“Loved it!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alberta, Canada
“Loved it!”
Reviewed November 15, 2006

We (two Couples) used our RCI points to stay in a 2 bedroom for a week and golf. It was wonderful. Clean, spacious and up to date furnishings. There was only one complaint... the sheets. They did not use a fitted sheet on the bottom and it kept coming off. The grounds were beautiful. I will stay there again because it was easy access to airport and a lot of nice golf courses.

We golfed at the Legacy twice. Nice course and well kept. We also golfed at Raven South Mountain...it was okay, liked the Legacy better. Estrella Mountain...really liked the course...especially the back nine. Our fav was Dinosaur Mountain..did it twice and cannot wait to go back.

Do not hesitate to stay at this resort.

• Liked — the marble bathrooms
  • Disliked — sheets on bed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank mauilvr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
MA
Reviewed November 9, 2006

This was a timeshare exchange for us. We had a 2 bedroom and the 4 of us found it to be quite spacious. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms clean and up to date. Most of the staff are young college age people who were friendly and helpful. We were able to talk them and learn alot about the area. We had never been to Arizona before and they gave us lots of information. The whole resort is beautiful but the area around it is dreary. We would definitey stay here again because there are so many wonderful places to visit in Arizona.

• Liked — the 2 bedroom with lockoff
  • Disliked — more seating in the living room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed November 2, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for one night as an incentive for sitting through some boring sales pitch for 2 hours about time sharing. However, I'm just glad it was free. The refridgerator ran all night long. It was so annoying. I turned it off at one point, it was so bad. The hotel's restaurant was so-so. We ordered hamburgers and fries that tasted like something you could cook at home. Our waiter was pompous and lazy. When I told him I wanted to order a hamburger, he looked at me like I had three heads. I guess he's never heard of a hamburger before. And we had to ask the bar wench to refill our waters since he was too busy lollygagging in the kitchen with the other employees.

Overall, I'm just glad it didn't cost me a cent. I certainly would have been mad if I actually had to pay for this crap.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay home
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CornDog77
New York
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I went to the Legacy with my boyfriend in June. Our 1-bedroom casita (huge) was immaculate for our entire 5-night stay. If we left dishes in the drainer, the staff would even pop them in the dishwasher for us in our absence. Our first afternoon there, a problem with the pool closed it down but it was promptly reopened the next morning. Although the parking lot was almost always jam-packed with guests, our place (near the entrance and overlooking the golf course) was quiet and peaceful throughout our stay.

The resort staff was warm and earnestly helpful. An older woman at the help desk was obligated to soft sell a timeshare, but when we said we weren’t interested, the pitch immediately ended and wasn’t brought up again. We did our sightseeing both in conjunction with the resort (the Grand Canyon trip was organized with a day-long van tour) and on our own. We have friends there who took us river tubing; we also made our way to a Diamondbacks game--my first indoor stadium; and we toured the Botanical Gardens slooowly in 100+ temps. But I was equally happy crashing in our place watching DVDs under the ceiling fan. The patio was a lovely touch as well. I would go back to the Legacy in a heartbeat. A great, affordable vacation (plus we saved major bucks with a 40-min layover flight).

[------------]

• Liked — Everything was accessible, modern, and well maintained.
  • Disliked — The pool bar closed early--5 pm if I remember. What about evening rendezvous? :)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hill38
California
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We recently stayed at the Legacy Golf Resort for a week. It was going well, until we started using their fitness facility. I was basicallly booted out of the fitness center because I was not white. I felt like a black man in a KKK meeting.

I thought racism has died down since the 70's, apparently I am dead wrong. Racism and prejudice is still very much alive in this country and in particular, Arizona.

I would'nt recommend staying at this resort unless you are white.

11 Thank Like2travel17
New York, NY, USA
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Just got back from four nights at the Legacy Golf Resort. I chose the resort based on positive reviews on this website and was not disappointed. This is not a particularly fancy resort, but it has everything you need for a very comfortable stay, especially for families because of the "apartment-like" facilities in the unit. On the other hand, I was there by myself and did not feel besieged by kids running around because the resort is spread out enough. The resort is part of the Shell timeshare system but there is no pressure to join.

The resort consists of about a dozen "clusters" of two-story townhouses. Each unit has a balcony or patio you can sit on. I asked for a unit with a view and got one on the second floor facing the 18th fairway, which was nice. I had a studio, which was spacious with a king size bed, sitting area with sofa and two armchairs, and a full kitchen (sink, half size fridge, coffee maker, toaster, stove with two burners, washing machine, dishes, glasses, pots and pans, utensils, don't remember if there's a microwave). The unit also has a stacked washer/dryer which was very handy. They provide soap for the dishwasher and also to handwash dishes, but for some reason no soap for the washer/dryer but no biggie. The room was clean and seemed relatively new; no dirt, peeling wallpaper, or other visible signs of wear. There is housekeeping service every day, as in a regular hotel. Parking is outside each unit. The grounds are very well kept.

Check-in was smooth. The staff at the registration desk is young and somewhat less polished than the five star resorts, but they were friendly and efficient. I had a problem with the high speed internet connection in my room ($9.95 for 24 hours) and they moved me to another room right away at my request, instead of sending someone to fiddle with the wires.

The main building also houses the golf pro shop, restaurant and spa/gym. I tried each of these. The pro shop is well stocked and well run. The golf course was in good shape and well maintained; it scores 4.5 stars in Golf Digest, which is as high as any golf course in the Phoenix area. It's not a fancy course but I enjoyed my round, especially at the twilight rate of $25 (for guests, and $29 for nonguests) which starts at noon. Yes, it's hot, but you have to expect that if you go to Phoenix in June.

I had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant. It's good, basic food, like you would expect in a clubhouse. A little pricey for what you get, but not outrageous, and the service was very good. No complaints there.

I didn't use the spa services but did use the gym, which was reasonably well equipped with two treadmills, bicycles, weights and so on. The swimming pool is next to the main building and is popular with families, though I did not use it.

The resort is about ten minutes south of the airport. As others have noted, you pass through a couple of spotty neighborhoods on the way there and you may want to think twice about stopping at the nearby gas stations late at night because of the people who hang out there. But the resort itself is fine and there are security guards driving around the parking lots all the time. I felt very safe. There are a couple of shopping malls only five minutes away by car (in another direction) and the resort is centrally located for access to other golf courses, restaurants and so on. I think the positives of the resort's location outweighs the negatives.

All-in-all, the Legacy is a great place to stay without the expensive frills. The summer rates are amazing and you can book directly through their website. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank jack783
Cleveland
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Just returned from one week at the Legacy Golf resort. I highly recommend this resort!! My husband and I are frequent time share travellers and Legacy was one of the places we were able to use as reciprocity for our membership. All of the staff were very courteous and went out of their way to be helpful. Also, since we are frequent time share travellers, we are often hit with the sales pitch of buying into the time share we are staying at. This did NOT happen at the Legacy; there were no whining, hounding sales calls - which was very welcome. My husband is an avid golfer and highly enjoyed the course at the Legacy; he played four different times. The grounds were immaculate, the pool area very clean, and the linens always fresh. We did not experience the restaurant or bar so I cannot comment. Highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed June 2006