“Disappointing hotel near the airport”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Phoenix Airport
Ranked #28 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night after arriving to phoenix from Chicago. The hotel is OK but very worn out. We had to be moved to another room after our key wouldn't open the door of our original room. It took 3 times if going back to the lobby before they gave us another room,kind of irritating. The room was OK but everything was old and needed updating. The breakfast wasn't very good and the coffee was swill. I think there has to be a better choice of hotels near the airport.

• Stayed: December 2013
FFI-PHX-GM, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share details about your experience on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced with your room key upon arrival. I understand how frustrating it can be when you have to go back to the front desk due to key difficulties and we strive to keep our hotel locks in working order. I am very sorry your particular lock was experiencing some problems during your stay.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport has recently undergone an extensive $1.3 million renovation. We replaced all of our guest room furniture, bedding, lighting, lobby furniture, breakfast room fixtures, carpet, wall vinyl, doors, bathtubs, and just about anything else we could think of! I am concerned you feel the property looks old and needs updating and would love to speak to you personally about specific examples so we can further evaluate the need to improve our property.

I welcome your comments and invite you to contact me directly at ffi.phxfa.gm@marriott.com to share any additional information. We truly care about what our guests have to say and hope to use your comments to further improve our hotel.

Thanks for your business and we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed for only one night. When we arrived the bathroom had hair all over the floor and shower and no toilet paper. We called the front desk, who called housekeeping. Housekeeping arrived and basically I was told that she was blind, she didn't really speak English, so she couldn't see the hair in the bathroom. I can appreciate hiring people with disabilities but to clean a guests room seems like the wrong place for a person with bad vision. I had to call 3 or 4 times to the front desk to get a crib. We accidentally left our child's blanket there, and it has still not been found. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Terri K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at our hotel.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of your guest room not being cleaned according to our high standards. While we do pride ourselves in hiring people with disabilities, we also employ a housekeeping supervisor to inspect rooms after they have been cleaned to ensure issues like the one you experienced do not occur. Unfortunately, in this instance it appears as though the inspector did not inspect your room before it was released to the front desk to be assigned to a new guest. Please accept my apologies for our failure to provide a room that's clean, fresh, and reflects the highest quality standards for which Marriott is known.

Please contact me directly at ffi.phxfa.gm@marriott.com regarding your child's blanket. Regretfully this forum does not provide me with enough information to research a missing item, as it does not provide your full name or the dates on which you stayed. At first glance of our lost and found log, I do not see a blanket listed as found, but I would be more than happy to research the item in greater detail once I receive your information.

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel. I look forward to hearing from you soon and hope to welcome you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Overall, it's a Fairfield near a major airport. The hotel was clean and the staff was attentive. I stayed when it was a windy night in Phoenix so the Direct TV was have considerable difficulty picking up a signal. Breakfast included the typical item including sausage, scrambled eggs, waffles, cereal, muffins, bagels, and toast. It is near a major highway, and I heard a good amount of traffic during the middle of the night. Overall, I'd consider staying again, but not for more than a night. There didn't look to be a lot of eating options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the interstate as possible to reduce the amount of noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The staff at this hotel were amazing. I cannot say enough great things about them. They were polite, courteous, and just made me feel appreciated. The shuttle to the airport runs every 30 minutes and when it was not running to the airport, drove me to a local restaurant. They are all very professional. ...Also the room was great, very clean. The breakfast is good (pretty much the same at all Fairfield Inns) and the internet was easy to connect to and fast. All around a fantastic experience. I will definitely stay here again when my plans include an early flight from PHX.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jhart687

Thank you very much for sharing your kind words with us! Our staff loves to make our guests feel at home, and comments such as yours let us know our efforts are doing the job.

We appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to see you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Its a Fairfield so that should be a good indicator also its considered an airport hotel so that is the other indicator. I must say though that the customer service was friendly and inviting. Bri was working the front desk and went out of her way to accommodate. The room was clean except the shower (but Marriott seems to have a continuous issue with this). It was quite not a lot of people though a group of kids did go running through the halls screaming once. It is very close to the airport and the hotels shuttle service runs 24 hours a day on the 15 and 45. The drive to the airport was only 10 minutes or so. All in all it was one of my better experience with a Marriott hotel and if I travel to Phoenix again for business I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed four nights and they still charged to leave the car two nights while I was on a trip. There are better hotels on the same street (Sleep Inn for example). Rooms are typical Fairfield but all use an indoor hallway. Breakfast selection is good.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
FFI-PHX-GM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear RaymePrescott,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix. We truly appreciate your comments and value your opinion.

While we are not an off-airport parking facility, we do offer our Park Here, Fly There Package which includes up to 14 days of long-term airport parking with a paid stay on the package rate. Our Park Here, Fly There Package is priced only $10 to $20 more than our regular daily rate and includes an overnight stay in one of our newly renovated guest rooms or suites, complimentary hot breakfast, airport transportation to and from Sky Harbor Airport, and up to 14 days of parking for no additional charge. When compared to traditional long-term airport parking prices of $7 to $10 per day, it adds up to a considerable savings for our guests who want to skip the hassle of long-term parking lots and save money at the same time.

I welcome the opportunity to review your hotel folio to ensure you were not charged incorrectly or unfairly for your four-night stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at ffi.phxfa.gm@marriott.com with the details of your stay and I will be happy to share my findings with you.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Phoenix. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you to our hotel again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here before catching an early morning flight on our way out of town. The room was extremely clean... everything was in great shape and looked brand new!
As a breastfeeding mom, I had to have frozen ice packs to travel with breastmilk over our flights. While the mini-fridge in the room did not have a freezer section, the staff placed my ice packs in a freezer for me. (Unfortunately the freezer goes through a defrost cycle overnight and they did not freeze entirely, but likely an honest mistake. Just be aware if you need something stored in a freezer during your stay.)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family