“Over rated and dissapointing”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
UK
“Over rated and dissapointing”
Reviewed November 5, 2005

We chose this hotel after reading the good reviews -yes the grounds are pretty but we were so dissapointed with our stay, especially as I had phoned for advice and recommendations on packages and accommodations.
ROOMS: We had a suite of sitting room with sofa sleeper and bedroom with 2 doubles. The first night we were in the south pointe block, very dated rooms with vanity at end of bed in main bedroom and only 4 small drawers for 5 peoples clothes for a week's stay!!!! The paint was flaking off the woodwork, the room smelled dirty even though it looked clean, and the bathroom was the most basic and I thought the smallest bathroom I have experienced in the USA. We had just spent all day driving so we just shut up and put up. Next morning we got transferred over to the north pointe block to an updated room on the ground floor which I had said was OK but the desk clerk failed to mention that there was a five foot screen blockwall enclosing our tiny patio because it adjoined the car park, the suite was tidier but the bathroom was even smaller than the first, a very short tub but slightly better shower head, thankfully the vanity had its own recess seperate to the bedroom and was pretty with granite countertop and nice fittings. You could only get out one side of the beds as I found out when I got up in the night and crashed into the wall and I am quite petite! There was more clothes storage though. Suites are better suited to a 4 people occupancy than 5, my teenage son was not amused that the maid had walked in 3 times by 8am, he was on the sofa sleeper and waiting to shower, he made sure he used the do not disturb sign after that. Registration told us that they were sorry we had been wrongly advised, we should have booked a casita.
FOOD: We were advised to take out the bounceback breakfast package at an extra $20 + tax a night and that kids breakfast was free, our kids ages were on the confirmation slip so reservations knew 2 of them were over the age 12 cut off for kids meals. Bounceback breakfast only costs $8-50 at the table so it is cheaper to pay or charge it at the table on a daily basis than to purchase vouchers in advance, kids breakfast is not included but it is only $4, but our breakfast bill was an extra $15-$20 daily on top of what I had been quoted, we got another I'm sorry, you were misinformed. Also check your restaurant bill, ours was wrong 3 days out of 4 and the bounceback breakfast options varied depending on your server despite being written clearly on the menu- we opted to skip breakfast after that as we couldn't face any more meals there or any more 'I'm sorry but you were misinformed' comments - the other restaurant was closed. The restrooms in the hole in the wall are labelled 'squatters' and 'standers' which I actually found offensive.
RIVER RANCH: The nightly rate only covers 4 people per suite, extra kids are $10 daily, another 'I'm sorry but you were misinformed' as I specifically asked if all resort fees were included for all 5 of us when I booked and was told - yes of course.
River ranch has a lazy river (it is actually the river that is lazy, it is so slow you have to paddle yourself in order to move). There is 1 flume type slide, a toddlers pool, 2 swimming pools and a very hot spa, which I liked once they cleaned it out but I was the only one in it, others dipped toes, said ouch and walked away as it was so hot. My 5 year old was kept amused for about the same amount of time as in a regular hotel pool, my older kids were not particularly impressed and actually didn't bother swimming everyday, I had booked the hotel specifically to treat the kids to better pool facilities after they had seen the pool area on the website, they had been looking forward to staying there too.
STAFF: Always friendly and courteous and very good at saying 'I am sorry you were misinformed'!! We pointed out our issues to the desk clerk when we checked out before our due departure date as the experience was ruining our vacation so much we checked into alternative accommodation, he refunded all unused bounceback vouchers and said 'Im sorry....... - you get the rest by now.

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank 5ofus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Italy
Reviewed November 3, 2005

We loved this hotel, the rooms are beautiful & the staff were very friendly & efficient. Unfortunately we only spent one night here & it was a weekday so that was probably an advantage as I expect at weekends it gets pretty crowded. Anyway I'd loved to have stayed longer & we are definitely planning to return.

5 Thank Chrella
North Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2005

What a beautiful hotel! We stayed only one night and arrived late (enjoyed Sedona too long) and our kids were very disappointed to find the River Ranch closing as we arrived. (It closes at 6 and opens at 9 a.m.) We had to leave in the morning so that was out too but we were able to enjoy one of the other pools. The room (2 room suite) was huge and the beds very comfy. There was a bar area with a refrig. and two TV's. It was an easy drive to a nice mall and we got to the airport in less than 20 minutes.

Check-in was very easy with friendly staff. We would enjoy a stay here again if we had more time!

6 Thank momzor
Middlesbrough
Reviewed October 29, 2005

I stayed here for 1 night only on business. We stayed in an array of hotels but this was by far the best. Check In was quick and easy. We arrived in our rooms and we upgraded to a suite. WOW!! Two huge very comfy beds, wide screen tv, lovely bathroom. Kitchen area with breakfast bar and sitting room area. All rooms do have balconies but they all dont have excellent views - if you are lucky you get pool view but others over look car parks etc - not so good!!

We werent here for long but managed to sample to water slides and pools - they were lovely in nice settings. Also there are numerous other pools nearer to the rooms which have jacuzzis. These are open 24 hours which is good but there are a lot of kids here obviously so it gets a bit crowded.

Had a meal at the hole in the wall restaurant which was nice - has a cow boy theme and sells grill type food. There was entertainmerment here. If you can sit outside here - I would as inside is quite poorly lit and we found it made you very drowsy indeed. Also it took quite a while for the food to be served but there was a large group of us so I suppose it could be expected.

The service I found was very friendly nothing was too much trouble. There is also a shop onsite which sells souvenirs and drinks etc which is quite handy. Would have liked to spend a bit more time here as felt didnt really see they whole complex as it is fairly large. Only complaint I would have is we couldnt find any safes in the rooms. Not sure if they had any or they were too well hidden haha.

All in all a great hotel - Definately 4*!!!!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank Anonam
Vancouver
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Stayed at the Hilton Squaw Peak for a week with my family and my neighbour and his family. I am HH Diamond and booked both rooms and we were both upgraded to a Casita and given two breakfast vouchers per day.

The kids (ages 5-9) loved the River ranch and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We went during early October and aside from the weekend there were very few people at the pools so it was fairly quiet. I even saw a few people floating down the lazy river reading a book – you probably couldn’t do that during the high season. We also spent an afternoon at the Tapito Cliffs Hilton which was very nice but more suited to adults than families - although they did have a very good waterslide.

All in all it was an excellent vacation and I will return next year.

9 Thank David R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2005

My fiancée and I arrived at the Squaw Peak Hilton on 9/24 for 2 nights. As a Hilton gold card member we were upgraded to a very nice and spacious room. It had 1 and a half bathrooms, 2 TVs, kitchen area, large couch and a boardroom table that could seat 8! The only minus was the sink outside the bathroom – I so hate that.

However, after getting settled in, I happened to notice a small shard of glass on the living room couch. This alarmed me as it is obviously dangerous if someone sat down or a child picked it up. Otherwise the room was very clean.

On Monday 9/26, we awoke to a loud racket at 6:30 a.m. only to find a very large crane right outside our bedroom balcony doing some sort of building work. Needless to say, it ruined any chance of a restful morning. It finished at 9:00 a.m. My question is why did the management need to disturb guests at such an early hour? Had the noise began at 9:00 a.m., fair enough, but 6:30? Why so early and directly outside occupied rooms?

The grounds were beautiful and the pool area was clean and well kept. The Hole in the Wall restaurant was good, but it was the only option for a restaurant as the other was being renovated. It was also the only bar available apart from the pool bar that had limited hours. I've never been in a Hilton hotel without an inside bar or at least a coffee shop. This had neither.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank Treborwf
ny, ny
Reviewed September 1, 2005

Just got back from a five day stay at Hilton Squaw Peak and found it to be a nice hotel. The "suite" was a nice change from having "just a room", and the extra television set was great for my daughter. The beds were comfortable and had nice linens and a down comforter (although not what you need in Phoenix in August!!) I felt the room was dark and needed some updating. I don't care for sinks outside the bathroom...and you guessed it...here the sink is outside the bathroom! Initially, when we checked in we were given a first floor South suite location. This room was not to our liking, since it was in a dark part of the building that seemed out of the way! We immediately went back to the desk and they offered us a room on the fourth floor. The room was better...however, the elevator to get to the room had no a.c. and the fan did not work!! We realized this was a problem after we had already unpacked! So for five days, my daughter and I ran up and down the stairs to get to the room while my husband decided to "tuff it out" in the elevator! (Note: I told my husband we should complain about the elevator, but he insisted that this is probably something they are well aware of! To be continued...at end of review) They appeared to be doing lots of updating around the premises (but not to the elevator!) The pool area for the "South" building was closed due to "renovations", however, during our stay, we never witnessed any renovation work going on there! The water park area was nice, and since we were there midweek, there were no crowds to contend with! The lazy river was soooo lazy that sometimes, we actually paddled our way through it! High marks for the cleanliness of the pool area (especially the bathrooms..kept nice and clean!).
Ate several times at Hole in the Wall and was very pleased with the food. Had a great waitress the first time we ate there so we were sure to return. This waitress brought to our attention that "kids eat free" which we were unaware of! Nice bonus! However, upon our return visits, we were charged for our daughter's meal and had to remind our servers of this! The service got worse and worse with each return trip and we never saw that first waitress again! We ate at Aunt Chilada's and found it to be an excellent dining experience! (great chips!!)
Also had breakfast at 5th and Diner and enjoyed it! Every time we wanted to eat away from the hotel, we needed to drive at least 10-15 mins. to do so. I would have liked a hotel that had places to eat and shop that were a bit closer or "walkable".
Before I selected this hotel for our stay, I read many reviews and selected
the Hilton based on the information I gathered. The "kid-friendly" factor was key to my selection of this hotel and our daughter did enjoy the water park facilities. I would have liked "spiffier" accommodations for my husband and I to feel a bit pampered, but I guess at the rate we got, it was what we paid for! Back to the elevator story....(I didn't forget!!) when we were checking out, I decided to mention to the desk person that the elevator in our part of the building had no a.c. or fan and that it caused lots of inconvenience for us. She said they were unaware of this and that no one else mentioned it! My husband didn't believe her but she did seem sincere...who knows?

• Stayed August 2005