“No thanks”

Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Winter Haven, Florida
“No thanks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

I decided to take my husband & children here as a relaxing Fathers day treat, not sure I should have wasted my money.
Check in was adequate but not what I'd have expected from the Hilton, the guy at reception was "just doing his job" no friendly niceities, no chit chat no information other than what was on the check in papers.
We got taken to our room by a golf cart, which the boys enjoyed and were pointed in the right direction for the river ranch, very convieniently behind our room.Our bags were carried in and the guy was very friendly with all the right things to say,nice chit chat and pleasanteries.
The room itself was ok, nice sitting area and separate bedroom.Decor has seen better days though. Wonderfully soft,luxurios beds with plenty of squishy pillows.AC worked perfect.The TINY LITTLE "outside area" I can't call it a "patio" wasn't big enough to swing a cat in and looked straight out onto the car park, good only for keeping a check on the van!
We kept the shades pulled to try & hide it, and pretend it wasn't really there.
River ranch was fine,the boys loved it. Too busy for me and too many tweenagers pushing in front of my little ones. Filling up the water coolers occassionally wouldn't kill anyone! We spent more time at the quieter pool within the courtyard off the lobby which was less crowded and much more relaxed.
We had dinner at the hole in the wall,which was over priced and not worth it.The server couldn't wait to finish with our table of 4 so she could get on to the party of 12 who walked through the door, obviously they were going to tip more than us, and they did as I left a pitance for her lousy,inatentive service!
We had breakfast at the Lantana grill and it was really nice, fresh fruit,cereals,pastries,eggs,bacon etc. and they had an offer on that ment the boys ate free with our adult meals.This wasn't mentioned to us when we checked in, we were told about it when we sat down.
All in all I shouldn't have wasted my money, and it wasn't cheap to stay here, but the boys enjoyed the river ranch.Would I stay here again- NO WAY :(

3 Thank uk-nurse69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

Stayed with my wife and two children (3.5 and 1.5 yrs) at the Pointe from 20-22 June as a last minute change from a hotel in Sedona due to the recent Oak Creek Canyon fires. Resort was available and inexpensive as we needed a place to stay before moving into another resort in Scottsdale.

Resort located in midst of city, surrounded by heavy traffic roads, etc, though we could not hear any road noise due to the landscaping and how the rooms faced inward to a pool area. Room had a separate two queen bed bedroom, TV, bureau, credenza and closet - no security safe though. Odd shape of room led to the use of a pocket door instead of a regular door, plus one bed partially blocked the door exit. Otherwise, the bedroom was fine. "Patio" which was a sliding door off the bedroom looked out into the pool and the neighboring hallway. Just enough room for two chairs - useful only to dry your swim suit. Bathroom split with toilet, tub/shower in one room and sink/countertop in an open area next to the bedroom. Living room had a sofa, chair, chair/desk, TV stand, mini-bar fridge/counter with coffee maker. Minibar was stocked with usual minibar overpriced drinks/snacks. We asked for a refrigerator and microwave which was delivered later in the day. Furniture looked fine, but the carpet was a bit dated. Room was fine, though worn.

Parking was far from the room and no easy path to get the luggage to the room. Initial day the elevator was broken, requiring lugging everything to the second floor by hand. By 2nd day, elevator was functional. Grounds were well maintained and manicured greenery.

Best asset of the Pointe was the water park (passes for each hotel guest) and the quieter smaller pools in two of the hotel complexes. Hotel pools were well maintained, plenty of towels, chairs, cleaned pool, kiddie pool, whirlpool, chilled water cooler/cups. Water park was typical - lazy river, sports pool - volleyball, regular pool with water falls. Too busy for our needs, so we visited only once to see what was offered. Adjacent grill provided food. Food was typical grill food with children's menu. Room service was offered, though we did not partake.

All, in all the stay was slightly above average. Did not see any cockroaches or other bugs. Place was clean, though a bit dated and worn. Hotel lobby was cheerful, staff friendly and helpful. Place was trying hard to make people happy. Would stay again. Price was great.

4 Thank TravelerofNJ
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

If you are looking for a clean and spacious hotel that is conveniently located,and you enjoy a family friendly environment with exceptional service, this hotel may be for you. Although lacking the initial wow factor that I expected, I thought that The Hilton provided amazing service. The concierge was friendly and extremely helpful, our room was always clean, the pool attendants were very welcoming, and room service was quick and delicious. With any hotel, there were a few things that I wished were a bit different. The sitting room was dark, even with all three lamps on, the air conditioning was a little loud and the sink/mirror were separate from the shower/toilet. The light switch to the bathroom was located outside of the bathroom door. So, for those of you traveling with practical jokers, they will have a great time at your expense! Nothing earth shattering, just food for thought. Now, back to the fun stuff...the hotel offers many different pools to accomodate people of all ages, and they even had a movie night! Our courtyard pool closed earlier than posted, so you may want to check the hours. The hotel is conveniently located for sight seeing. Take time to drive around and look at the mountains, they are gorgeous! Scottsdale/Phoenix has wonderful restaurants . NY pizza delivers to the hotel and was fast and delicious, Charlestons and Black Angus are casual but very nice, and have wonderful food and excellent service. Bahama Breeze has good food in a fun environment, and also had outstanding service. Kierland Commons and Desert Ridge shopping centers offer fun shopping, and are nice areas even if you are only window shopping. Plenty of antique shops and golfing opportunities abound. Antique shoppers traveling with families beware: there is one town in particular that is well known for it's antique shops. They have a beautiful brochure, which is extremely misleading. Once you see the gang graffiti, turn around, it does not get much better. It is obvious that the town is trying to clean things up, because the actual downtown area is being renovated and looks quite lovely. The surrounding area...not so lovely, and it isn't worth the risk. Although I feel a little guilty for indirectly ratting them out, I feel a deeper loyalty to innocent families who may get into harms way. Don't miss the Desert Botanical Garden, which is beautiful and very peaceful. There are also plenty of little squirrels and quail to amuse everyone. Crackerjax offers miniature golfing, go-carts and an arcade. Although not entirely perfect, the Hilton offers a comfortable environment for the whole family, and near-perfect service. They have great rates right now, so I would definetely give them a try.

4 Thank Neese
Peoria, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

We were at this hotel on June 19 and June 28, 2006.
June 19 stay:
We arrived at the hotel at about 8:30 p.m. and with 3 kids they were ready to get in the pool and relax after a long day of traveling. Upon check in we were not greeted just checked in. We were given a key and led to the appropriate parking lot for our building and pointed in the direction of our room. We carried our own luggage down a dark hallway to the last room. The room was ok but not worth the price we paid. The smoke detector was hanging from the wall with wires hanging from the wall, we were not sure if it worked or not?? With that said we quickly changed and headed to the pool. It took us a good 10 minutes to find the pool. Once we found it we noticed 3 families leaving the ares with their children. A few minutes later I realized why they were leaving. There were 3 young adults clearly drunk and acting very loud and obnoxious. They were drinking and some very inappropriate behavior between the famale and male was happening in the jacuzzi area. I told my kids to stay at our end of the pool since they really wanted to swim. A few minutes later the young males climed on top of the pool bar's roof and started jumping into the pool. I finally decided to call the front desk and was assurred they would send security. 10 minutes later I called again because no security personnel ever came to the pool area. Another 10 minutes and 6 security personnel officers arrived. The young adults were bad mouthing the security and refusing to get out of the pool. It turns out that they were not even guests at the hotel. A little later 2 of the families that left earlier returned with their kids to swim in the pool. Where were those security officers and why were they not wlking the grounds. The next morning we left the grounds to have breakfast in town not realizing that the hotel offered children eat free with the purchase of an adults meal. Thats because we were not told anything upon check in, no information about the hotel, no information about the specials, and no map or information about their Hole in the Wall water park. I complained about all of the above to Guest Relations and was told I would hear from the General Manager of the Hotel. I only received a call from the Head of Security explaining that the young adults were escorted off the hotel grounds, which was information I already knew. That was the only response I received and the only issue I addressed.
I called the Guest Relations again to inform them that I had not heard a response from the Hotel's General Manager and was told that I received a call from the Head of Security addressing my concerns. I told Customer Relations this was not true and filed another complaint. Which led to our discounted stay on June 28, which was just as bad.
We were offered a 50% discount to stay again. We were given a room facing the courtyard, seemed nice and as if they were attempting to make up for the bad service we previously experienced. We went to the pool and enjoyed a nice quiet time until we got into the ice cold jacuzzi and no one to help fix it. We went back to our room to take showers and questioned if the bathroom/room had been cleaned or cleaned and then used??? The bathroom had a used towel hanging on the back of the door and hair on the floor and in the shower on the tub and shower curtain. I was so angry at this point I just wanted to leave but it was 11:30. We got ready for bed and as my daughter pulled down the sheets to her bed she discovered hair strands between her sheets....she almost threw up and was on the verge of tears because she didn't want to sleep in it. The next morning I decided to take the kids to the Hole in the Wall Water Park attached to the hotel and discovered the mail pool was closed. After an hour or so I walked down to see if it was open. I saw bugs floating in the pool. These were roach type bugs that were huge. They were so big I had to ask if they were real or a childs toy. They were real. There were grounds keepers and maintance workers running around all morning so I didn't know what was going on. Now I know there are bugs everywhere but if they had sprayed I think they should of opened later or scooped the bugs out of the pool right away. I was scared to let my children in the pool because I didn't know if there was chemicals in there or what. The bugs were also floating in the lazy river......YUK! At this point I just wanted to run as fast as I could from this place. The water park staff was rude and no one there was helpful. I again called the Guest Relations to complain and was told that I would hear from the General Manager of the hotel. As of today July 4, I have not heard a word from anyone. I would stay as far away from this hotel as possible. You could get better service from any other hotel in the area for far less money.

5 Thank TravelMomWithLuggage
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2006

Not a bad place to stay.....two issues I had. The cock roaches in the rooms, big ones, and the fact that they didn't have free internet access.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kirkwood, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

Stayed at this resort for one week while at a business conference in Phoenix. The one-bedroom suite was very clean and the bedding was exceptional. Probably the best night's sleep I have ever had while staying in a hotel. We ate two breakfasts on site at the Slim Pickens Restaurant. The first was a breakfast buffet on Sunday and it was exceptional. All you can eat for 9.99. Service was excellent. The second time we ate was during the week and breakfast cost more and was not very good. Service was not acceptable. We thought that our young waiter had quit during our meal.

The propery was very well kept. The only problem was the pool area where we were located. Each area has its own pool. During the first few days of our stay, the pool was in disarray every morning. Towels were not picked up and food and beverage containers were still everywhere from the night before. About Wednesday, things changed and the pool area was spotless. Possibly the person in charge of the pool was on vacation at the beginning of the week. Another problem with the pool was a private company giving swimming lessons to small children. After a day of being in conferences, it would have been nice to just get into the pool, but that wasn't always possible. Last, there are no pool rules posted and children were throwing balls, diving into the pool (there was a no diving sign), and many just being obnoxious. No real parenting going on there. The same could be said for the Lazy River. Luckily I wasn't there for a relaxing vacation.

While I would consider staying there again because the rooms and staff were so nice, probably I would look for another place.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank SXMChick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

We have custody of our 7 year old grandson and we found Squaw Peak on the Hilton website. We wanted a "fun" place to take him and this looked like it was it. After booking, I became concerned after reading some of the TripAdvisor reviews.

Having stayed in a number of Hilton properties, I can tell you that if you have children, this is the place to go. The River Ranch has multiple pools, a long lazy river for use with pool-supplied inner tubes, a water slide, and a kiddie pool. Neat waterfall for kids and adults to play in. There is also a hot tub at the River Ranch. Food at the River Ranch outdoor bar is the same price as any pool resort-a little pricey, but not outrageuos. But there are plenty of "water stations" at the pool with large containers of free cold water and plenty of cups along side. The only aspect that bothered me is that through the week, it closed at 8 pm. I thought that too early-especially with the temp hitting 112 degrees...

The Hole in the Wall restaurant at the River Ranch was good and the prices were very reasonable. We did not play the miniature golf only because it was too hot, but it looked fun.

We stayed in a regular suite with 2 queen beds, and it was fine. Very comfortable bed. No, you could not put personal items in the fridge, but we bought a styro cooler down the street at Walgreens and kept it filled with ice from the ice machines located on every floor.

If you are eating outside the resort, you will need a car. You can walk to Aunt Chiladas (good Mexican food-neat atmosphere- very reasonable prices-good margaritas -you can purchase your own shaker to take home!) Other than that, you will need to drive. Good choices are Claim Jumper (good prices- kid friendly-neat menu choices-to die for 6 layer chocolate cake..it is a 10 dollar dessert, but feeds a host of people!) Another fun place to take kids is the 5 & Diner. (Juke box at every table, milk shakes served in the stainless shakers-terrific food real really reasonably priced..) Pizza was good and inexpensive at Streets of New York.

We were only there for 4 days, so we did not go on any tours or day trips. But our grandson enjoyed the pools so much that it did not matter to us that we did not go anywhere else. After the pool closed at 8 pm, he could swim in our south-end pool complex. I thought the water was cloudy in the hotel complex pool, but he enjoyed it anyway. I was looking forward to using the hotel complex hot tub after the River Ranch closed, but the first night, it was ice cold! It was warm the remaining nights, though...

We did check out the Hilton Tapatio Resort also in Phoenix. Again, if you have kids or are an adult that likes water play, stick to Squaw Peak! I did think the pricing for the Squaw Peak kids "Coyote Camp" was too high. But since our grandson was perfectly happy making friends in the River Ranch water area, we did not use the Camp. The River Ranch is open later on Fri and Sat nights-they show an outdoor kids movie on Sat nights. The kids can swim and watch a movie at the same time-that was kinda cool...

It did bother me that there were no safes in the rooms-that needs attention!! And a 10 dollar a day charge for internet service was ridiculous-I would not and did not pay for that-even thought I took my wireless laptop with me. Sorry, but that should be free!!!

The staff was friendly and they all took a few moments and chatted with our grandson whenever he wanted to show them his latest purchase from a gift shop or needed scotch tape or glue for something he was working on..(Much appreciated, staff!) And the lady at the 3rd floor kids concierge played a board game with him one hot afternoon-thanks! And the hotel concierge in the lobby really knew the area and what to recommend. He printed a map for us one night when we asked directions for an eatery. And they will print your boarding passes for you the day before you leave-that was a great help to us!

I do think they need more handicapped parking. My husband requires handicapped parking, and it was always hard to find one available-especially during the weekend.

But all in all, we had a really fun time just swimming, exploring the resort complex, trying out new restaurants-just spending some quality family time together. It was very relaxing and my grandson is ready to go again next year. Ditto for my husband and I !!

21 Thank rckl0382