“Fabulous hotel!”

Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Ballyclare, Northern Ireland
“Fabulous hotel!”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We arrived at this hotel after driving from Las Vegas, NV, and visiting the Hoover Dam. Thankfully we'd already made a reservation before hand as some people next to us hadn't and were told there were no rooms available. The lobby was lovely, and our room was fantastic! - really roomy, nicely decorated and we had a great view from our balcony! The restaurant at the Hole-in-the-Wall River Ranch was great and so was the service. The next day, the River Ranch was really, really busy and it took us ages to find somewhere to sit (granted, it was Independence Day). The lazy river was very enjoyable and it keeps you cool! Overall, I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The service was impeccable, friendly and the resort is gorgeous. The entire family enjoyed the water park as well as food and beverage options. Would go back for a family or friend trip anytime.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is a family resort. Don’t assume that because it is a Hilton that it will be a classy crowd staying there. If kids having fun bother you then this may not be the place for you. My wife and I went here, just the two of us and we had a great time. The water park isn’t that large, but the lazy river and the main pool were nice. It was 115 degrees while we were there so the lazy river and the hotel pools were really warm, but the main pool at the River Ranch was cooled.
Like some other reviews said, the water park was seriously lacking when it came to daily upkeep. Cups and towels left all over weren’t picked up until the end of the day, some not even then. Rules weren’t enforced as far as, “No swimming in the lazy river. Stay in your tube”. If you wanted to float around in your tube, you were constantly being blocked or pushed out of the way by people not in tubes, but just playing around in the river. Nothing was ever said to anyone about it, and it was slightly annoying at first, but seeing how they didn’t enforce that rule, I didn’t feel bad breaking the rule about bringing in your own food and drinks. Food and drinks at the poolside restaurants and bar were way too pricey.
The rest of the hotel was fine, clean rooms and nice staff. The refrigerator froze everything and we couldn’t find an adjustment to lower the temp., and didn’t bother to ask anyone how to do it.
We never ate at any of the hotel restaurants. There are tons of places to eat close by. If you like sushi, try Moto Sushi about a mile up the road. During the week get there between 3 and 5 for happy hour. The only down side of Moto’s was loud angry music. There is a McDonald’s up the road for a cheap breakfast, and a grocery store to stock up on stuff for your stay.
The WIFI is $12 per day, but we were able to find a signal and hook up without having to pay for subscribing. It was a weak signal and was hit and miss, but we used it to find some restaurants that we wanted to try. If you absolutely need to have internet, you may want to pay, but try it first and see what kind of signal you get.
All in all, not a bad place to stay in Phoenix especially if you have kids. Maybe Hilton will work on maintaining the water park a little better. While we were there it looked like it was all kids working in there and they didn’t really care enough to work hard. After school starts an older group may come in and things may improve.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank danno719
Snohomish, WA
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Much like its sister property at Tapatio Cliffs, in order to enjoy your stay here you do need to keep things in perspective. The Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak property is comprised of desert style stucco structures, and it sits in the middle of a part of town that is largely small business parks. In terms of appearance, the Westin Kierland it isn't. Still, I think this hotel has a lot of good qualities that make it a good value, particularly in the summer months when rates are low.

I was upgraded to a bi-level casita which was more than ample room for me traveling alone. The furnishings and fridge were older but there was nothing in disrepair and the room was clean. The casitas have dedicated parking right there which is handy. I had neighbors but I didn't hear them.

My only complaint about the room is that the AC system was loud. But since it was effective in keeping the room at 73 when it was 105 outside it's a little hard to complain about this. The internet service was a bit dodgy and required occasional restarts; not sure why that was, but it was a bit frustrating.

I had great service from the staff. Front desk, restaurant bar, poolside bar, all very friendly. I think this is always worth mentioning given how many uptight travelers and stressed out parents these people must have to deal with.

I view the location of this hotel as a net neutral. It's pretty central to the overall valley; whether it's good for you depends on what you plan to do, obviously. I played golf in Mesa and Scottsdale and this property is sort of between those two places. There is a Walgreens and a grocery store right down the street which is handy.

The main pool area gets much attention in the reviews, and rightfully so, as there is a lot of activity there during the day. As I was there in late July I'm sure I didn't see the type of crowds that others have seen in high season. From what I could see the pools and the "lazy river" were clean; I would defer to reviews from people who stayed in high season on these issues, though. The primary pool area really isn't all that big so I could see it getting very crowded in busy times. I would have liked it if more of this area had been open later, but I understand this is a costs and staffing issue.

I didn't eat at the restaurants here. I'll defer to others on that. The restaurant at the front of the property appeared to have a pretty varied menu, though.

Overall I think this is a good property, and a good value particularly in summertime. For myself I enjoyed my stay at this property and am planning to return with the kids in tow.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JDSnoho
Fontana, California
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed in a 'studio' room (the other half of a lock-off suite), and it was very small. We had a king bed with very little room for anything else in the bedroom, and a bathroom area (no mini fridge or microwave, but they will bring you a microwave for free if you call and a fridge for $15). The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The best part of the resort is the waterpark - it has a lazy river, sports pool, pool volleyball, mini golf course (not the best one - very basic), waterslide, and pools for each area of the resort. If you go here, it might be worth it to upgrade to the larger room (a suite). Otherwise, prepare for a small living space, but adequate for sleeping for a few nights.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
tucson
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We loved our stay , we were at the hotel most of our 4 day stay and we never were bored .
Drinks by the pool , games and snow cones for the kids , no complaints .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Concrete buildings not welcoming you, dirty elevator, dark corridors, room was not clean (e.g. empty beer bottle under TV cabinet). We had an Ambassador suite, which was sure very large but not very logically constructed. It did not appeal to us, a shame of the extra money.
The resort is quite extended and at first you sure get lost. There should be more guidance and support for new guests.
The recreation and pool area is great, however it can get very crowded.
The Hole in the Wall restaurant offered a good dinner, the breakfast however was double zero.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family