“Never, never again”

Ranked #60 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Middle-of-Nowhere Oklahoma
“Never, never again”
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We booked this last minute and rather blindly. In retrospect Spring Training is not the bes time to look for "deals" in Phoenix, but we grossly overpaid for the quality of the property (even for a busy time) at about $200/night after all taxes and fees ($405 total for Friday and Saturday). The location is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere--right on the highway. It somewhat worked for us because we were all over the city as well as most of the surrounding suburbs. Getting anywhere nice for dinner was a minimum 20 minute drive (conservatively). Not to insult Holiday Inn, but that's more the level this property performed at.

The Highs: Staff was great (except for the Valet that never showed up to park the car, but garage parking is a 90 second stroll and probably easier) providing some GREAT restaurant recommendations--don't miss Marcellino's!!!! Balcony faced the mountains at sunset, but obstructed by highway lights. Room decor was about what was expected from a Sheraton.

The Lows: Our room faced the highway. Even with the THICK drapes closed it was nearly impossible to get to sleep due to the highway noise. Although EXACTLY what I've seen in other Sheraton properties, the colors in the bathroom seem a little more outdated. The tile around the tub was mid-1980's at best (an irritating pinkish-orange to match the marble of the sink). The worst part had to be the mold in the grout. Nice touch. . .

• Liked — Staff recommendations
  • Disliked — Poorly maintained for hotel recommendation and price
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
18 Thank NakedRhino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My sales team and I stayed here recently for a conference. We travel one to two weeks a month. This was probably the worst place we have stayed in the last five years.

The rooms are at the same level as a $69 per night hotel. The restaurant had a tiny menu and was very expensive. The location was awful, unless you need to be on the interstate in less than five seconds.

The worst part of the experience was the staff. They were friendly but useless. No one seemed to know anything about anything.

On the lighter side, despite the location, there was a van to shuttle where you needed to go.

There are so many great places to stay in Phoenix, this is not one of them.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — rooms were awful
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
15 Thank sjmacdee
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 25, 2007

The Sheraton Crescent was a fine hotel but there are some things you should be aware of before deciding to book there. The hotel is MUCH older than it appears on the website. If this is an issue for you then don't stay here. I should also note that my experience with "Club Level" perks in other hotels have been far better than at the Sheraton Crescent. The alcohol is not free (about $4.50 for a domestic beer) and the evening hour'dourves were nothing to get excited about (cheese cubes, veggies, chips and salsa, etc.). Unless you like being on "Club Level" for other reasons than the lounge I would not spend the extra money here. I would also like to note that I stayed in a Jr. Suite and requested a king size bed. It was not a king size bed, it was a queen that folded out of the wall, comfortable but not what I had in mind. Finally, I called concierge for a recommendation on where to eat in Downtown Phoenix. I was then transferred to someone else that informed me that he is not from Phoenix and was not familiar with Downtown. I asked if he could find someone that was and was told he would call me back. I never heard from him. In my past experiences that is what concierge is for, they even make reservations for you. Checking in was a breeze and the rooms were clean. I would recommend this hotel for a couple of nights stay if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel but not a luxury hotel. Again, the website can be a little deceiving when it comes to the appearance of the hotel. It wasn’t a disaster but disappointing when you get there and nothing seems to be the way it was presented to you. Hope this helps in making your decision on where to stay in Phoenix.

Stayed February 2007
18 Thank amc0323
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 18, 2006

So I picked this hotel because it was a good price and I like Starwood properties. I was very disappointed by my stay. They book a lot of parties and the music and pepole were constantly loud. The hotel staff was not friendly when we checked in or out, but did give us helpful information when we asked. Our bed was the best part of the trip very comfy. The room other then that was lacking. It had bad lighting, and for the first night NO hot water. I would not spend money here again.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — lack of service and no hot water
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for rooms away from party goers
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
17 Thank Katharine G
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My wife and I stayed here while visitng my elderly parents for Thanksgiving. On check-in, I asked about an upgrade as they had said they were pretty empty for the holiday. The room they gave us was larger, but it was more for business entertaining. It had an odd Murphy bed, the TV didn't face either a chair (there was no couch) or the bed, and it wasn't at all inviting. We went back to their standard room, which turned out to be just fine.

As usual, the hotel gift shop items were overpriced ($3 for a bottle of OJ) but that's the price of convenience. And altough the CyberCenter off the lobby says "Compliments of the Sheraton Crescent," the Internet services are not free as the word implies; they come with the usual charge, whether you're using your own laptop or their desktops.

On the very positive side, all staff members were courteous and helpful, one problem with a slow-running drain was quickly attended to, the hotel was close to I-17 and MetroCenter (big shopping mall) and generally well-kept. Next time we're in Phoenix, we'll definitely look into the Crescent again.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 21, 2006

I stayed here with a group meeting. The staff was very accommodating. The meeting areas were clean and well lit.

My room was quite nice and very comfortable.

The food at the business functions was very good.

Overall a pleasant experience.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — It's quite a ride from the airport, cab was $50. Take a shuttle.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
Arizona
Reviewed October 12, 2006

My husband and I had reserved a "2 bedroom suite" over a month in advance. Upon check-in, we were told they did not have this type of suite in the hotel facility. After a long period of argument with front desk, we finally find out that the suite reserved was not available and was being occupied. When questioning the hotel, we were told that a "Platinum Guest" decided to stay longer and they could not make them move from the room ..... ?????
Were then set up in a "make-shift" suite..... huh ? Okay, we are here so just accept it. Checked into the room to find air conditioner did not work properly and was very warm in one of the rooms. Maintenance could only say..."it will cool off soon"..okay.
Second night....Huge cocroach in night stand !! Not good :(
Moved the night stand out into the hallway and informed the front desk in the morning. Was told they would not put back into the room and remove. Nightstand (and bug) still in the hallway that evening. After second call, it was finally removed.
Would not stay or recommend this hotel .... ever!
Need some major clean up (stained carpets, patio's very dirty, bad smell in many parts of the hotel)
Side note.... Nice gym and awesome bartender (James!!!)

• Liked — James !!
  • Disliked — Poor Air Conditioner, Bad smell, dirty patio, stained carpets, etc.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't Check in !
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business