“Mystery Odor”

Sheraton Crescent Hotel
Ranked #68 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel. The room was fine, even though the upgrade was one of floor level rather than substance. The club floor lounge was also decent with a better mix than usual of breakfast foods. The only real negative was a mystery odor the was evident in the hallways and room. We walked another floor to see if it was a local issue, but the smell was there as well. The best description is that there was a faint odor of laundry dried to too high a temperature. One of the staff suggested it might relate to the heating system. Not so bad a problem to create a major issue but an annoyance nonetheless.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMLLosAngeles
Frank C, General Manager at Sheraton Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear, DMLLosAngeles
Your comment on the “mystery odor” is much appreciated. We’ll be sure to have our chief engineer look into the situation and sorry that was an annoyance to you. We are happy to see that the club level breakfast mix was good for you. Again, thank you for staying at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Crescent Hotel

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I can't even begin to describe how great the people are in this hotel! My staff and I worked with them for over seven weeks, scheduled over 40 meetings with over 500 people, used guest rooms dozens of times, and not one mistake was made!! In fact, they even reached out to me several times to confirm details that I had forgotten about.

Jamie and Tammi in particular went above and beyond so many times that I can't even count them all now. And on top of that, they were just so nice and friendly about everything! I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing any type of business space in Phoenix. It seems that there wasn't anything that they wouldn't help with, including asking me to call on their personal cell phones if I needed something after normal office hours. That kind of customer service is rare.

When I asked at the end of the project what I could do to show them how much I appreciated all their work, the only thing they asked was that I leave them a nice review here. So I have now written my first ever TripAdvisor review. Thanks guys!

Dear STef2211,
Thank you for your sharing your positive experience on your recent visit to the Sheraton Crescent Hotel. We appreciate hearing from you in the way that our staff engaged with you over the 40 meetings and 500 people you had at the Crescent. Both Jamie and Tammi are valued associates and truly care of the level of service they provide to our clients and guests. I’ll be sure to share your experience with them. Again, we thank for the kind words and look forward to more successful meetings with you and your organization.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was downgraded from a king bed room to a two double bed room when I checked in last night to this hotel. I had to complain and insist all the way to contacting the manager on duty to finally get a room with a king bed which is what was on my booking confirmation. I am a life time platinum member with SPG and usually they say we can have upgrades when rooms are available. In this case, this hotel may think the opposite is also true. What is disappointing to me is that they did not even mention it to me when I checked in as if it was normal. That was topped by a bunch of excuses at 1am with an clearly inexperienced staff, after a very long trip from Europe. I have been coming to this hotel regularly since 8 years now, and I was expecting a little bit of more consideration. And their Internet access is too slow. I don't pay because I am a platinum member, I wonder who accept to pay for such a lousy internet access. It takes ages for a page to appear in your browser.

Room Tip: Be careful, they may downgrade your room, without compensation nor even informing you about it.
3  Thank SwissTraveller21

Dear Touradj E,
Thank you for letting us know of your recent experience at the Crescent Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for your late experience after a long day of traveling to our destination. We also thank you for your patronage and staying at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel for the past 8 years. Our front desk staff has been trained to provide room upgrades to platinum SPG members but simply failed to communicate this to you at the check in process. We had provided a room upgrade for your stay that had two double beds while knowing you had requested a kind bed upon arrival. Your late night communication with our Manager on Duty was accommodated with the king bed, we apologize for you having to go to this extra step. On your next visit, we’ll be sure to accommodate your request. On the internet speed, we are currently in the process upgrading our internet speed and you should see a much better improvement on your next visit.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

"It's part of the Starwood chain" is the nicest thing I can write about this hotel. That and it was easy to get in/out of. Was only there one night. It's not terrible but it's dated. I particularly dislike hotels without feather pillows, one of the big signs you're in a subpar hotel. Hopefully, you'll only have to spend one night there.

2  Thank Houston3214

Dear, Houston3214
We appreciate your comments on your stay at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel. Each of our guest rooms do offer two feather and down pillows we are sorry if your guest room did not have the down pillows upon your arrival. I have passed on your comment to our Executive Housekeeper for follow up. Our property is in a design phase to renovate all guest rooms this summer and hope you’ll return to see the finished product. Thanks again for sharing.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Other than the friendly service I received upon arrival, there is not much I can say about this nondescript property in an equally nondescript Phoenix location. It's freeway-convenient but the surroundings do not offer much in the way of inviting restaurants or sightseeing. My request for a very quiet room was honored without my prompting the clerk to do so. The room itself was comfortable but seemed dated. The WiFi was almost non-existent - apparently other guests were having problems with it as well. This was a theme throughout my stay in various properties in New Mexico and Arizona - I'm not sure why chain hotels are having problems getting this right. The self-park garage was creepy and separate from the main structure of the hotel. Although the hotel promised valet service, I did not see anyone providing this service until it was time to depart the next day.

Other annoyances - my room rate indicated free WiFi (the WiFi that really didn't work) but my bill came with a WiFi charge which was reversed. Additionally my room rate indicated 500 StarPoints but I only received 214 points. After contacting Starwood customer service, the points situation will be rectified by the property. I am not sure whether to blame an IT issue or either of the clerks who checked me in or out but it seems like they should have been more thorough about ensuring that rate-wise I got what I was promised.

I know that I saved money by not staying downtown or in Scottsdale, but the savings just were not there after considering all of the above.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Chiquitita
Frank C, General Manager at Sheraton Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear, Chiquitita
Thank you for sharing your experience. We always appreciate hearing from our guests so that we can continually improve our services and product. We are located in Northwest Phoenix off the I17 corridor and yes very convenient to freeway access. The area does offer many restaurants available and we have a nice restaurant on site with excellent food quality. We are sorry if this information was not made available or mentioned to you by our staff. For sightseeing, like many other hotels or resorts, our staff has information to all sightseeing venues; again if this was not made available to you we apologize. We will follow up with our staff so that all guests are provided with this information. We are currently in a design phase to renovate all guest rooms beginning this summer in June. We have also completed upgrading wireless capability in all guest rooms and sorry for your experience. We certainly invite you back to see the new guest rooms and the wireless experience. Our parking garage is attached to the property located adjacent to our ballrooms. The garage itself is lighted throughout each floor and has security cameras. We are sorry if our valet service was not present or available and that our staff did not offer this to you. We do have other staff available if our valet service is not present. We are happy to hear the WiFi charged was reversed and apologize for not receiving the 500 Starpoints the first time around and you taking time from your schedule to contact Starwood. We’ll make sure that we address with our front desk staff. Again, thank you for taking time to share your experience and hope you’ll be back to see all the new and exciting changes.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was my second time to the property in the last year and I had excellent service AGAIN! I have to give a big THANK YOU to Jamie J., Josh B. and Chief Z. This great team went the extra mile to take care of me and I appreciate it so much. I have been to hundreds of hotels and I never receive this type of service let alone a repeat of this level of service! Keep up the great work and thanks again for going the extra mile!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear, J v
We appreciate your comments on your second visit to the Sheraton Crescent Hotel. It’s truly gratifying to hear such high notes on the service provided by our staff. I’ll be sure to share your comments to Jamie, Josh, and Chef. We are grateful to have them on our staff and I know they each take great pride in what they do.
General Manger

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Fantastic hotel for our needs while in town for spring training. The pool area was a real treat with comfy loungers, flowers everywhere, and orange trees! The hot tub can easily hold 15. The real surprise was the giant water slide, though. Separate from the pool, the water slide is water park caliber and an obvious huge hit for my kids. This hotel has been deemed their all time favorite because of the slide alone. Club level rooms are oversized, I believe. The balcony was also a treat. Starbucks in the lobby. Luxury without the cost. Is definitely the only place we will stay when in Phoenix again.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the club level.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear, forensiclisa
Thank you for your sharing your positive experience while staying at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel. Spring Training is a good time of the year as well as the weather. We are thrilled that you had such a good time and that our product and services meet your expectations. We look forward for a return visit and hope to see you very soon.
Thanks again,