500.00 meal (for 4) after it was all said and done (inc. cocktails & wine). Also we sat outside on the patio and watched the sun set. It was beautiful.

Reviewed October 10, 2008

Wonderful Restaurant! Interesting menu with a great staff. This is a 5 Star dining experience from top to bottom. The Native American wait staff is very attentive and the food is beautiful and interesting. The $46 Buffalo steak I had was out of this world. This is not an everyday menu, but rather an interesting mix of Native American flavors and current food trends. Not cheap, but well worth it for a special occasion. There was even Voss bottled water and chocolates waiting for us in our car. Nice touch. My only complaint is that this 5 star quality restaurant is basically in the lobby of a Sheraton.