“Tacos that stay on your mind”

Rito's Market & Mexican Take Out
Ranked #318 of 3,255 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My friend brought me here two weeks ago when we happened to be in the area, and I asked that we stop at Rito's again when we were up that way yesterday. What motivated me was the memory of their chicken tacos, which had stayed vividly on my mind. Their food is very fresh and has a homemade quality to it, and I love the way they make their taco shells. We arrived shortly after opening and it was a Saturday, so the place was already packed. We actually waited nearly a half-hour for our order, but it was worth every minute. I wanted the chicken tacos again but they weren't offering the chicken yesterday, so I ordered beef tacos. Not quite as tasty as the chicken variety, but that's just my individual taste. They had those same tasty shells. I also got a cheese crisp, chips and guacamole. All were delicious and had that same homemade, fresh taste. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Rico's but won't have any errands in Phoenix, so will have to make it a pilgrimage. That's fine with me, and I'll call in my order beforehand. I highly recommend a stop at Rico's for anyone who happens to be in the area or just likes to sample great Mexican food. Be aware that the portions are small, in line with the tiny price, so be sure to load up on the goodies. As well as great food, Rico's has friendly service and the genuine quality of a place that's real and part of a neighborhood instead of a chain outlet. Nice to be around the locals as they enjoy a treat that keeps them coming back and standing in line in anticipation.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This "dive" has wonderful food and their clients are regulars. I went there because I heard about it and now I'm a regular also. Try their green chili burrito and you'll agree. It is fabulous! You'll be a regular before you know it. No seating inside and limited seating outside. It's more of a take-out place.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Most people describe this as a “hole in the wall” place, and that aptly describes it, I think. Formerly a house in an older district of Phoenix, opposite a school, it doesn’t stand out at all and there is no signage. There were photographs of the exterior on the web sites we looked at for reviews and there is also an outside seating area to the south of the building, so we knew we were in the right place.

Rito’s has been there for about 35 years, family owned and operated. They keep the menu simple: Mexican food done right. We tried the green chili chimichanga. The pork was very tender and the green chili was not too hot (I’m a wimp when it comes to spicy foods). Portions were large. There is also a red chili version with beef machaca meat, which I understand is a bit hotter. I’m not big on refried beans, but since theirs get rave reviews, I ordered a side of beans. They appeared quite runny when they were served up hot, but as they cooled they firmed up a bit. Might be the cheese, might be the lard; whatever it was, they tasted excellent.

This is a popular place, with long lines at lunch times. You can avoid a long wait by phoning in your order and then just going to the pick up window to collect it. They have a web site now, ritosmexicanfood14st.com, which shows their menu. Be aware they accept cash only but their menu states they have an ATM.

The outside seating area is small, so it gets very crowded, and there is no shade, so in warm weather it can get uncomfortably hot. If you can, plan to take your food somewhere else to eat it. If you’d still like to eat outside, Coronado Park is not far away, on 12th Street just north of McDowell Road (about ¾ of a mile north) which has picnic tables and shade.

This place is a gem and I hope to go back soon.

1  Thank Babaloom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on my way to Flagstaff from Phoenix. I'm still thinking about the guacamole 5 days later.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Ritos is only a take out establishment (oh, there are a few tables outside). If you want absolutely the best green chile burrito in Phoenix, this is the place. If you want a bean burro---it it's excellent also. I'd love to have the recipe for their green chile as this beats all places we've tried from Page, AZ to Tucson, AZ for a green chile burro. Way to go, Rito's keep up the great food :)