“With all my travels throughout the world the concierge service provided by Carol has been the most outstanding”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2011

The hotel is well situated to travel to and see the sites in Phoenix and the environment around. While the accommodations are dated, the rooms are very well kept and clean and beds are comfortable. The rooms for the conference I attended were very good. However what makes this hotel really different is the friendly and professional service provided by staff. In particular the concierge service was outstanding. Carol went to extraordinary lengths to identify our touring and siteseeing needs, personal interests and tailored to our timelines and budget. This level of service was better than most higher end hotels I have stayed with and resulted in an exceptional trip!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed at the Squaw Peak while attending the BCS National Championships. The hotel is not in the main resort area around Scottsdale. It is a large property in West Phoenix. The property is well kept--great large pool area and smaller pool areas around the property. The property borders on a nice neighborhood and just a few blocks away are easy hiking trails. The front desk staff overall was great as was the male concierge (the female concierge was not as helpful--didn't appear to know much)

We stayed in a Casita--a one bedroom bi-level with a efficiency kitchen and a small living room/dining room. The furniture was fine if slightly dated. The kitchen, however, had nothing. No utensils, no glasses (except two water glasses you would find in a hotel room) and a couple of styrofoam plates and plastic silverware. There wasn't even a bottle opener and it took forever to get one. So unless you were driving to the resort or willing to go out and buy kitchen supplies, other than having a refrigerator there was no advantage to having the kitchen.

Both restaurants were mediocore to poor. Breakfast was particularly bad. There are a lot better choices close by including for breakfast.

The bad news was the last day. We had not checked out--only left the room--and came back to find that almost everything had been taken out of the kitchen. It was very clear we hadn't left. An angry call to the front desk and housekeeping eventually led to the removed items being located, but by then we were late to the airport. To top it off, because of the volume of checkouts we were told that receipts weren't printing. After a relaxing three days it was a hurried, stressful departure. We were promised by the front desk manager that we would get it by e-mail by the end of the day. We also understood there would be some adjustment to the bill.

Five days later I contacted the front desk manager because we still had not received a receipt. When it finally arrived there was no adjustment. A further contact to the front desk manager went unanswered. I finally wrote to the general manager and had a quick response; apology, and more than adequate adjustment to the bill.

Had we not had the final day experience I would easily have given this hotel a "4." Assuming that what happened to us was a fluke I would still recommend the hotel--particularly if you have kids. The prices are cheaper than equivalent hotels in Scottsdale and its just a 15 minute drive into downtown Scottsdale.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while in town for the BCS National Championship. Sadly, our beloved Oregon Ducks lost to Auburn by a field goal... but you can't win everything, I suppose.

We stayed in a two-room king bed suite, which was great, as it had two large 40-ish inch flat-screen TVs (one in the bedroom, and one in the living room area). I had brought my laptop and an HDMI cable, and I was able to watch videos directly from my laptop. There's a fee for Internet use, though, so I didn't stream Netflix or anything.

We ran into one snag with check in. I had booked the Winter Escapes package that was being offered by Hilton, which includes breakfast vouchers each morning and a $50 resort credit. In full disclosure, I booked it at pre-paid rate on Hotels.com, but I checked my confirmation email to make sure that was indeed what I was to receive.

After I checked in and got back to the room, I realized that I had not received the breakfast vouchers. I called the front desk and the woman who answered didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I told her that I had booked the Winter Escapes package and that my confirmation from Hotels.com clearly stated that it included the above perks. I even checked on Hilton's Web site before we left Oregon to make sure the package was legit... sure enough, I found it (with this hotel listed) here: http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/promotions/hi_winter/index.jhtml?cid=OM,HH,WinterEscape,Specials

The employee said, "I'll go ahead and do it,' which was nice... but, I'd rather have heard, "Oh, yes, you're right... we have it right here." Same outcome... but I don't like the idea that I booked something, had a confirmation of it... only to be told, "Well, we'll go ahead and do it" as though I was being done a favor. I did appreciate that I didn't have to press the issue, but I would have preferred that it was just done right in the hotel's system in the first place.

Oh well. It all ended well. And the breakfast at Rico's Grill (which was still listed by it's old name -- Lantana Grill -- on the breakfast voucher AND a wall map in the lobby, causing some confusion on our part... please fix this, Pointe Hilton!) was quite good. The voucher was good for the breakfast buffet or $16.95 from the regular menu. We tried the buffet the first day, and it was quite good, and included a made-to-order omelet station, pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, etc. The next day, we ordered off the menu, and again... the food was really good.

The temperature was around 65 F when we were there, but nice and sunny. This is pretty balmy in January when you're from the Pacific NW and used to rain and overcast skies in the winter. So, we headed over to the River Ranch water park for some fun in the lazy river. This particular lazy river is rather *LAZY*... in that there is not a lot of water pressure (at least not when we were there). But, we still had a fun time because we had the park *almost* to ourselves, as this was definitely an off-season for the hotel. There are several pools, a hot tub, a mini-golf course (which we didn't try), and lots of fun things. I'd love to see it in the summer time. The hotel itself also has a few pools and hot tubs, which would be great for those who don't want to walk over to the River Ranch.

Parking was free and easy. We were able to park less than a minute's walk from our room each time without hassle.

Wi-fi is free in the lobby, but not accessible from most (if any) rooms. Since wired Internet access was like $12 a day, I just used my phone while we were there, except for once when I brought my laptop into the lobby to access a company server for work.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. It was in a nice area, close to Piestewa Peak for a lovely hike... there's a 24-hour Wal-Greens down the street next to a grocery store... and lots of great restaurants in the Phoenix area (My advice: head to North Phoenix for some Chino Bandido. Chinese-Mexican fusion FTW!!). I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josh A
New York City / Long Island
Reviewed January 23, 2011

my room had flying ants. not good. they switched the room but that's about all the apology or explanation I got. hope they were not bedbugs

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Captain_Marl
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Attended a conference at Squaw Peak. Room was adequate but not the "awesome" place other reviews indicated. There was no wireless internet avaialbe in the rooms and wired internet was pricy - totally absurd for 2011! There was also a charge to use the business center. The room was nice but not worth the price. Dust was on everything in the room. The balcony was a joke and barely large enough for the 2 chairs and small table - not enough room to comfortably sit. Use of the on-site fitness center was an additional charge ($12/visit). Staff at Rico's restaurant on site was rude and non-accomodating. Glad I was not paying.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Traveler2B1301
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My wife and I went with our 21 year old daughter and her friend for the BCS championship final. This resort has everything for young and old. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge, we dealt with Carol, organized all our transport and a day trip to the Grand Canyon. including helicopter ride. She's the best concierge I have worked with. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Casita which was spacious but the decor and carpets are dated. We'd go back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
heathrow
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Just spent a great 2 day stay in a lovely spacious Cassita - all the staff from check-in, conceige, computer technician to Lobby Shop were kind, thoughtful and helpful - great level of service! Will book this hotel again when next in Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2011