WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #126 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Chicago, Illinois
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

From beginning to end, the Comfort Inn West was a great experience. The manager on duty when we arrived was extremely friendly and concerned about making sure our stay was good. He even offered us the opportunity to eat in his office if the breakfast room was full. We didn't have to do that as we were able to find a table each morning, plus there was seating by the pool. Our room was large, clean and nicely furnished. All bathroom fixtures had been updated, although the tile in the bathroom was dated, however, it was clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel was quiet, even though it was packed with baseball fans for spring training. The only complaint would be the hotel seems understaffed. For breakfast, the food ran out each day and wasn't replaced quickly. Coffee ran out and the orange juice was out of commission for two days. We spotted the day clerk running quickly to make sure everything was tended to, but it was not humanly possible to keep up with everything. Also, housekeeping forgot to finish making our bed up, leaving pillows without pillow cases, the coffee maker wasn't cleaned on any days of our stay and coffee wasn't replaced. We were able to catch a housekeeper (the same one every day) and ask for service, and she quickly responded with a smile. But these are little details. If you are looking for a hotel that has easy on and easy off of the highway, this hotel is the one for you. There are no restaurants nearby, so that might be a problem, and don't be put off by the industrial look of the neighboring area. The hotel is safe, friendly, comfortable and convenient. We will stay here again when we return for spring training.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Babu2773

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Dad and I stayed here for 3 nights while going to spring training games. The location is a good central location if you're going to multiple parks. The staff were great and everything was very clean. No funky smells or anything like that. The beds are firm if that's what you like. Basic continental breakfast, didn't try the pool. There is an on-ramp to I-10 W but no off ramp so you have to get off the freeway a few blocks away and drive surface streets (we took McDowell) to get to it. The only criticism I have is that it's in an industrial/run down neighborhood which looked a little scary at night. I made sure to park in a well-lit place in the hotel parking lot to make sure I didn't have my aftermarket stereo stolen (nothing was bothered fortunately).

Room Tip: We stayed on the third (top) floor, probably helped with reducing noise from people walking around a...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Nice clean property, clean rooms, very friendly accommodating staff.

We stayed one night at this hotel, while traveling through Phoenix to catch a MLB spring training game. The hotel is in an industrial area, which was fine as we were only staying one night. It is conveniently located right off of I-10, the rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable, with quality linens. The rate was good, considering that many hotels raise their rates during MLB spring training. I would recommend this hotel and will consider staying here again next time I'm in the area.

1 Thank elpruss
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were in Phoenix to meet our new grandson. My husband also went hiking in the Superstitions for 5 days while I stayed behind with family. The hotel is in a very industrial area and at first felt unsafe for me alone. I had NO trouble at all during the week. We stayed here because of the rate and the easy access to airport, downtown, and Camelback Road where family lived. Rooms are all newly appointed and very comfortable. Highway noise was not as bad as I had expected. Especially appreciated the microwave, frig, and coffeepot. Beds were VERY comfortable and the collection of pillows was tops! Bathroom is average.
Breakfast is as all have said...same as anyplace else. I wish hotels in general would offer a juice besides orange or apple for those of us who cannot have either! They are in the same allergy family!
The pool area was nice although the loud highway noise was a big distraction. You could sit by the pool and see all of the jammed up traffic every day. Exhaust fumes were bad and the black dust created by the highway made my feet BLACK just walking around the pool area. I could tell they try to keep the place clean though. A guy was power washing the parking lot for about 3 days! Unfortunately, he continued to do so as we all sat by the pool just feet from where he was working! Drove us indoors as a result of the spray and the noise.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. I was there during a very busy baseball spring training and NASCAR week. I think they were short on cleaning staff, but our gal was really efficient and accomodating. I was a bit put out when the manager asked if I was OK without having service one day because someone called in sick. I managed fine, but it's bad business to ask your paying guests to go without-especially when our family had brought in 14 total sleeping nights of business to his hotel! Yet, when my daughter had a huge ugly plumbing problem in her home and had to go to a hotel with her new baby and toddler, the manager was most helpful in offering a very low rate for a room just down the hall from me. I will definitely consider staying here again in the future if the place continues to keep up it's present standards...or better.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be about the same, but do not ask for a pool view room as they face the loudest...
1 Thank Helen S
Tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We only stayed here for one night. Beds were comfy and staff was very friendly. There are no stores or restaurants within walking distance but not a far drive to downtown. Breakfast was your typical free breakfast with eggs, cereal, fruit and mini pastries. I would stay here again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed one night on a cross-country trip. Due to a lot of activity in Phoenix (NASCAR, BMX events, soccer tournament) vacancies at pet-friendly hotels were impossible to find. This wasn't my first choice but was convenient to where I was heading the next day.

It was chaos at the hotel -- multiple families with tons of kids were checking in, and there was one poor desk clerk who was seriously overworked. Somehow she kept a smile on her face -- remarkable. Seems like when a hotel knows there are a lot of events in town and they're booked up, they might put a 2nd clerk at the desk.

The room was very big, which was a big help to us with lots of luggage and a pet. Though there were a lot of kids milling around (soccer and BMX) the room was surprisingly quiet. Never heard a thing.

A number of restaurants are within short driving distance (2 miles), which was convenient, and there is a gas station right across the street.

Forest Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was in Phoenix for a couple days for spring training games. I enjoyed my stay here, the room was clean with all new furnishings. I didn't have a car and the location was good for catching a bus to anywhere in the city. The breakfast was outstanding - eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, yogurt. The pool area was extremely clean and the hot tub was very welcome in the cool evenings. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again, hopefully next year for more baseball!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo