“Professional front desk staff keeps me coming back”

Residence Inn Phoenix Airport
Ranked #58 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I have stayed at this Residence Inn several times during the past two years. Aside from the proximity to the airport, the professionalism of the front desk staff keeps me coming back. They have always been prompt to acknowledge my presence at the desk, and courteous when getting me checked in and out no matter what time of day or night I show up, helpful for storing a bag, and with directions to a grocery or restaurant, The rooms have been very clean every time, beds have been extremely comfortable, and the prices reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2008

Well, it's an easy place to find in relation to the airport. Nice parking lot with a nice sampling of cacti near the front of the building.

Check-in was prompt, yet relaxed which was fine by me. My first problem was after checking in, I had to constantly use my room card. Within 30 feet, you'll need your card out for the back of the lobby, the pool, and the door to enter the building which has your room. I'd hate to see anyone with more than one bag deal with those doors.

The room had everything I needed plus a good little kitchen. When I stay longer than two nights, I love to have more than just a little dorm-size fridge for some groceries. I found the role of housekeeping - in regards to the kitchen - to be confusing. Everything was nicely organized, but some stuff was half-washed and the rest was stuff I was going to wash and dry myself. Nonetheless, I made great use of my kitchen!

The room had two big drawbacks. I probably would've found a better quality deal and the television looked like it was at the end of its depreciation.

The nice part is that Marriott has always been good to me when it comes to comfortable beds and showers. That's usually why I'll choose Marriott first if I don't know the area well.

The outdoor pool is surprisingly comfortable and provides the option of having your own little cookout.

While the breakfast buffet food is average, it is well run.

All in all, it was OK. Next time, I'll just stay downtown or in Scottsdale.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We've stayed in a lot of Residence Inns around the US and they're all quite similar, but this one is a HUGE place. There are hundreds of rooms, but it's still quiet enough. The rooms are light and comfortable as you would expect, but the one negative point about this room was that it didn't have an oven. It had a hob and microwave, but not a proper oven. However, breakfast is included and it's a good breakfast too, with a good range of hot and cold food. Opposite the hotel is a large Chinese supermarket and a couple of Chinese restaurants so eating is not a problem if you're here for one night before going to the airport the next day. The hotel also has a nice pool area with barbecues should you wish to grill your food.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this property as we had an early morning flight. I have to say the staff was excellent. They are very well trained in service which I truly appreciate these days.

The rooms were excellent as always- comfortable and well equipped.
The only thing to be aware of is to be sure to bring your room key if you are walking from your room to the front desk since they will be in separate buildings and you must have your key to get back in your building. I left mine in the room with my husband while I went to the desk and could not get back into the building and had to knock on the window so he could let me back in . (Good thing we had a 1st floor room)

The shuttle was right on time to the airport and even though breakfast did not start until 6am and our shuttle left at 530am- they still had hot coffee and juice out and fresh fruit so we could grab something before going to the airport.

I would definitely stay here again. I am a travel agent so I get good rates at Marriott anyway, but this property stuck out due to the service of the staff.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank travelgrl1
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We were able to check in (very) early. Staff was very friendly. Upon entering our room, we noticed that our bed was not done completely with pillows missing. It took no more than 5 minutes after calling, for the staff to come and make the bed. Later on we received a note form the front desk apologizing for this and a small bag of goodies. We thought it was a very thoughtful gesture.
Breakfast is the usual, nothing extra ordinary.
Location is great. Airport, car rental and highway is very close. There are a bunch of Chinese restaurants that are good right across from the hotel (can walk)
Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Algood
Reviewed March 28, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on business for 3 nights and found it to be excellent. The staff is very professional, and always greeted me with a smile. The business facilites are excellent, and the rooms perfect for working late into the night. The free airport shuttle made it a simple task to get in and out of quickly. The only thing I didn't like was the surly attitude at their restaurant, and the mediocre food, but there were many options close by, so that was not a problem.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank twashing
Reviewed February 22, 2007

For 15,000 Marriott Rewards points, this excellent facility was a very pleasant steal for me. But without points, I would have paid $269/night plus taxes and other fees, and I'd probably be a little more critical.

The rooms are recently updated with generally quality materials and good lighting everywhere. Both the rooms and common areas were very clean and quiet during my stay. The buffet breakfast was a touch bigger and tastier than I've had at recent other Residence Inn stays. The Internet service in the common area was well-equipped and sufficient for efficiently printing out boarding passes, checking the news, and the like.

The front desk staff was efficient and helpful, but one or two of the staff were somewhat aloof and impolite, while another manager was very friendly. The free airport shuttle was on time, convenient and speedy, although the front desk mumbled something about possibly competing for shuttle space with hotel employees on certain shuttles during the week.

I didn't have the time to use the other amenities, but others seemed to enjoy the hot tub, the fitness center is advertised as 24 hours, and several other typical Residence services are available.

I've stayed at a fair number of Residence Inns and Courtyards, and this was one of the nicest, especially using points.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank finickytripper
PHXRA, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for your review of our hotel.
It was great to read that you enjoyed our hotel and I'm happy to note that we've even renovated since your review so things are even fresher than before! Also, recognizing that I am a bit bias, we have a really stellar staff in place at the hotel now and I'm excited about the constant positive feedback we recieve about them!
As far as your concern about pricing, the 'good' news for our customers is that we are actually offering much lower prices than the $269 you were quoted for your stay a couple years ago. And, as is the case with all Phoenix area hotels, you'll find even deeper discounts during non-peak (spring) months.
Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to your next visit to the area.

~Jeff (General Manager)