“A little old, still enjoyable”
Review of Legacy Golf Resort

Legacy Golf Resort
Ranked #59 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Genoa, Nevada
“A little old, still enjoyable”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just spent a week at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix. We had a very good time, and our one bedroom was comfortable and quiet. We were a little concerned getting there because some parts of the area look a little sketchy.
In the resort, you feel very safe and out of reach. The on-site golf course was a blast to play and in very good shape.
The main problem we had was at the pool area. The grounds are clean and well maintained, and there is a drinks and snacks bar which is convenient. My wife uses her wheelchair when she goes to the pool, and at the entrance gate there are only steps to get down to the pool. There is a ramp at the exit gate, but you can't use your key card to enter there. Also, if she was alone, the gate handle to get out is too high for her to reach. No bathrooms at the pool itself, and the ones available are a fair distance away if you have to roll there.
This was a Shell vacation hotel, and I heard that all their properties were purchased by Wyndham, so we'll see if there any big changes in the future.
This hotel is in south Phoenix, and a lot of fine dining is 20-25 minutes away.

Room Tip: Get a golf course facing room for quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you, Jim, for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Phoenix … we appreciate your feedback!

It was sincerely gratifying to hear you felt comfortable and enjoyed play on our signature golf course!

I do apologize for the difficulties your wife experienced while trying to access the pool area. I have asked our Director of Maintenance to investigate this situation and see what measures might be taken to facilitate easier entry. Our team constantly strives to exceed guests’ expectations; thus, your feedback is valued – helping us identify those areas needing improvement.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you and your wife back again someday!

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Marion, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

This is to all the potential visitors to this beautiful resort and to answer most of the negative reviews. My wife and I are currently staying at this resort and are very happy with the accommodations. We travel to Arizona at least once a year. Living in the Midwest brings with it long yucky winters. Spring in southern Arizona is wonderful. The warmth, sunshine, unbelievable blue skies, green grass on the golf courses and food/shopping are the draw. To preface this, I lived in the greater Phoenix for 3 years in the early 1990's. I understand the 100+ degrees in the summer months and desert landscaping. If you are considering a trip to Phoenix or Tucson, take these things into consideration. We love the desert and look forward to the things many consider negative. In all my visits and time living in Arizona, I have never seen a rattlesnake or scorpion. I know they are out there but they have never come before my eyes. So, the resort is first class. Grounds are beautiful. It sits surrounded by a lush golf course so very green and well groomed.

The way we came upon staying here was somewhat by chance. We had reservations at the Residence Inn in Tempe. A king suite for 6 night was going to be almost $1000. Reasonable by upscale Valley of the Sun rates. There are certainly more expensive places to stay. That averaged $140 or so per night plus taxes. By chance, we decided to try Priceline. If you are diligent with a little research, the name your own price deal can really work. I limited our search to one area and to 4 star properties. I low balled a rate of $62/night. They accepted it. Upon finding out the resort, we began to read reviews. So let's knock a few down. One complaint was high pressure sales pitch. Folks, this is a time share property. Of course they are going to try to sell you a piece. That's why they are here and it exists. But, guess what, they ask you if you want to participate. I politely declined. We have stayed in other time share resorts. A common practice is to call your room to entice you to come to their sales meeting. Just say no or unplug your phone, turn off the ringer, etc. All those commenters that complained about the high pressure pitch failed to mention the free lunch or breakfast they enjoyed and either the free rounds of golf or $100 American Express gift card they received. There is no requirement to attend, even if they imply it. Just say "No, thank you".

Thin walls and noise. It's a hotel. I've stayed in many hotels in my 53 years from budget to luxury. They all have thin walls. Wyndham is planning to correct this by 2015 in all their units. My guess is a little insulation would do the trick. But come on, noise? Turn your white noise on with your cell phone and sleep tight.

Hard beds. The king sized bed was wonderful. Yes, it's a firm mattress but has a nice pillow top to soften the mattress-human interface (how's that for high tech talk). We have a Sleep # bed at home. My wife is a 45 and I am a 65. We're all different with our bed softness desires. The mattresses are just fine. And no bed bugs that we could find.

Staff. They all seemed pretty helpful to me. We don't usually interact with front desk personnel much anyway though. Only minor complaint was early check in. We had an early flight. Even with killing a few hours, we could not get keys to the room until after 4 PM. They did give us a key to get into the pool area though and we could use the fitness area if we desired.

Location. We read a couple of complaints about location. I think priceline put the location as North Tempe. Boy, it's close. It is located just north of South Mountain kind of at the western edge of Tempe and the southeastern edge of Phoenix. Very close proximity to the airport with no constant overhead air traffic. I'm looking at South Mountain. right now. It's beautiful here. There is easy access to all the major arteries thru the greater Phoenix area and just minutes from restaurants, grocery stores, walmart, target, drug stores etc. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to ASU and downtown Tempe depending on traffic.

I think I hit most of the negative nellies out there. Don't think twice about staying here. It's great.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank David G
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
David, you just made my day!

On behalf of the entire Legacy family, I want to extend heartfelt thanks for this objective review.
We realize, no one person or company can please all of the people all of the time … but we put forth our best effort nevertheless.

I note your mention of being a current guest. If your schedule permits, I’d appreciate the opportunity to meet you personally and reiterate our thanks. I can be reached directly at #602.305.5510, or via e-mail (michele.caminidi@wyn.com).

Thank you and we wish you safe travels,

CT
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This resort is located near South Mountain and a short distance from the airport. It is more a condominium rather than a concierge based hotel and with that comes pros and cons. The units are not cleaned on a daily basis and if you aren't a golfer, there's not much to do. The pool area is nice but in need of more shade options, more staff at the bar/snack area, and basic amenities likenapkins. There are 2 tennis courts, both in need of repair. They have racquets but no tennis balls for sale if you forget your own. The golf course is in great shape and an excellent layout - rounds are reasonable for guests of the resort. Staff at the course and practice facility were phenomenal. There are many stores and businesses in the area so it's easily to stock up on groceries, etc.. The resort has 1 restaurant, which is probably most comparable in selection and quality to Applebee's. Fortunately, there is a wonderful restaurant just north of the resort called the farm at South mountain. Lots of great, fresh and interesting food to choose from if you are looking for variety. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the landscaping and housekeeping staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious and very clean on arrival. Sadly, the front desk staff is need of a major overhaul. We were with a large group of friends and family and nearly everyone in our party had an issue with how they were treated. Rude, snappy, abrupt, clueless and unhelpful pretty much sums it
up. There was another large group on the property as well who decided to host late night parties in our courtyard. We really didn't have an issue until after 11 pm and had to call security twice to get the group dispersed - and the offending party was given our room number so they knocked on our door at 11:30 to ask if they were being too loud - they were nice kids, but kind of an unbelievable breach of security. With a few improvements in staff and dining, this is a family friendly, conveniently located resort.

Room Tip: Ask about groups reserving during your stay. You really don't want to be in the middle of one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 2DogsatHome
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear 2DogsatHome,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience with us.

I was delighted to hear you were so impressed by The Legacy’s golf operations, as well as the friendly attitudes exhibited by many of our associates.

On the other hand, I was very concerned to read of your impressions of our Front Desk staff. Our success at The Legacy has – and always will be – everyone’s “Count on Me” service promise and follow-through.

After speaking with our Guest Service manager and the head of our 24-hour Security detail, I am confident that none of our staff members divulged your room number to another guest. To do so is not only a breach of confidentiality each of our guests is assured of – it is a violation of Arizona’s Innkeeper laws.

I would sincerely appreciate having an opportunity to speak to you in more detail. Please contact me directly (Michele.caminidi@wyn.com) with your contact information and I will be happy to call at a time that is most convenient for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to deliver great experience.

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed at this resort through an Interval International exchange, and I would definitely stay there again. Our 1-bedroom unit was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable which is quite important because both my husband and I have back problems. The grounds are beautiful and staff is very helpful. The only thing that frustrated us was parking...if you go out at night and return late to the resort, you sometimes have to park some distance from your unit because there are not enough spaces by each building complex. Also, be aware that there are no elevators and we did not see any bellhops to take our suitcases upstairs. This wasn't a problem for my husband but it could be for some people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whinny2
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments, Whinny! It was a pleasure to read you found The Legacy lovely and comfortable, and that our associates made you feel welcomed.

I regret that our seasonal occupancies presented somewhat of a parking challenge. Our 24-hour Security teams routinely patrol the entire resort - including our complimentary parking lots day and night - to ensure the presence of guests’ parking passes and/or employee identification.

We sincerely appreciate your choosing to exchange here, and look forward to welcoming you back again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel is great if you are driving a nice car or a motorcycle. It safe to park it there. almost a gated community. Nice safe area for kids and singels. rooms are really good they even have a washer and dryer in them. Close to the airport. This is property to get away from it and relax. The only week link it the restaurant which smelled and the service was poor.

Room Tip: Top floors are better. Becuse they have a small deck
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rd400
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for this great feedback rd400!

I have shared your impressions of time spent at our on-site restaurant with those responsible parties; in turn, we want to extend our apologies for that disappointing aspect of your stay.

Our guests’ expectations are given the utmost consideration and I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to provide exceptional customer service.

Again, thank you for your time!

Victoria, BC
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We have a timeshare with another couple at the Legacy and have been there for the past 8 years. The resort has been nicely maintained...except for the tennis courts which have deep cracks that pose a tripping hazard. Landscaping is very nice and the amenities such as two hot tubs, fitness room and pool are in good shape. The golf course is outstanding and must be played if you are any level of golfer. The new golfer development center is a must visit just to see the gee-whiz technology that will MAYBE help your game. Both my wife and I took a session and benefitted greatly from the experience.

The units are quite spacious (our friends and us share a 2-bedroom) and nicely equipped. The main complaint is the thin walls between the units. The BBQ area has been upgraded and was serviced regularly during our visit. We ate at the Grille and were very happy (reviewed separately).

We had reserved an extra night in a 1-bedroom prior to our timeshare stay but were given a studio instead which really wasn't acceptable. The Manager apologized for our inconvenience and gave it to us free.

South Mountain offers some great walks/hiking with superb views of Phoenix. Some noise is evident from Sky Harbor but the area is generally quiet. Arizona Mills offers good shopping nearby.

There are new owners (Wyndham Group) so it will be interesting how things evolve....

Room Tip: Ask for near the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank WindshearDon
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hello WindshearDon,

Thank you for taking time to share candid feedback from your recent stay.
Your 8 years continued loyalty is really appreciated ... and certainly gives weight to your observations!

With the support of the Wyndham organization, we remain committed to providing our customers with exceptional service and facilities! To that end, we’re optimistic that a long-awaited rooms renovation will begin next year. This process will assuredly lessen the occasional noise issues you referenced.

We’re also excited to share that a “Sport-Court” finish will be installed at our tennis courts later this year -- eliminating the need to continually patch the deep cracks resulting from Phoenix’s extreme summer temperatures.

I hope you allow us the opportunity to host you and your friends again next year! Thank you again for your informative review.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Our stay at the resort was very disappointing. From the time of check in through to our departure we ran into problems. We had booked a ten day stay at the resort and had requested a room on the 2nd floor with a golf course view. Upon checkin we were given a room on the second floor with a golf course view. When we went to the room we found we were given a room that was already occupied. Back to the reception desk where we were assigned another room but, alas, no view but we were told we would be put on a list so when one came available we would be moved....this never happened. As well, our golf coupons were not available when we checked in but we were told they would be delivered to our room in the afternoon. The golf coupons never showed up, we had to go back to reception in the evening and then had to wait 20 minutes for them to prepare them which they did so incorrectly, only one golfer not two, so they had to correct them again. They were apologetic.

Now, about the room, it is very dated but spacious. The room was clean. But, the walls are so thin you hear everything your neighbours say, including their snoring which kept my wife awake on a few occasions. The rooms are to be cleaned every four days, well, day 4 came and by the time we finished our golf round it was 1:30 when we returned to our room we found our room had not been cleaned. I then called to ask why the room had not been cleaned and was told they would do it right away. We went out again and came back around 6 and the room had still not been cleaned. I called again and told them at that point that it should wait till the next morning. They did clean it the next day. On day 8 when it was to be cleaned again I thought I would be proactive and call the reception desk at 7:30 in the morning to ensure that we were on the list for cleaning as I didn't want them to miss us again. I was told it would be taken care of. Well, after golf again, guess what, it had not been cleaned. I then spent another 20 minutes between calls to housekeeping and reception to confirm it would be cleaned in the afternoon. I also asked to speak to a manager who was not available. I did ask for a call back... We got back to the room again at 3:30 and the room had still not been cleaned. I called again and asked to speak to a manager and was told only the supervisor was available. She confirmed that she would speak to housekeeping and the room would be cleaned immediately. The room did get cleaned by 5:00 …. But I never did get a call back from a manager.
The day before we were to check out I called to ask for a late checkout as we golfed until 1:30 and would have liked to freshen up after our round. We were told that they could not confirm whether this was possible until the morning of checkout. I called back on the morning of checkout and was told that a late checkout was not possible. They did agree to hold our bags in their bell room and the reception agent that handled this for us was very helpful.
The golf course itself was in excellent condition and was a challenging track primarily due to the careful placement of sand traps and challenging fairway bunkers.
At end of day, given the issues we encountered and the quality of the accommodations we would not stay at this resort again, however, we would play the golf course.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WFCalg
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent experience at The Legacy Golf Resort, W.F. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the resort’s golf facilities! No doubt, future golf enthusiasts will appreciate your detail.

Conversely, I want to extend my sincere apologies for the confusion surrounding your arrival. First impressions are key, and in your case it appears we dropped the ball. The ensuing lapses in Housekeeping services you speak of are totally unacceptable.
Please be assured, these issues are not indicative of our “Count on Me” culture and are being addressed with our leadership team.

Please feel free to contact me personally (michele.caminidi@wyn.com) if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, and perhaps reconsider your decision to revisit The Legacy.

Regardless of your decision, we appreciate your taking time to share your review.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Orange Tree Golf Resort
#51 of 75 in Scottsdale
Scottsdale Links Resort
#55 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Legacy Golf Resort? Share your experiences!