“customer service was great”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #43 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed May 16, 2006

After reading all 113 reviews, I was skeptical. Sometimes I wonder if these reviews help or hinder a trip. My family of 4 (2 girls 5 and 10) travelled with my parents to Phoenix for a 5 day vacation. My mother can be hard to please. She had a great time. Here are the positives and negatives. Every person we encountered at the hotel was friendly. The rooms we average. They are not the nicest Hilton rooms, but the are great for a family. We stayed in the North building in a 1 bdrm suite. It was nice to shut the doors and watch tv while kids slept. There is only one sink, but there is a dressing area in the bedrooom. The price is actually good. We have relatives that paid the same at a basic Best Western and they didn't have near the pool areas that we had. We had a great pool right by our room and when we wanted a change we wandered off to the River ranch, something my children enjoyed thouroghly. The food at the hole-in-the-wall for breakfast was good. The dinner a bit pricey and only average. I suggest you rent a car and try some of the other restaurants that Phoenix has to offer. If you don't have a Cracker Barrel restaurant where you are from search one out while here. They are the best. Also Aunt Chiladas is just O.K. If you come from an area with good Mexican food you will not enjoy this restaurants version. Try to eat at Macayos. Much better. All in All this is a good hotel for the price with better customer service then we have encountered in many of the high end resorts we have stayed at. I wondered where some of these other people stayed when I got there and compared reviews. I do agree that the Hilton should install safes in each room as my father (a retired Police officer) caught a 13yr old trying to steal walletts at the River Ranch.

• Stayed: May 2006
19  Thank AANDA'SMOM

Reviewed May 2, 2006

Slight problem with the reservation. When we called in March the week before we were to arrive, they told us that our reservation change (Made in December) was not listed anywhere in their files. The reservations agent was pleasant, but said he couldnt change the reservation and we would have to check out a day earlier than planned. Since this was a reward trip, we were upset but just had him book a room for one night in Sedona (since we were going there anyway)

My wife checked in on Monday afternoon with the kids. She asked for and got an upgrade to a casita. She asked when we were checking out, and they had the change in place (Magic?). She didn't say a word, just cancelled the Sedona reservation.

I arrived in the evening and was very impressed with the Casita. The ground floor had a full kitchen and dinning room, half bath plus a living room with fold out bed and TV. You walk upstairs to a bedroom and full bath, with a private balcony off of the bedroom.

While we did have a car, I dont understand why previous posters said there was nothing within walking distance other than Aunt Chilada's. There was a strip shopping center just across the street with a chinese carryout and some sort of sports bar. 1/2 mile away was a drug strore/liquor store and across the street from that was a supermarket.

The kids enjoyed the lazy river, tubes and minature golf. We ended up buying the resort package, although the golf would have been free since we were diamond level, but I was sending and receiving large faxes and it made doing this more economical. Both restaurants were open. No complaints about the food.

I read these posts and always wonder about the resorts - some people are very negative, some are very positive. I have found a balanced report is more telling. Just my $ 0.02

• Stayed: March 2006
18  Thank Statmans
Reviewed April 14, 2006

Just returned from a last minute "spring break" vacation. Other than the hotel being packed to full capacity...it was a decent stay. The pool area is very family friendly, with plenty to do. A shallow/wading area for the little kids and a water slide for the bigger kids. My only complaint was the amount of people! But it was Spring Break, so what did I expect?! It was very, very crowded....with almost every lawn chair taken by 8:30 am! And the chairs are packed so close together, you can't walk through them. And they were definitely understaffed for that amount of people. The pool area would probably be more appealing at another time of year.
When making your reservation....request a "renovated" room! (& on an upper floor)Our first room was on a bottom floor, and not renovated. It was dark & felt a little bit like a Motel 6. We requested to move and our second room was far, far better! It had been renovated and had two queen beds...it's also a larger room than one with a king bed. It's hard to believe they can charge the same price for the two different rooms. Lastly, we had an AC problem with the second room. We requested it be fixed at 8 am and at 7 pm we found it couldn't be fixed. They offered to move us, but it was 7pm with two little kids! So we stayed. But I did talk with management the next morning, and they took off one full night stay for the inconvenience. That was appreciated. Overall, I think the value of the hotel is what you pay for. I would probably go back.

14  Thank Kalena-Travels
Reviewed April 12, 2006

We recently stayed at the Hilton on our Spring Break. Overall, we had a fantastic stay. We were upgraded from a regular room to a Casita (because of my Hilton Honors status), and those are VERY nice. We are a family of four and it was great not to be bumping into each other constantly, with two bathrooms available. We even had a private pool tucked in between a couple of buildings, which provided a nice break from the noisier River Ranch area.

The grounds are nice, and we found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The concierge personnel were great - very helpful with suggestions that always worked out well. They had cards for all of the suggested locations with addresses and directions printed out - very convenient.

A fault in the hotel which was pointed out earlier is the lack of a safe in the rooms. Hotel management really needs to ask temselves where they expect the families to leave their wallets and devices when they leave their room in the morning to spend the day at the pool.

The breakfast buffets that are offered at both of the onsite restaurants are very average. No made to order omlettes or waffles that are often available at other Hilton resorts. In addition, the ice cream/candy/snack shop that was onsite closed at 7 pm! Unbelievable that it wouldn't be open later during this time of year.

Overall, the family had a great time and I would definetly return.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank ljayglover
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We were robbed of $8,000 in property while staying here. At the end of our Arizona vacation, we decided to stay at this very high priced resort to give ourselves a treat. We thought, with the waterpark and all the activites, it would be a great place for our family vacation to end. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. We were on the last day of our vacation when we went down to the waterpark for the day. My husband placed his shorts containing his wallet, room key and eyeglasses in a locked locker in the Men's changing room. He went to check on the locker in the afternoon to discover the lock had been cut with bolt cutters. Because we had signed for our breakfast that morning, he also had a receipt with our room number on it which allowed the thieves to go into our room and remove everything of value. Computers, cameras, i-pods and many personal items which cannot be replaced. There are no in room safes. We waited ten hours for the Phoenix police to show up and the only thing Hilton offered to do was pay for our dinner. We are still in the proccess of sorting out all the financial problems. My advice, if you insist on staying here, leave all your valuables at home!

14  Thank binkymom
Reviewed April 4, 2006

Our family has stayed at this hotel numerous times, the last being in July of 2005. After staying at many hotels in the Phoenix area, this has to be the best so far for us. Oh, I'm not comparing it to the Biltmore for heaven's sake! And the Scottsdale Princess was for another trip without kids. But we paid rates as high as $200 a night right to $89, depending on the time of year. Either rate, we have never had a greater time than when staying here. I have 2 boys (Ages 7 and 17) and BOTH were entertained on a regular basis. The stay in July ($89 rate) was by far the best so far! The manager, having rec'd a hysterical call from me the evening before, went over and above any hotel manager ever has. Seems that I had booked incorrectly and had us checking in one day prior to our arrival date. The manager assured me that although I didn't show up, there would be no problem for the following day.

When we did arrive the following day, we were led to a townhouse type room. No, I didn't request it. No, I didn't tell them I had stayed with them before. We walked into a 2 story 3 bedroom townhouse suite! Complete with our own deck, 2 bathrooms and a smaller swimming pool in our backyard to be shared with others. What a treat! The staff was friendly, efficient and always ready to help. The maid service was exceptional and the eateries were exactly what we were looking for. No fuss, inexpensive, yet the food was delicious and always served with a smile. The night times were so nice, sitting by the fire just talking til the wee hours.

We come to Phoenix at least 4 times a year, sometimes with the kids, sometimes without. Our main reason for visiting the area is because we have very close friends that relocated from NJ to Mesa, AZ. They were so impressed with our digs, they moved in for the weekend.

We stayed for 5 nights, with never a dull moment. Water park was a nice starting and ending point for our touring days. And a nice welcome to a plain 'ol pool on the property. Us adults revelled in the lazy river and even took a few rides on the 15 story slide! (Will not be trying that again, ouch!)

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank koalalover
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We wanted to end a week in Az. with a little poolside R&R and this resort was great in that dept. All of our kids, ages 14,12 and 4 had a blast and were not bored at all at the water facilities. My husband and I also took a short walk from the resort to a park full of trails of different levels of difficulty. You can walk on flat trails around some pretty lofty peaks or you can tackle the peaks and be rewarded with some pretty views. The only real low point came when we bought tickets to the western dinner show on the property. It was HORRIBLE! Both the show and the food at dinner were not worth a fraction of the cost. The food at the Lantana Grill was also below average. Next time, we will probably venture off the property for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2006