“Marginal experience”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We booked our first stay at the Hilton Squaw Peak for Spring Break using HHonors points. Upon arriving to our room, I knew we wouldn't be staying long. The "suites" are very small, very dark, and very outdated. We spent the first day at the pool, which is large and nice enough in a low budget sort of way. Rico's restaurant is also very low budget in their decor--basic furniture to withstand the thousands of kids that climb on it every day. There was a long line for breakfast, and instead of taking names and creating some order to the situation, the host and manager were almost randomly seating people--very strange.

If you're looking for a resort that is very basic in rooms and service offering, this would be the place for you. It reminds me of an old family resort from the early 80's that just hasn't been updated with current amenities. Rooms are dark, weather-stripping on the doors is worn off, towels are like tissue paper, and the "River Ranch" theme needs to be retired. Just a low budget kind of place all around. I will say we didn't experience poor service from anyone, it's just the property that's below par.

Btw, we stayed an additional 2 nights since we were traveling in the Phoenix area and wouldn't be at the resort for a few days. After that, we kindly requested a refund of our unused Hilton points. Interestingly, the desk person agreed with our assessment of the property and couldn't have been more accommodating when we said we were leaving. We then happily headed to the JW Marriott Desert Ridge--where we had stayed before and knew was an incredible property with incredible service. Our vacation began once we arrived there!

Room Tip: The casitas looked nice (from the outside). At least they had patios, rather than a dark and dirty...
1  Thank Judy M
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hello Judy M,
Thank you for your feedback. Your candid comments regarding the condition of our resort are appreciated. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations and the disappointment you experienced. Although we are one of the more long-standing, unique resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, we do continue to explore ways to keep us current and provide our guests a more positive experience. I'm glad to know our team was able to resolve the unused portion of points to your satisfaction.
Teri Agosta

Write a ReviewReviews (3,544)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place has not lost it's appeal for us and we really enjoyed our return trip. All restaurants were open each night (last year you had to keep an eye on the signs to know). The staff (Manny, Billy, concierge Eric, waitress Stacia) take the time to make your stay real pleasant. The suite is perfect for a couple with a little one (maybe two?). Have to say that we do this trip as an award stay so are opinion might be clouded by the fact that we are not paying $200 (or more?) per night. Hilton Honors members get the breakfast buffet for $7 each, a good deal.

Room Tip: I would imagine that a suite in the pool area could be noisy as the pool is open 'til 11pm. Both...
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The honest truth is this facility has major drawbacks: very limited on site dining, a motel like building layout, super weak wifi, and a inconvenient room layout including only one sink. Also with the resort full they could not accommodate everyone around the pool or water park at the same time.

The flip side is it is immaculately maintained, and the grounds are just beautiful.
I had some low points ( very slow meal service, parking lot views, incorrect charge on my bill) and the staff rose to the occasion every time.They won me over !

The one unredeemed part of the experience is Ricos restaurant.....RUN the other direction. Believe every bad review you've read.

We were there for spring break, so we learned after the first day not to go to the water park early, instead we slept in, hit Starbucks for our free breakfast, then went for a hike.Ask the bell staff and they will give you free bottles of chilled water when heading out the door. We then came back, took naps, and headed for the water park at 4 pm each day. plenty of space then ! The lazy river was fun and I appreciated they didn't have the stupid water features that spray you in the head during the ride. The slide was fairly slow for adults.

poolside food service had horrible nachos (processed ballpark cheese) and tasty quesadillas. Drinks ran 7-10 dollars and were plenty strong. service was prompt for the crowded conditions.

Rodeo drive was a well stocked clothing and gift store, we ate ice cream there each day, no reason to feel out of place in your pool clothes.

The hole in the wall has good BBQ, especially the brisket, sit out side and enjoy the pool view or the fire ring. There was a hoedown there one night, they had a fantastic band, games, face painting.........we waited 90 minutes to be seated to eat, but were well entertained during the time.

One great plus about the property is no need to carry cash, you can easily charge to your room anywhere on property.

Room Tip: ask for third floor or higher
1  Thank JudyfromBoise

Hello JudyfromBoise,
As a senior contributor on TripAdvisor, your assessment is valued by many travellers. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Your thorough feedback is both helpful and considerate. I'm happy to know our team was able to quickly resolve any issues you encountered; thank you for recognizing their efforts. We hope to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with our two children, 9 and 5. Our room in North Pointe seemed fine and the beds comfortable. We spent most of our time at the water park and pool. We enjoyed both, but wished the resort did something about chair saving. How rude! We used coyote camp at night and thought it was somewhat overpriced but accommodating. I am glad they had it available and my kids made the best of a so-so evening. If you want to use your Hilton Honors points here, I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. However, was very impressed with the facility and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We are Hilton Diamond members and travel extensively but are not travel snobs. We have two children ages 9 and 5. They loved the water park and we could not get them out of the pools and lazy river. We loved the water park also as there were always lounge chairs available and the pool wait staff was extremely friendly and very attentive. Silva, a waiter at the pool, was wonderful - he was friendly, attentive, and made our days at the pool incredible. You could tell that he really enjoyed his job. Actually, all of the staff was very friendly. Everyone you passed in the hall, from security people, to housekeepers, to groundskeepers - they all said "good morning" or "good afternoon" and always had a smile. The location is great and you can get anywhere you need to go with easy access to the highways. The on-site restaurants were great - again with wonderful and friendly staff. The food was quite good as well and very reasonably priced. We used the fitness center while there and found it was quite nice and had all the equipment we needed.We had a great stay and we are already planning our return trip!

1  Thank eatlocal

Hello eatlocal,
As a Diamond member, your loyalty to Hilton is valued. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with other travellers. Your comments are considerate and appreciated. We embrace the opinions of our TripAdvisor reviewers. I'm glad to know you were not deterred by what you read and allowed us the opportunity to provide you and your family a positive experience. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have an amazing stay! I enjoyed my hot stone massage at the spa--our first day-- great way to start the vacation. The lazy river was relaxing and the slide was great fun! Wonderful for children. Rooms were great with families-- it was a suite with sofa bed plus 2 queen beds. The only change-- food service needs upgrade --need more healthy choices plus all day room-service would be a plus.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

What you see may not be even close to what you get!

I booked a spring break vacation this past weekend for my daughter and myself. After reviewing their web site and looking at their room accommodations it looked fantastic, so I booked a room. They did inform me that they only had a single bed Suite, but I figured that would be fine for us because if you read about the rooms and look at the floor plans and photos you will come to the conclusion that these are very nice rooms. They list that all rooms come with separate bedrooms and living quarters, 2 TV's, couch, microwave and refrigerator. They even give you the floor plans and room layouts on the web site.

Except for the room they stuck us in. There was no floor plan or description of that room anywhere to be found? Our room...was a single room, barley larger than the bed. No couch, no refrigerator and no microwave! Literally the smallest Hotel or Motel room I have ever stayed in.......but still costing over $300 a night? We brought snacks for the microwave and beverages for the refrigerator........which we ended up throwing away...since there was no microwave or refrigerator. The room was a locked out bedroom to one of their Casita's. Two windows...one looking into someone's neighboring back yard. Very Dumpy back yard I might add with a dog that barked all night and the other window was in the bathroom. You had to keep that closed since it looked directly out onto the deck of the Casita so the family that had rented that was sitting directly outside of that window? I could hear the TV of the family renting the Casita. I could hear them talking, eating and snoring and essentially felt like I was intruding on their vacation by being in there? They had nice parking spots, we had no parking spot. The TV had wires hanging out the bottom and sides and looked like crap and as far as the room goes was probably one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in? Not dirty, somewhat smelly and very outdated and it was barely larger than the bed itself. One of us had to be on the bed for the other to even move past to get to the door or bathroom. I had to take stuff out of the closet and place it outside so that I could have a place to put our luggage? There was not enough floor space for a suitcase and not enough dresser or closet space for us to even unpack. I would have never rented or paid that much for that room had I know what I was getting into. I've paid $49 for a Super8 and had a far nicer and far larger room? Based on the cost and square footage this was most defiantly the most expensive "per square foot" room I've ever paid for?

As soon as we looked at the room I went directly back to the front desk and asked for another room. They told me they were booked. I asked them to call their other resort in town so we could possibly transfer to that property... without calling or lifting a finger, I was told that property was booked as well. We spent our first evening trying to find another resort and would have left immediately had we been able to find something else? Unfortunately, it was spring break and this being my first trip to Phoenix, I really had no way of knowing where else to look or go? I sent a couple of emails to the Resort regarding my displeasure and received absolutely NO reply at all?

I didn't have too many issue with the resort itself other than the fact that if you were not sitting on your lounge chair by the pool by 10AM at the VERY latest you were not going to get a chair or place to sit? People were waiting in line at 8AM when the pool opened, they would run in throw their towels and crap on a bunch of lounge chairs and then leave. Only to come back hours later to use the chairs? We only went to the Main pool the first day? At 10AM the second day...there was not one single spot open so we spent the following days at one of the smaller pools.

It's far nicer in the photos and in the off season when it's not so busy it might not be so bad as long as you rent the whole Casita or get one of the rooms they show you on the web site.

I would never go there again due to the fact that I feel I was deceived about what I was getting and paying for. For what I spent on the Room, Hotel and rental car...............you can do FAR better than this?

Room Tip: You don't want room 3265!!!!!!
3  Thank dhalseth

Hello Mr. Halseth,
The time you took to review our resort on TripAdvisor is greatly appeciated. Although I'm glad to know you didn't have too many issues with the resort overall, I am disappointed to know you were unhappy with the king bed studio guest room you booked. I understand your frustrations with the amount of space provided, and wish we were able to upgrade you and your daughter to a more suitable accommodation. It is custom for our team to make every effort to meet our guests needs so, please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me should your travels bring you to Phoenix. It is my hope you will consider allowing us another opportunity in the future to welcome you back.