“Amazing Service, perfect for a girls getaway!!”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #12 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing Service, perfect for a girls getaway!!”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

From the minute we arrived we were blown away by this beautiful property!
The property is absolutely gorgeous, and the staff is AMAZING!
Everyone was so attentive and the staff looked like they were having fun at all times, which only makes it that mch better for guests.

Specifically the service at the pool was amazing, coming from the east we did quite a bit of sun worshipping out there and Jose at the pool was so fantastic! He was always running to help someone and did it with such a great attitude.

We used the weekend as a girls getaway and truly loved enjoying the spa, the retaurant and pool area.
The spa was phenomenal, request a room with a view!! It was so relaxing and then after your treatment make sure there is time to enjoy the sanctuary, hot tub and steam room!

T. Cooks was fantastic, our waiter led us through th experience and helped us to select an amzing meal.
I have an allergy and opted out of dessert, since there was not much for me, to avoid my feeling left out he brought me something spcial from the kitchen which was thoughtful and generous.

I can not say enough about how wonderful this property was!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
California
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Palms in late February. We were in town to visit some relatives who live a few blocks up the street. We had stayed at the Biltmore previously, but thought that we would give the Royal Palms a try due to its location and glowing reviews.

We booked a Valencia Casita with fireplace. We were initially placed in the most remote room on the right hand side of the property, room 154. The room was a little dark as it was at the very end of the complex. The courtyard in front of the room was private, yet had no view (not the worst thing in the world). Our biggest problem the first night was that a roof rat (yes, they are common in Phoenix due to the ripe citrus at this time of the year) was happily gnawing on something in the ceiling/wall on and off from about 11:30 pm until 6:30 am. We notified management first thing in the morning, and were given a different casita about three doors down. This was a slightly smaller, corner room; much brighter and had a view of Camelback. We preferred this room much better than the first. No further roof rat issues after the move.

There was a fairly significant cold spell in Phoenix that week. Interestingly enough, there is a carbon monoxide vent above the floorboard in the rooms which is square space open to the outside. Needless to say, this let in a significant amount of cold air, so we covered it over. I understand that this is a safety issue due to the gas fireplace in the room, but it was essentially like having a window open until we figured out what was letting in the cold air.

The resort was quiet. The grounds are very well maintained and pretty. Service was very quick and friendly. We ordered room service for breakfast and dinner on a couple of days. The food was OK, not stellar. A little disappointing since T. Cooke's is their signature restaurant.

Overall, I would recommend it given the location, beautiful grounds, and solitude (minus the roof rats!). It is more of a couples resort. Would probably be boring for kids. We did not use the spa during our stay and did not eat at T. Cooke's, so cannot comment on them.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Scottsdale over the three day weekend in February. We chose this hotel based off the great reviews on tripadvisor. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff is wonderful! We have stayed in many top hotels with the four seasons being our favorite -- The Royal Palms Resort is just as good! I got a massage at the spa and it was wonderful! The spa is gorgeous and there are so many amenities it was hard to chose where to relax. I would definitely recommend staying here. There is a $28 a day "resort fee" but since we rented a car and were in and out of the hotel it was well worth the price as you do not have to tip the staff (although they deserved extra!)

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The Royal Palms is my new favorite place and probably the best well kept secret in Phoenix. I read all of the reviews on TripAdvisor when planning my anniversary getaway and can honestly affirm the positives. It is worth the money for rest and relaxation. When traveling from Sky Harbor Airport, you will want to get clear driving directions. We missed 2 turns, but once I finally broke down and had my wife ask for directions, we found it. Now that we have been there, it is easy to find on Camelback Road (but you will not find any signs along the way). Once on the property, we found ourselves in a different world. The reception staff welcomed my wife and me with a smile and accommodated us with an early check-in. We enjoyed an awesome Sunday Brunch at T. Cook’s (make reservations well in advance). Our Estate Room was a little dark for reading, even with all the lights on, but very comfortable and quiet which more than made up for it. The grounds are beautiful with orange and grapefruit trees and fountains and fireplaces and seating areas around almost every turn. What really differentiates Royal Palms is the intimacy of being in a smaller resort. Guest services were A+. Dinner at T. Cook’s was delicious (sit outside under the stars near the fireplace if you can). The Lounge was cozy. The Pool service was superb! Try the fish tacos – so good! Fruit and cold water was a nice touch in the fitness room. The hot tub was relaxing. The main pool was heated. The Alvadora spa rejuvenated my wife (try the “Tempting Trio”). Take a morning drive/walk around Camelback Mountain, which is a short distance away and the background setting at the Royal Palms. This place is a photographer’s paradise. Check out was a nice experience, with no surprises on the bill. This is not your kids’ kind of place. Take the entire family to one of the big resorts with multiple pools and structured programs if you’re into that type of experience. But for a special occasion for you and your spouse, you cannot go wrong in choosing the Royal Palms. It is first class. People are great. Prices are fair for the value. I highly recommend it and long to return again!

Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed February 22, 2011

If you are looking for an experience versus simple accomodation the Royal Plam Resort and Spa is an excellent escape from the ordinary. From the moment you arrive with attentive bell boy service to the moment you depart reluctantly you will feel as though you have had an extradordinary experience. My visit was a special weekend planned with my teenage daughter for our birthdays. The resort grounds is stunning, lots of palm trees, orange trees and vegetation that make you feel like you have escaped the city. Besides the pool, with cabanas, outdoor cafe, and lots of sitting areas in various spots in the garden like grounds the Spanish Colonial architecture transports you to another time. Our room was a Valencia Casita with antique looking wooden doors, wooden shutters and tiled bathroom. The 4 poster bed with curtains provided an added royal feel to the accomodation. Unfortunately for us it rained during our weekend so we never truly got to sit outside on our private deck area, or any of the poolside spots but we did turn on the electric fireplace and enjoy room service. The restaurant TJ Cooks is great - I ordered lemon filled french toast and I must say it felt decadent as it was like eating cake for breakfast. We did the girls weekend package so we had a spa treatment included and this was wonderful. Truly an escape filled with relaxation and serenity. The attention to detail in service and style is outstanding. Location was good for us as we did not drive in Phoenix so relied on cabs to shopping malls and the airport. Depending what else you plan on doing the resort is a great location to feel like you got away and got pampered. What comes with this extraordinary experience is a higher than norm price. For us it was a splurge so plan on a budget that includes taking advantage of at least one spa treatment, and a meal or two at the restaurant. If you don't care about what your room looks like, or the setting of your accomodation you can easily book a less expensive room, but if you want something worth remembering, want to creat a special memory and feel pampered and a real escape weekend then I higher recommend you plan to vist this resort for it was truly amazing!

• Stayed February 2011
Toowoomba
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Our family visited Phoenix only to go to Alice Coopers restaurant, we stayed a couple of nights as we didn't really know what Phoenix has to offer. if I lived in the USA, every year I would stay at Royal Palms Resort for at least 2 week. It is absolutely beautiful, Mona is absolutely thorough, helpful, lovely and efficient. The resort is stunning, clean, romantic, spacious, beautiful grounds, beautiful buildings, beautiful scenes. I can not make one fault at all, but anyone going to the USA or within USA should stay here at least once every year for at least a week. It was the most outstanding memory of our month trip in the USA. Do yourself a favour, make this the place to be.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Stayed for two nights on a stopover trip through Phoenix at the Royal Palms Hotel and Spa. A friend had told me about this place for years but I never did have a chance to get there. Now that I have I will be back and as much as I can. What a remarkably relaxing gem this hotel is. The villas or suites were spacious, clean, well appointed and had every thing a person could imagine. On site restaurant, T. Cooks, was one of the best we've ever encountered. Highly recommend both and can't wait to return

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!