“Awesom for Having Fun with the Family”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed July 20, 2007

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The grounds are clean and nicely appointed, as are the rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful. I am a Hilton Diamond member, so that is always nice. If you are traveling with children or friends, I highly recommend it. The other Pointe Hilton (Tapatio Cliffs, is only about 5 minutes away, and a better choice If you are staying here for business, a round of golf or with your significant other. The Squaw Peak resort offers a water park and more "fun" activities and restaurants, but with that brings lots of kids!

A hotel like this will keep you going back to Arizona to relax....but watch out...you won't get cell phone reception in many places of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jcstone47
There are newer reviews for Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort

Reviewed July 15, 2007

This hotel is just beautiful. Definitely the cleanest hotel I've ever stay at and I use to work at a Holiday Inn. House keeping was very quick with any request. Front desk was a little slow. Needed more help during check in. Everything else was perfect. The beds and bedding were so comfy. Everyone working there told us it was a 5 hour drive to the Grande Canyon but it's not. My mom, sister and I did it in 4 hours and we stopped to eat along the way. The drive is soooo beautiful the time in the car fly's by. After speaking with other guest we were told to go to Sedona. If you're going to Arizona you must visit this town. It was every bit as beautiful as the canyon. Also, there is a little restaurant called Gallagher’s across the street from the hotel that I highly recommend. Its a little sports bar with pool tables, video poker and a great menu with very cheap prices! Much cheaper than the hotel restaurants. Hotel gift shop prices were comparable to other local souvenir stores so don’t bother shopping around. Definitely go to the 5th ave shops in Scottsdale and for those of you who like to party you must visit Barcelona in Scottsdale as well. Dress up, it is a very classy, fun place to party and dance. The River Ranch water park in the resort was also awesome and great for kids. Over all, a perfect place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank babyrosemarys
Reviewed July 14, 2007

This place is very nice! Everything is very spacious and the rooms are situated in small casitas. Rooms are perfect clean, offer TV, air condition, Video games and a nice bathroom.

The pool area is fantastic. There is a big pool with volleyball net, a very long artificial pool river you can swim along, a sensational water slide and a waterfall. This is perfect for family with kids. The only thing to complain about is, that the pool area closes at 10 pm. Service in the Hilton is above average.

Stay there!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 6, 2007

Just returned from a stay this past week. There were two of us traveling with our three year old daughter. our suite was remodeled, and very spacious. My husband likes to stay up late watching television, so we were able to close off the bedroom and sleep without being disturbed by the tv.
There was an enormous line at check-in, but the man who checked us in was very friendly and apologized for the wait. Overall, I would say that the staff was very friendly.
Room service was lacking, and I would not recommend spending the money on it. There are two places to eat at the River Ranch, which were both good, if a bit overpriced. Beware the extremely high prices for drinks.
Previous reviewers have mentioned the crowding at the River Ranch. I would have to agree with them. It appears that people stake out chairs early in the morning, then come and go throughout the day, leaving few to no chairs available. We were able to find chairs by going to the pool in the early evening and staying until they closed. With the 115+ degree heat that Phoenix was experiencing, it worked out well for us not to be out there in the hottest part of the day, anyway.
Overall, I would recommend this property to families, due to the activities and the size of the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed the resort. We were in the south section, and the rooms were very clean, comfortable, and well-suited for a family with 2 teenagers. The early risers could section off the room to read or watch TV. The only drawback was the lack of a refrigerator to have cold water, milk, or juice. The pools were nice but bring sandals. The concrete is extremely hot on bare feet. There are no in-room safes but the desk was fairly quick to allow us access to the safes that they provide. The weekend concierge was excellent with recommendations on local restaurants, laundry facilities in the area, and grocery stores to shop for snacks. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I just returned from a trip with my two children to this hotel. Upon arrival, the front desk staff could not have seemed to care any less if we were there or not. After travelling all day just to get there, and arriving in 111 degree heat, I was hoping for a line that would at least go quickly (it didn't), or at least front desk personnel that seemed to care (they didn't). Even a smile would have been ok. They finally, lazily, called more staff to the front desk after we had been waiting (with two children!) for 10 about minutes.

Also, each night that we were there we heard the people in the room above us-- they woke us up with the television, their laughing, and their fooling around. My daughter asked me what those noises were, and I had to make something up to answer her! I told a manager, but he didn't seem to care too much either.

The pool area was fun, and we were waited on quickly and often-- that was nice. But people were bringing chairs right into the pool, which I thought was rather dangerous, & the pool staff didn't seem to care about that either.

Maybe the heat had gotten to all of the staff, who knows. But I would not recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank squeebee
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I booked this hotel because I wanted to make sure that my 10-year-old enjoyed our quick trip to Phoenix, and TripAdvisor indicated that the PHSPR was a top choice for families. We could not have made a better choice in that regard. He loved the pool, the lazy river, the water volleyball and basketball, and the Saturday night Dive In movie. The pool employees are like camp counselors, young and energetic, with lots of games and contests. He could have easily spent 12 hours a day at the pool if we had let him.

We did not have a suite, but our room was spacious, stylishly decorated and much nicer than I expected. The air conditioner was noisy (we're not used to air conditioning) but we had no problem sleeping. We could not hear any noise from the adjoining units, and the resort itself was quiet at night.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, pertains to my observation that many people at the pool were not staying at the hotel. According to my Phoenix friends, resort-crashing is common, but the result was that during the hottest part of the day, the pool was almost unbearably crowded. As a corollary, I had a very tough time finding a place to sit by the pool, as towels covered all the lounges. I was not swimming, just wanting to watch my son, and most of the time I sat on the edge of the pool because all the chairs were reserved--even though no one ever came to sit in them. It was annoying, and since the pool management doesn't seem to care about this practice, my advice to anyone planning to stay at the PHSPR is to show up when the pool opens and place towels on at least twice as many chairs as you think you might need.

All in all, a pleasant getaway, and a huge hit with my boy.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family