“We love the Lazy River!”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
SW USA
“We love the Lazy River!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

This is our second visit to Squaw Peak specifically to cool our heels on the Lazy River. In Mid-June we found the pool and 'river' to be crowded with kids and groups who banded together and made it much less restful than our previous visit in August. The staff who police these areas are very young and pretty much anything goes. We still enjoyed our trip, but will search for a less popular time slot in the future.

The rooms are lovely and clean, refridg, but no microwave. Coffee Maker worked fine tho. With the Suite, we had a livingroom, bedroom and balcony all of which we enjoyed. *bathing suits dry much faster outside. We were allowed 4 water park passes per day and our 22 yr old daughter and a friend were able to join us at no extra charge.

My husband was insulted to find there was a charge to look up a local business on the internet. However, all in all we enjoyed our stay and hope to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

Given the photos online, we thought this was going to be an excellent stay. However, it was crowded, the wait at the front desk was long, the rooms were smaller than they look online, the room window had two windows, both with views of opposing buildings' walls, there was no microwave, etc. etc. There was also the hole in the wall restaurant, which was a hokey restaurant with average food, but pretty pricey.

The worst things was that almost nothing was complementary. The internet, for example, cost $12/day, or you can go to the business suite and use their computers for 59c/min. The spa, although it looked nice, had services almost exclusively $100 and over. A 12-oz soda in the vending machine was $2, and a bottle in the gift shop was $2.50. It must have been making up for the relatively inexpensive room.

It wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed, it just looked so great online and turned out to be a bit disappointing.

1 Thank kunfushuss
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

When we got into the room it was clean and well decorated, a perfect size. It was a two-story casita that had a medium-sized refrigerator and microwave in the kitchenette. The bed was very comfortable, I kept sleeping later than I wanted to!

There was a pool right next to our casita, and I was concerned about noise. But we never heard any outside noise at all, really.

The lazy river and main pool were a lot of fun, and my favorite was the water slide. All of the amenities at the hotel were satisfying. The Lentana Grill was great for buffet breakfast and the dinner we ate there was also delicious.

Last but not least, Eric the terrific concierge took care of our every need, he really made the experience at this hotel absolutely wonderful!

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

This hotel and its property was great. It's not really set up for business travelers, however.

After work, when trying to relax outside, check emails and such, it was astounding how much noise people make. Families with very loud children were absolutely obnoxious. I think that some people forget that there is no need to yell or speak very loudly at all times. Also, the screaming by the children was uncalled for. Playing, having a good time, I understand. But for parents to allow children to just scream bloody murder, disturbing everyone else is just inconsiderate. I tried three different areas to avoid this type of event, but they were everywhere. I think parents just grow accustomed to the yelling and screaming and don't even realize what happens. I stayed on two occasions in June and this was common.

For this reason, I think the hotel should have an adult only/ business area where such events are limited. It would be much better for those of us who need a more subdued environment to work in and relax.

The staff was very kind and helpful when I needed assistance with business matters. I definitely commend the staff!

I would recommend this hotel for vacation only and for families, not couples wanting a nice getaway. They have a really great water park area that I saw but did not enter.

So this hotel definitely has its merits, but for those of us not wanting the uncontrolled shrieking - not a good idea. Parents - be parents!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We traveled to Phoenix to visit my husband's grandmother. The Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak was wonderful! It is the perfect hotel for families. Our suite was great, I have no complaints. Every staff member we came in contact with was wonderful. The staff at the concierge desk was extremely helpful. The food at the Hole In The Wall restaurant was a little pricey but very good. My children enjoyed the water park and the pool outside our hotel room. We had a great experience at this hotel. We would definitely stay here in the future. The location is close to all major attractions.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
llsheely
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Old, overpriced, rude staff at the pools and dining.Had a terrible experience here over the weekend. The 2 bed casita had bugs, the pools are not like it shows online, don't be fooled please read this and look at another place to stay. Waited forever to get waited on at slim pickins, no one ever came, they stood around talking , I even went and got my own menus and told the staff where I was sitting and that we would like to eat...they still never came. We finally got up and left to go to hole in the wall to eat, and as I dropped my towels off out front and told the staff there that we would be back for the towels, and that no one would wait on us at slim pickins so we would be going to try hole in the wall to see if we could get some service there they made a smart comment as we walked away "woooo scary" they said. I was floored, and when I called the front desk to speak with a manager about this right when it happened, they said there was no manager around and then he took my cell number to have one contact me within the hour, that call never came. I have stayed at many many hiltons before and I just can't believe that they are aloud to call themselves a hilton property.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank llsheely
Airdrie, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Just back form this hotel and it was really good value and in a good location for my second visit to Scottsdale. (Previously in Fairmont so used to a good one)
The hotel only cost us around £60 per night with a Trailfinders reservation and we were delighted with it - we even had breakfast vouchers.
The apartment is good with a living room, fridge, coffee maker, but no safe and on old box TV which will be replaced soon they said. The bedroom is a good size but bathroom is tight. Plenty of onsite close parking.
There are pools for each block as well as the water park which is great. Only annoying thing is the tendency to close off part of the best area at weekends for private parties and at weekends the numerous kids who run riot as their parents allow it.
The grounds are great and all is nice and clean so no complaints. As experienced Hilton users, we tend to ignore their restaurants but I have the best tip ever here. Across the road is a pub restaurant called Gallachers where you can feel right at home. The extensive menu is great, food quality is brilliant, and the costs are reasonable. The service here is great with all the girls doing a great friendly job and in particular I compliment the manager Ben Lira who wants to know you and treats all his customers really well. This is often the Scottsdale way where people have a great sense of customer relations.
You would hardly know Gallachers is there because it looks like an office but is is the best kept secret which needs a flashing sign.
Another good one is the Olive Garden on Cactus Road
Anyway, back to the Hilton where we decided to stay on for an extra couple of days at a room rate of $109. The hotel is very worthy of a visit particularly for families and for couples, weekdays are best.
If you need to use the internet, they charge in the room but just go to the business centre where you can use the computers for free.
Scottsdale is the best of America largely undiscovered by Brits so far but give yourself a treat and visit it. The Hilton Pointe is great value and well located with very froendly staff there to serve you well.