“Very Average”

Hyatt Place Phoenix - North
Ranked #41 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel Oct 31st - Nov 3rd. The staff was very friendly! We had a king bed room; very small; bathroom was very small; while the room was clean - the shower area was not - the shower is tiled and I felt like the tile had not been clean for a while - wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Nicholas R, Manager at Hyatt Place Phoenix - North, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Shari,

I sincerely apologize for your experience at our hotel. It is not only our wish to meet the expectations of our guests but to exceed them. I also apologize for the condition of your bathroom. I will make sure that I make it a focal retraining point during our next staff meeting next week. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Gallery Staff though. We would greatly appreciate if you would give us another try the next time you are in Phoenix so that we can show you how well we can be and to see the improvement with our Housekeeping staff. Again thank you for reviewing our hotel.

Assistant GM

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and daughter stayed here one night in October and I was very satisfied with the property. It has a European feel and is very clean. The wireless worked well, the HD TV quality was excellent and they have an upgraded 24 hour menu which has several good offerings on it. The pool was heated, but a bit too small for a lot of family fun; however, this a great hotel for the business traveler. The service was very friendly and quick and the parking is well lit. There are also several good places to eat. In particular, I recommend Bobby Q's which is a BBQ joint.

The only negative for the room was that the air conditioning unit did not have an option for continuous operation. (Business travelers will know what I'm talking about). The unit shut on and off continuously to meet the set temperature. This can be a major annoyance to light sleeper.

Having said this, I still highly recommend the property. Competitive rates are also available for the weekends and this place is convenient to Rose Mofford sports complex.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-freeway facing room if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg L

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We really appreciate the feedback. I know exactly what your talking about with the A/C units. We are looking to replace all of the A/C units when we do our full hotel remodel in late 2014. We already have a couple new units and they do allow for that continious flow. Nevertheless, we are very please that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly. We hope that you will stay with us again for your travels through sunny Phoenix.

Kind Regards,
Assistant GM

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I chose this location due to its proximity to the University of Phoenix Stadium, as we were in Phoenix to watch the Seahawks (along with 1000's of other 12's!). We got this hotel on Hotwire and was pleased with the price and location. The hotel is very conveniently located right next to the freeway exit off of I-17. Plenty of restaurants and stores nearby.

The hotel itself was very nice. The rooms are very large with a living area and a separator wall from the sleeping area. My only complaint was that there is still a stench of cigarette smell when you first walk into the room, even though it is a non-smoking room. I realize that's a hard thing to get rid of so if that's the worst of it, I can deal.

The front desk staff was always very friendly. The breakfast buffet was great and well stocked. This guy from Seattle could have used a bit stronger coffee, but we also brought our own for the room, so no big deal. They have a small convenience counter with reasonably priced items.

We did feel a little out of place as most of the clientele were business customers, but we didn't let that get to us. Another advantage for the location is if you are going to points north such as Sedona, Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon, you can shave 20-30 minutes off of your drive compared to other Phoenix locations. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite the freeway. You won't hear anything.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here for work, and there are some great things about it: the staff are very helpful and pleasant, room is nice and spacious, and it was very convenient for parking as well as where I needed to go for business. To echo previous reviews, you may want to rethink staying here if you can't get a room opposite the freeway. Earplugs and Ambien did not work to effectively reduce the noise and get a decent sleep. The A/C thermostat is also very inaccurate - you have to go way below your desired temp to get what you want. Finally, if you're in a hurry to go west during rush hour, plan on an additional 10-15 minutes as the traffic is way yucky. I will stay here again if - and only if - I can get a room opposite the freeway.

Room Tip: Get a room opposite I-17.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Nicholas R, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Phoenix - North, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to do that. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and give us another chance to have you as our guest.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we were traveling with a group and this was the hotel the group was assigned. The room was clean, but dated. Heavy popcorn ceiling, peeling doors in the bathroom. THe biggest issues were:
1. NOISE. If you are a light sleeper, get a room opposite the freeway. It feels like you are sitting right on top of the interstate.
2. A/C the unit was controlled by temperature, but the thermostat is not accurate. To get the room cool, we had to set it at 64. It kept coming off and on all night, and blow directly onto the bed. If you are sleeping on the sofa in the living room, the circulation quality is not good, and therefore gets very stuffy in the living room. It was only 85 during the day, so it wasn't a huge issue, but I can imagine this is a big problem in the summer months.
I did not eat breakfast, but must say, it did look better than most hotel complimentary breakfasts. The staff were heating up breakfast sandwiches, eggs, etc. Lots of cereal choices, juices, Starbucks coffee.
I checked in very early, and the room was ready at 8:30 in the morning, which is usually unheard of. I did not expect the room to be ready, but it was and they gave me the keys, vey nice.
Overall, it was an average hotel, not a great location, not a lot of dining close by. The area is convenient if you are doing business in one of the offices in the complex. Otherwise, I would chose another location.

Room Tip: away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sundance1
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Upon arriving the staff was a great help. Check in was quick and easy. Hotel was clean as were the rooms. The rooms were pleasantly a decent size. The breakfast served was above par. we would and will definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Nicholas R, Manager at Hyatt Place Phoenix - North, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Mr. Tony,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you would stay again with us. Returning customers are very important to us and we greatly appreciate your business. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. If there is anything else that we can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me directly (602) 997-8800.

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stay at a Hyatt 6-8 days a month all over the country for work so I know what to expect. This however was the most unpleasant Hyatt experience I have had. Desk guy at check-in was nice and helpful. Room was on the 3rd floor at one end. Which I learned repeatedly was directly across from the ice machine. Upon entering the room, I went to use the bathroom and was shocked to find it in the condition it was. The toilet had been used but not flushed and was full of toilet paper and feces. I flushed which I can only say caused an horrible stench to appear. I called the front desk to complain and they were apologetic and said there were "plumbing issues" that day. This was not a back-up, or a plumbing problem, this was a no-flush situation and it had sat for sometime. I flushed the toilet another 4-5 times, left the exhaust fan on and went around the corner to Pappadeux's seafood kitchen which is walking distance and has great food. I returned an hour later and the stench was no longer noticeable. The next morning in the shower I found long dark hairs, where were not mine in the tub and on the shower wall. The room or at least my room was clearly not cleaned or cared for well, I found it quite funny that Housekeeping was knocking at my door at 8AM to try to clean the room. This was my first stay at this Hyatt and will be my last from my perspective, there are several Hyatt location in and around Phoenix that I have never had an issue at.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Nicholas R, General Manager at Hyatt Place Phoenix - North, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear valued guest:

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 602-997-8800