“April stay”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed May 8, 2013

nice casita's; kitchen had next to NO provisions such as plates, utensils..not even a bottle opener (although they did bring one when we asked). clean and location very good. Lazy river in the water park was great too. Quiet grounds.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for a Wed-Sunday getaway with my wife, and 2 and 4 year olds. It was the perfect getaway. We had a late flight and I knew our kids would be cranky so I called ahead asking for extra towels and a crib in our room. We were upgraded to a Casita (Hilton Gold) which had the crib and towels so we could wash up and get to bed quickly. Check in was a breeze. Finding the right casita in the dark was a little difficult, but during the day it was fine.
Casita was great with an entryway from the carport, with small fridge and microwave, and sink. There was a ½ bath downstairs, with a 4 person kitchen table and 2 bar stools at a mini bar. Not a full kitchen though, and they only provide plastic plates, bowels, etc. It would be ideal for breakfast and small lunched and reheating leftovers. Had a loveseat and a large couch that pulled out to a sofa bed and a large TV. Downstairs was great, except the carpet was old. It was clean but just needed some TLC, but everything else was well kept. Upstairs we had 2 queen beds. They were more the size of double beds though so it was a little inconvenient. Bathroom was large with good toiletries and even aloe vera gel. Beds were comfortable with lots of pillows and large TV upstairs. There was a door outside to a large sundeck that had a table and 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs. This was great to be able to go out while the kids are napping or after they got to bed for a drink.

The entire grounds were well kept and manicured every day. It’s a beautiful setting, and the website pictures really do look like the hotel. Our Casita was at the very end of the winding Casita Court. There were trails and walkways to cut through the resort and it was only about a 5 minute walk to the River Ranch and Lobby, or about 8 minutes to Ricos.

The pools were great. We only visited the large Ranch pool as it provided enough entertainment for our kids. There was a small kiddie wading pool, large general pool, sports pool, lazy river, and water slide. They had plenty of footballs, basketballs, volleyballs, frisbees to checkout for free. Our kids loved changing pools and also loved the lazy river. They also have several other pools on the resort, and they looked very relaxing so we didn’t interrupt them with our kids…. On Thursday the pools were almost empty, I would say only about 10% of the chairs were taken. On Friday it was close to 40% and on Saturday it was very busy probably closer to 75%. There are several different lounge areas and some are basic loungers and some are cushioned. It was sometimes hard to find waiters but service at the bar was quick. Food at pool was OK, but small selection. Drinks were good though ($5.50 -$6.50 beers, about $10 frozen drinks) and they would have a special each weekday. The BBQ place was next to the pool and they had a larger menu and you could get that food to go to take back to your room, or just eat at the pool. This area also had a mini-golf course. I would not pay to play here, but it was OK for being included, nothing that exciting though. On Thursday at times we were the only ones on the lazy river. On Friday it was crowded with a lot of people with drinks in hand. Still plenty of rafts open though, and everyone just having a good time. Pool area was mostly clean. Sometimes there was trash on the ground, but they had people walking around picking it up. (it would be nice if people threw their own trash away instead of just throwing it on the ground)

Housekeeping was great. Asked for extra towels the first day and each day they always gave us 6. Rooms were always clean by about 4pm, and they worked well around our kids naps. We asked for a humidifier for our kids not expecting them to have one but they did. Only downside was it was ancient and extremely dirty. I hope they threw it away because I’d rather breathe dry air than dirty air….

Kids club was for kids 4-12 and they had to have a least 3 people to open for the day. It would be nice to drop kids off and go golfing or leave the hotel for the day-maybe next time.

Restaurants were average and hit and miss. Ate at Rico’s every morning for breakfast. Gold members get buffet for $7 each, which was good because they did not charge our kids. It was almost identical to an embassy suites breakfast buffet. I would not have paid full price, but probably would have ordered off the menu. Service was great in the mornings. At night, food was OK, but service was horrible and one person would tell me a special and then another person would tell me different specials. The BBQ place has a decent menu and food was OK. Ate there several times, so it did get old after a while. Almost the same kids menu and kids meals were $7 at the BBQ place, and $9 at Ricos. Both are pricey for kids. While food was average, it was very convenient just to walk somewhere for breakfast, lunch, and dinners, and not have to pack up the kids to drive down the street. There are several other restaurants close by, some within walking distance. Favorite was Z-Tapas about 2 miles away.

Wife tried to book a Spa appt, but they were booked all weekend. Others spas are within walking distance as well though.

Booked here on Points. It was a good value at 30k points a night in May. It looks like the hotter it gets, the cheaper the prices get as there are some great rates in the summer. As a gold member on points I got upgraded to a casita, $7 full buffet (or 3 items from pantry) and I was not charged the $18 resort fee.

Overall this was a perfect relaxing getaway with 2 young kids. Never needed to leave the resort. Only left the resort because we felt like we had to since we flew from OKC and a least had to see some of Phoenix. (went to the firetruck museum and botanical gardens.) I CANT WAIT TO COME BACK!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank truprunbike
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would give it a 3 1/2 if it were an option. We booked this hotel for the waterpark and stayed in February It was my husband and our 5 year old traveling. The food was fine. The breakfast buffet at the exterior restaurant was really good. We ate out several times and had a fridge for leftovers. However, we had to go to the gift shop and ask if we could warm them up. We bought a case of water at Walgreens to have and kept in the fridge.

Sometimes there was quite a wait at the pool bar/restaurant for snack and drinks. It was VERY crowded on the weekend so not sure if locals pay the resort fee to utilize the waterpark?? The kiddie pool area is very small and had just a few chairs. However, they had no problem with us moving the chairs to accommodate more seating. The lazy river was nice. My daughter had a great time playing with other kids. There are several pools and deck areas. But the kids here age were in the kiddie pool area. We always pack snacks or buy them when we arrive to have during the day.

The room was fine and a decent size. But the way they are set up facing the courtyard, the front room was very dark. We like a lot of natural light. We had the front living room and 2 double beds in the bedrooms. They did not change the sheets unless you asked. You had to put a card on the bed to imply you wanted them changed. We figured this out on the 3rd day as no one told us. The rooms are updated in a way but some parts still seem dated. We had to ask them to re- vacuum one day. So they could work on the "room cleaning a bit". The cleaning just where you can see drives me insane. I know once they did not clean the tub because the washcloth was still there.

We might revisit staying here again if the cleanliness improves . The location is ok. We were right by the Mountains so we would hike in the am and it was warm enough for pool time by noon. The front desk staff were very helpful.

The only other concern we had...on 2 separate mornings, there were police there. We were told both mornings that there was a drunk person that was dropped off at the wrong hotel???(2 days in a row).

It is a great facility for families.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Hello jencot,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent visit to the Valley of the Sun. I'm happy to know you and your family enjoyed your time. Your feedback is greatly appreciated in allowing us the opportunity to improve the guest's experience. Please accept my apologies for the condition of your suite. Your comments have been shared with our housekeeping team to ensure their attention to detail in keeping with our high level of standards. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We took a family trip to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon with our two kids, ages 11 and 14. The hotel is very convenient to the airport and we thought the service was friendly and attentive. We also really enjoyed the buffet at the restaurant. As for the hotel, it felt dated and a bit drab. We stayed in a 2 story casita, which was spacious and included a kitchen (it would have been helpful to have plates and silverware--or plastic-ware). The rooms just seem dark and very bland. We didn't feel like it was fresh and clean or luxurious. Also, the pools and waterpark were a mob scene and completely overwhelming. The first day we went, we had to sit all the way in the back of the park--not near any of the pools or other people. It was a sandy, dirty area with a few lounges. I just feel that if you only have a certain capacity for your water park, then make sure you don't exceed it. That part of our trip was very unpleasant. Honestly, people we met on our travels were raving about the Marriott--Desert Ridge nearby. It was more costly, but I would pay the extra fee next time. I just didn't feel like this was a typical top notch Hilton. Maybe after another renovation and expansion of the water park area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Hello Mary D, Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Your candid review is greatly appreciated. We embrace suggestions and our guests' feedback when considering enhancements to improve the guest's experience. I'm glad to know you found our location to be convenient and our staff accommodating. It is my hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is 3rd time we've stayed at this hotel and despite the kids loving the pool, it will be our last. Rooms were not cleaned well, multiple small infractions. Don't look under bed-yuck! Carpet filthy. Service is definitely going downhill-just try to get a drink at pool! Poolside hotdog bar closes when they run out-at 12:45 one afternoon. Parents stuck at baby pool with little ones-no poolside waitstaff for 4 hrs. Long waits at restaurants, Internet in room unreliable. Too much competition to put up with this again

• Stayed: April 2013
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hello Azgirlnow, Your feedback is appreciated. As a repeat guest, it's disappointing to know we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent visit. I'm sorry we didn't have the opportunity to speak with you prior to departure in order to allow us the opportunity to improve the quality of your stay. If you should decide to return in the future, please contact my office directly so we may ensure your next visit is more positive.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My friends and I ended up in a two bedroom casita as a result of my booking error of another hotel through Travelocity.ca. (btw.: always double check your booking on Travelocity-it's a nightmare to have them change anything!) It was not a desired standard to start with, but I must say the casita arrangement worked OK. The bedrooms looked alright, nothing fancy but OK, each had a separate full bathroom which was important. There was also a powder room downstairs. The lower level made a terrible first impression on us, with its old, grimey looking carpet in the ugliest shade of dirty brown and dark (also brown) curtains that made the entire space gloomy and depressing. The entire complex is visibly dated and more on a kitschy side. I guess, it's a paradise for families with small children who enjoy the lazy river and other kid oriented "attractions". The spaciousness of the casitas plus the deck are a definite plus for families or groups. It certainly isn't a luxurious hotel, and if you think Hilton equals high standard, you'd be disapponted.

The location is not bad: close to the Scottsdale area, easy to access major roads. The housekeeping varied depending on who was on duty; sometimes it was great, other times very superficial. Very limited toiletries were supplied.The resort fee includes the WiFi access, but it is not clearly stated, so it appears that there is no WiFi outside of the public areas and that you need to pay for a connection. Ask for your complimentary password. The reception staff and concierge were usually kind and helpfull, although on the last day we ended up paying more for the taxi we asked them to call because they ordered some super SUV (and didn't tell us) instead of the regular one. As far as food is considered, I would not recommend any place within the hotel grounds. Really bad food.

So...if you want to make kids happy and don't mind older, mostly brown and musty smelling accomodations, Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak is your bet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hello sferaverde, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort. Although you expressed your satisfaction with a few attributes including our location and the spaciousness of our 2 bedroom Casitas, I'm disappointed to know we weren't able to provide you a more positive experience. Guest satisfaction is essential so we value constructive feedback to improve the quality of our guest's impression. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for a re-occurring industry conference that I attend annually. The hotel is OK overall, but I would probably not choose to stay there on my own. The rooms are clean, the grounds are beautiful, the staff is nice, and the lazy river can't be beat. The pool area in general is awesome. I've never done the family or kids activities, but they did have a nice schedule posted that looked like a lot of fun!

This past visit, they 'upgraded' me to a casita, which would be nice, except that I am visibly 7 months pregnant and my casita was the furthest possible point to any conference activities- at least a 20 minute walk back and forth in 100+ degree weather. Did you not see my huge pregnant bump? Why would you think that would be an 'upgrade'?! However- normally, I love to walk, and the casitas are large and quite nice, so I think if I wasn't so uncomfortable walking, I would have been thrilled here. So I'll counter this as a cranky complaint of my circumstances- if you don't mind walking in the heat and you aren't 7 months pregnant, this would be a plus. The bell staff was nice to come get me in their golf carts during the heat of the day, but I felt weird calling them all the time to drive me around.

Now, the bad. The food is TERRIBLE! On-site restaurants, conference (rubber chicken dinner) food, even breakfast yogurt parfaits- you can't get a decent meal here. There are decent restaurants within walking distance, but see item above- it was already an 18-20 minute for me to the lobby, then another 10-15 minute walk to an off-site restaurant. Normally, fine. This trip- ugh! And if you aren't a walker, or can't take the heat- this could be an issue for you to consider.

You have to pay for Wi-Fi in your room, which is ridiculous, considering the price of the hotel stay + resort fee is not cheap. Wi-Fi is free in the lobby. But then, if you are in the conference center, you need your sponsoring organization to pay for your Wi-Fi access and provide you with a password- the Wi-Fi that you already paid for in your room will only work in your room! This is just strange and annoying in 2013!!

Overall, I've never had a 'bad' stay here. This hotel just has some weird quirks that I would consider if I were looking to stay here on my own dime and with my own vacation time.

Room Tip: Have a rental car or some way to get food elsewhere. Food here is awful! A casita would be a nice...