“Bad Neighborhood”

Ranked #150 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Spring Valley, Minnesota
“Bad Neighborhood”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Do not trust Days Inn photos and Starburst rating on this one! Bad neighborhood, question whether the room was clean - dark smudges resembling BM on the bathroom wall. Awakened at 3am by a group of men talking loudly and laughing outside our door. Obvious female soliciation happening on property.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank outdoors4fun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

The hotel was what I expected it would be for the price and was fine for one night, knowing I was moving on to something nicer the next night. The reviews are right, you don't really want to walk around this neighborhood. Use it just for a place to lay your head. I was in room 212 and it was very spacious. There was a safe and a large vanity area for getting ready that was separate from the shower and toilet. This was convenient as we were 4 girls sharing a room.

Before booking, I called the hotel and spoke with Wes and inquired as to pricing for four people with two double beds. I also asked about pricing for a roll away cot and I was told there was no charge. I told Wes that the room was less if I booked on line so, so he said that I should do that and then call back with my reservation number to book a roll away. This is what I did. When I arrived, Milena, the front desk person told me that there was a $20 charge for the roll away and a $20 charge for each extra person over 2. When I said that this is not what I was told and I gave her the name of Wes who I had spoken to, her response was "I don't know what he told you but this is what you have to pay , I just work here." When I said that I wasn't happy about it, she suggested that perhaps I would like to find another place to go. In the end, for the price of this hotel, I would have been happy to pay a little more and have a nice place to stay. Suddenly a $70 room was $130.

When I unrolled my roll away bed that evening, the bedding was unclean. I sent it back and shared a bed with my friend. The next morning when I checked out Milena said "I see you complained again" When I told her that the reason for my complaint was the dirty sheets, she told me that no one else had ever complained and she was still going to charge me for the bed. I asked to speak with the manager but again, as before, he was not around. I still intend to let the manager know of my disappointment but I think he might already know as Milena told me that it was the managements decision to be charging me. It was unbelievable to me that she would be so rude, her manner was condescending and I found it laughable that she had a tip jar at the front with her name on it. If you do book here, do so with a booking company that will allow you refunds. I had booked for a second night at the end of my trip and wished that I had been able to get a refund. The last night I was there I was put into a smoking room and even though there were other available rooms, the front desk person Anthony would not put me in another room because the computer had booked me into a smoking room. Anthony was friendly but he didn't know he was doing. Getting a room switched has never been a problem anywhere else, not sure why it was a problem here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank cleansegirl
Racine, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

First impressions were that this place was not going to be great. The location was near to Sky Harbor Airport, interstates and Papago Park. The area was industrial. The motel looked shabby from the outside.

The staff I met were all very nice and really helpful. Absolutely no complaints there. I stayed in room 202, which was a lot bigger than I expected. Well maintained and clean too.

Security was lacking with several sketchy guys hanging around at night. I locked up and jammed a chair under the door knob, but never had an incident to warrant it. Just my solo female traveler flags going off.

The free breakfast was quite basic. Cereal, instant oatmeal, coffee, tea, milk, muffins, doughnuts. Nothing flashy, but it was good and filling. I wasn't looking for an elaborate meal, but fresh fruit would've been appreciated.

There was an outdoor pool, but was closed for the season.

PROS: Staff, room size, near to things to do.
CONS: Badly hung outside door that left a 2 inch gap at the bottom (glad it was too cold for bugs), didn't feel very secure.

I spent 2 nights and would go back. Not good for those who want Super 8 or higher quality. Very good for those on a budget.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Texarkana, TX/AR (USA)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

The room was clean. The bed was hard as a rock. The breakfast wasn't all that great. But I guess for the cheap price, it was OK I guess.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

Once arriving back into phoenix from a long drive from the Grand Canyon, we decided to stay somewhere less expensive because we were leaving to airport the next day. What a horrible place this hotel was at. As we got closer and closer, we felt the area became more degenerate. No lie or exaggeration, but as we were going to the hotel, we saw crack wh0res on the the corner, stares from people standing outside in the streets with their shirts off, and loud music blasting from old beat up cars. Upon arrival the hotel is directly across from a run down strip joint, as seen from the outside.

Checkin was fine, the room was ok for what I expected for $35 a night. With the exception of the bathroom. The window would not shut and remained open but its ok because there were metal bars on the window, so no one could enter/escape.

The bathroom was dirty but the icing on the cake was the stale sitting water that was underneath the plastic form material on the floor of the tub. It felt like you were standing on a water bed. The WORST part of that was the awful smell of that sitting water mixed with god know what else that's been sitting there for who knows how long. It was so bad that I tried to hold my breath as often as I could. If you don't shower you would have never know because the smell starts as you step into the tub and the water moves around. When the water is turned on, it only adds to the sitting water beneath the tub. I feel sorry for the person the day it busts and horrible smelling and bacteria infested water spills out onto the person bathing.

Other than that and being in a run down ghetto area in Phoenix, the staff was nice and shuttled us to and from the airport by the live in driver. The gentleman at night was nice but the Russian lady at checkout was just whatever, no personality, no smile, nothing at all from her, no having a nice day, thanks for staying, NOTHING.

If I was to stay again, I would bring a gun for security, not shower, and wear a bio-hazard suit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple