“Going ..under a major renovation - great service”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Phoenix Airport
Ranked #34 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Illinois
“Going ..under a major renovation - great service”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

First floor was just beginning to undergo renovation, second floor was completely closed and nearly finished. There were not a lot of guests when I stayed here because they didnt have a lot of rooms available due to the renovations. I had a newly renovated room on the third floor. Of course the room was very clean, good A/C, nice bed, good TV...The room had a small refrigerator..which I really appreciate. The shower was VERY clean..all white..decent water pressure...bathroom was a little on the small side. What sets this property apart is the service, Philip at the front desk (Borger, TX) is great. I utilized the Van service to get to and from the airport and had them take me to a restaurant..the service was VERY prompt and the driver was very friendly (even at 4:15 in the morning going to the airport!). Didnt eat breakfast, use the pool or exercise room. This property is close to the airport..not much around here within walking distance that I could see and the area gets pretty "Industrial" as you head west down Universtity..not sure I would walk down that way very far. The area immediately around the hotel has lots of office buildings and you see a lot of traffic, but the room was quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Texas_Phil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Millport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent stay before our flight from Phoenix.
Phil at the desk was especially helpful in recommending restaurants etc
Pool was heated and towels provided.
Room was newly remodelled and fresh. Spacious and well equipped with power points for charging electrical equip.
Would recommend this and stay again.
Good variety of breakfast was included in price

Room Tip: Some aircraft noise, but the hotel is at an airport !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela G
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this hotel because I needed a hotel with a free airport shuttle at a cheap rate. The hotel fit the bill perfectly.

ROOM: This Fairfield Inn has very tired, dated decor, but it has everything you need so it's hard to complain. We had two queen beds, a desk, a flat-screen TV, single-cup coffeemaker, and dresser. The bathroom was large enough with plenty of hot water, everything I ask for.

REST: The bed was comfortable, had plenty of pillows, and decent bed coverings, so I was looking forward to a great night's sleep. Better yet, the room was dark and quiet, so I slept soundly. I was amazed that we didn't hear airplanes in the room despite being close to an airport that has planes coming and going at all hours.

CLEANLINESS: The room was perfectly clean, no complaints here.

SERVICE: I didn't personally use the shuttle or check in, but my companion had no complaints with the service. The breakfast staff as well as the front desk in the morning were both friendly.

LOCATION: I was a little nervous driving up at night since my GPS took me to the hotel the back way, past a few strip clubs, but the hotel was in a perfectly safe area once I got past that. Interestingly enough, the next morning I realized we were very close to the highway and my GPS just didn't send me to the correct exit. Get directions from the hotel if you are concerned ahead of time. It's a quick drive to the airport, but there isn't much else in the immediate proximity.

PARKING: Plenty of free parking available.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast is included, with standard options including cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, canned fruit, microwaveable breakfast sandwiches, make-it-yourself waffles, pastries, yogurt, juices, milk, coffee, tea, and cocoa. It's not fancy, but I was content with the offerings. I can't remember if breakfast started at 6 or 6:30, but it was fairly early.

WI-FI: Wi-fi was fast and free. How can you go wrong?

BOTTOM LINE: We didn't stay here long, basically using it as a place to sleep and nothing else, but it exceeded my expectations for a reasonable rate. I'd return without a second thought.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Good location when flying but they do charge extra if you want to leave your car. The staff was very helpful with places to eat Since are car broke down the shuttle to dinner was helpful. Then they jumpstarted our car for us. They even new where where to closest sears was. Breakfast was good. Very clean hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here during the week of July 4 and we had a very pleasant stay. All of the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, the hotel is clean, our room was clean, the free breakfast was great. The location is great if you want to be by the airport, but is clearly not in walking distance from any attractions. Downtown Tempe is only about 3 miles from the hotel (straight down University Dr.) and is very easy to get to.

There was an incident on our first morning: the boneheads in the room next to us decided to light up their weed at 8am and stink up the whole floor. I called the front desk and the issue was resolved quickly and professionally by the general manager. The idiots next door were removed from the property by the police, and the general manager introduced himself to me and explained the situation. I was very impressed with the way the situation was handled and the professionalism.

The pool is small, but it's good enough. I don't like that you have to walk out the front of the hotel to get there (as opposed to being in the back with easier access). The pool is at the front, so you have to listen to the cars fly by on University while you are trying to enjoy the pool.

My only complaint about this hotel is the "exercise room", which is really more like an "exercise closet". It only has 3 cardio machines and if you are in thee with anyone else, there is no space. I believe the Fairfields around here are being renovated soon, so hopefully this one will get a new exercise room.

Overall, I would strongly recommend is hotel! We really enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Recently traveled out west for convention (San Francisco) and vacation. Stayed 4 nights in Downtown Courtyard, 3 night at Paris Hotel in Vegas, 4 night in Hampton Inn (Bakersfield, CA and Flagstaff, AZ) and finally one in Phoenix, Az. By far, this Fairfield in was the nicest. Even though we asked for a non-smoking room, the first one room they gave us was bad (not their fault), they quickly put us in another room. If you're flying out from the airport, it is an easy commute.

Room Tip: Very helpful and polite staff.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Winston, GA
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at this location for 2 nights. Very convenient to resturants and only 3 blocks from airport. Staff was very nice and helpful. Beds were very comfortable. Great breakfast! Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family