“Don't stay here!”

Ranked #150 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Minnesota
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

You'd think a hotel near the airport would be nice. This one should be torn down! Bad part of town, crappy rooms, lousy air conditioner. Everything about this place says who cares? Not the management. Not corporate leadership. Even the manager avoids eye contact and knows better than to ask how you liked your stay.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Genius09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Room was big, we use the pool and relax, then we flow to the airport.. oh free shuttle... we did not had any problems...

• Stayed May 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Don't trust that Picture!

The picture of the pool above -- is not accurate. That pool has been filled in with dirt, the fence is gone and the dirt itself was home to various trash and dog feces. This clearly WAS a nice place once.

The family that runs/owns the property are pretty lovely people -- but that doesn't excuse the quality of the room, the messy parking lot and the, sad to say, scary neighborhood.

Granted - there's not much you can do about the location as property owners/management, but you can do a better job of renovating the rooms and keeping them clean. This was the first time in my life that I actually was afraid to sleep in the bed -- while the sheets seemed clean - the entire room just seemed dank and dirty.

The sink area had a constant influx of teeny ants and the ceiling was cracked and the paint/stucco was crumbling. The shower was less than enticing. There were cigarette burns on the ledge of the tub, through the bed-cover and on all the furniture and the sink. The carpeting seemed new-ish.

There was no alarm clock in the room.

The plywood on all the furniture was peeling/peeled off.

The TV had no remote.

As mentioned, the neighborhood is a bit daunting for a woman staying alone (and I'm generally a pretty fearless traveler - having been to many cities on my own) and once the sun went down I had no choice but to lock myself in my room. There are no food options within walking distance and only one decent restaurant from what I could see within a short drive.

The place across the street that appears to be a closed market is now the Blue Moon - a strip club. Which explains why the parking lot is full by 6pm!

There is a pool - it's VERY small and clean. It is right next to the road and closed up shops surrounding the property.

Despite the kindness of the management, I have to say I would NEVER recommend this property to anyone I even remotely cared about. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it to strangers either.

The shuttle driver is a nice enough fellow. When I first called to be picked up from the airport, I waited 30 minutes before calling a second time. The woman at the desk said, "I paged him, please wait." I told her I needed to know if I should call a cab. She said no. Then 10 minutes later I received a call from the driver, explaining that he also drives for the Travel Inn and had to take care of a large group to the airport. (Why couldn't he have picked me up after dropping them off?)

I signed up for a 5 am departure the next morning. I explained that I had an early flight and was aware that PHX can be a long wait in security. The next morning by 5:05 there was no sign of the driver. When he arrived he said, "What time is your flight?" I told him it didn't matter I was worried about getting through security in time to make it. To which he replied, "In all the years I've been driving the shuttle, no one has missed their plane!"

How does he know? I feel certain that even if they did miss their plane there was no way they'd call the hotel to head back there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank Peggie A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Convenient for Sky Harbour Airport and complimentary shuttle arrived within 15 mins of call. Driver and hotel staff pleasant and friendly, room spacious, clean, and comfortable. (No fridge, but drinks vending machine near reception.) Continental style breakfast was adequate and served in the reception area, but could be taken to your room. Shuttle driver was on time next morning to take me to the car rental centre. Basic, but good value for money and ideal for an overnight stay after arriving at the airport. (NB: There do not appear to be any restaurants or fast food outlets in the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Wickenburg, Arizona
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed the night here after a flight that came in in the evening. Got picked up by the shuttle after calling. The place is average, nothing special, but the room was spacey and clean, the guy at front desk very friendly. The room had a decent-sized TV, a safe, but no fridge or coffee maker. Two queens that were comfiable.There is a nice pool.
The breakfast room, the lobby really, has only two tables; choice of fruit, cereal, toast and hot oatmeal sachets. Ideal for a night before or after a flight. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esty666
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and I consistently find it to be clean, friendly, and convenient to the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My mother booked this hotel for us for one night in advance when we knew we would be coming in on a late flight and wanted something close to the airport. The next day we were headed to another destination, and thank goodness for that! The shuttle service to the Days Inn was very touch and go from the airport. Although the driver himself was friendly, the hotel staff did not notify him of our pickup in a timely manner which left us waiting at the airport much longer than expected after a late flight. Once we arrived at the hotel, the service was incredibly cold and upon entering the room we were shocked at its condition. At first it was difficult to tell if the room had even been cleaned as pillows seemed to have just been thrown on the bed. Thankfully, the room at least smelled clean even though the air conditioner didn't work well and there were cracks running from one wall to the other. The next morning while checking out, a woman and her two young children entered the lobby after having just seen their room. The woman said "This place is disgusting- there is no way we are staying in that room." She proceeded to ask reception for a cab to take her to another hotel. That pretty much sums up our experience. As for the cost, I don't consider $90 cheap for a room in this condition, surrounded by what seemed to be a very seedy neighborhood. I have never written a hotel review before, but this experience needed to be shared. Due to this hotel, I will not be staying at another Days Inn again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere, such as the Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Airport, for close access to the airport.