“The best in Phoenix/Scottsdale”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Stayed for 9 days in July. I thought long and hard about where to stay, having been to Phoenix before and stayed in both The Four Seasons and The Phoencian, the Four Seasons being the better by a mile. So I was slightly apprehensive about my choice, but I can honestly say it was outstanding, espeically the service. Our room which we got upgraded to was a Montavista Spa Suite, really large with stunning views of The Camelback Mountain. It had a large bathroom in the middle of a living room and bedroom unusual but it worked. It was all finished to an excellent standard. As I read in other reviews the pool was small, it was, although at this time of year you do get away with it, I wouldn't want it to be to busy as I think it would struggle, the service however at the pool was the best I've experienced anywhere including Dubai luxury resorts. The hotel is also in a great location for both Scottsdale and Phoenix, which really is just one big place.
There's not much to choose between the Royal Palms or the Four Seasons but I would go for the Palms as the location is much more central. The only other place that rivals these resorts is Sanctuary on Camelback it is lovely but maybe a little to modern for my taste.The other resorts are just too large to be personal enough for me, as nice as they are. If you have booked the Royal Palms your in for a treat and im sure you will love the attention to detail where everybody goes the extra mile for you.

3  Thank pastol

Reviewed July 19, 2009

Didn't know what to expect and was very pleased when we got there. Friendly, attentive staff. Great room with a balcony overlooking beautiful fountains. All facilities good. Pool area was perfect with Rick and Jose constantly on hand with supplies of ice cold water (thanks guys). Restaurant (T.Cooks) I felt was overated. It had some great reviews but the food was plain and repetetive. (Keep your menu simple guys and in plain English please). Would definitely recommend the hotel.

2  Thank PolecatLondon
Reviewed July 13, 2009

The Royal Palms Resort & Spa was amazing! Its styled as a Spanish Casita and used to be the vacation home of a married couple in the 1930's. The history of the property is uniquely detailed as wall art. The service was exceptional. Housekeeping was meticulous and precise. For turndown service, our robes were laid at the edge of the bed, lights were dimmed and soft, instrumental Spanish played as we enter the room. The resort charges a $25/day "resort fee", which covers valet and bellman fees/tips.

The room was a nice size....king size bed, Jacuzzi, walk-in shower and separate toilet area. The pool area was tucked right in the center of the property with wait staff ready to take your order or provide you with nicely chilled water with lemon. The property also featured a fitness center with room key entry….three treadmills, two elliptical machines and dumbbells with a weight bench. We didn't get a chance to experience the spa treatments, as this wasn't the purpose of our trip. The price list indicated higher prices Fri-Sun.

The resort also features a fabulous restaurant called T. Cooks (named after the original owners). T. Cooks' service was enchanting and the food soared above all expectations. The "cherry on top" was the chef's dessert special.....caramel cheesecake crème brulee with guava puree. It was fantastic!

The resort was about 15 minutes away from Phoenix Int'l Airport and close to grocery stores and other restaurants. The Grand Canyon is about 3.5hrs away. The resort offers day trips for about $150/person...the trips leave the resort at about 6:30am, returns about 8:30pm and includes several stops at various sightseeing points along the way. We rented a car and decided to drive up ourselves...the views were amazing!

Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I were celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary and looking for a special place to stay for the week. We traveled to Phoenix from out of state not knowing what to expect, but hoping all of the rave reviews we read on Trip Advisor ahead of time were true. The property is breathtaking and the rooms are beautifully appointed! It is a wonderful and romantic place to spend a special occasion. There are fountains, fabulous flower gardens, and wonderful places to sit and enjoy the serenity of the place. On our first evening, we were surprised with a fabulous dessert assortment that was delivered to our room, in honor of our Anniversary compliments of the Staff! It was a wonderful and delicious surprise!
We were blown away by the friendliness of the staff from the moment we arrived until we reluctantly left this morning for the airport. The Valet Staff took such good care of us, explaining where things were on the property, giving directions and advise on places to visit, as well as handing us cold bottles of water each time we left the property. The Pool Staff is over the top - serving bottomless glasses of ice water and making sure we were comfortable anytime we were at the pool! A special thanks to Jose for his great customer service and friendly smiles! We have never been treated as wonderfully anywhere (and we travel often). Everyone went over and above to make our stay very special. We are already planning our next trip to Royal Palms Resort! If you are looking for a very special place to spend your vacation, where you will feel pampered and taken care of - Royal Palms Resort is for you!

Reviewed July 11, 2009

When we arrived, it was kind of odd that we couldn't just get the key and head to the room ourselves. We had to way for the bellman to come and take us to our room. When we got to our room it was a nice surprise we really enjoyed the look and feel of the room. As the night went on we decided to head out to the pool, but the pool was a little small for our taste, but the service at the pool was excellent.

We got back to our room to shower and get dressed for dinner, when we heard a noise, that made the room shutter, didn't think anything of it, but it felt like a mini earthquake. When we got back from dinner the noise happened again, and for about every hour for the rest of night. Couldn't sleep and barely got any rest that night.

The next night we had gone to the bar to get some hot tea when I told the bartender about the night before, he said he would hook us up with another room, that would be better than the one we were staying in. But when we got to our new room it wasn't better at all. It was a smaller and had a hotel room feel to it, where as the other room was a casita.

I am not saying the hotel is bad, we just happen to have that kind of experience.

6  Thank Deakins
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Prior to my stay, I had eaten at the resort's restaurant, T. Cook's, on many occasions when in Phoenix, but I had never spend the night in one of its many types of accomodations. The prices seemed steep and I preferred the more discreet location and ambiance of its "sister" resort, the under-renovation Hermosa. However, I have rarely stayed in an accomodation anywhere in the United States, or elsewhere, that had the high quality of service at every level than the Royal Palms. From tthe minute I arrived by taxi from the airport, windblown and sand blasted after several days in chilly Flagstaff, when I was prfomptly and cordially met by the valets and escorted to the front desk, I felt special. In the cool, classy, intimate front office, I was quickly checked in, my advance request for newspapers had already been taken care of, my request for an early check in was accomodated, and my bags were promptly delivered to my Designer casita, which was atucked behind a wonderfully soft but not too sweet smeloling orange tree and trellises of fuscias. A smal table and chairs, at which I ate the delicious breakfasts delivered to my room, daily; read my papers; and stared up at the black sky and clear stars, in the evening. It was not fronting Camelback drive and the neighbors on the other side of the wall were accoodating,k so it was extremely quiet. I also stayed in a Valencia room which was similarly quiet ad a bit larger. The bathrooms are large and the beds are very comfortable. The meals are delicious, and room service is prompt and done with a lot of class. The grounds are simply gorgeous. FLowers, trees, green grass. Lots of places to just sit and look at the stars, fountains, read, or close your eyes. It is quiet, romantic, adn utterly peaceful. The spa, which has been recently renovated, is unique. Many of the treatments are done outdoors, in total privacy. There are outdoor jacuzzis set in stone and steam baths. My spa treatments were wonderful and the technicians were very professional.
There is a large unheated swimming pool and an adjacent heated spa, and that was my only real source of unhappiness. SMoking is allowed at the pool, and it was annoying and fairly constant. While a couple of cigar smokers were required to do their puffing across the pool in cabanas, the smoke did waft its way across. THe bar/dining area at the pool can get very noisy as the sound carries, and much of the talking is by the pool attendants/ waiters. They were generally very good about constantly providing free iced water to guests and fairlyl regularly making rounds to see if anyone wanted food or drinks but sometimes they would just disappear for long stretches, or carry on long, and loud, conversations with certain guests. Another problem was allowing very young children in the jacuzzi. They were loud, and also used it as a swimming pool. The most annoying occurrence at the pool, which was constant, was the use of cell pjhones. They should be banned. For a place that is otherwise offering total rest and relaxation, it is simply not possible at the pool, with phones constantly going off and people of all nationalities shouting to whomever was on the other end.
The restaurant is also loud when it is full. The acoustics are bad, and woe to you if you are seated next to a table of four or more, especially if they are heavy drinkers, and, particularly if they are a group of businessmen, and that was a frequent occurrence. Therewere three of us, and we practically had to shout to hear each other. I recommend you eat outdoors on one of the patios, which are heated on chilly desert evenings.
Back to the valets, they were very quick to call cabs or limos, suggest alternate modes of transportation, including even, when possible, driving me to a destination themselves. They quickly and professionally greet dinner or other guests, including mine, and park and retrieve cars better than I've ever experienced. They are polite, humerous, well dressed, and knowledgeable about the area. In short, they make a great foirst and last impression.
The business center is open twenty four hours a day, which is very convenient for those wh are working (or at least communicating) in different time zones. There is a small fitness center as well.
The Royal Palms is now be my "go to" place in Arizona, if not anywhere in the US, for a relaxing vacation destination that also has many activites nearby if rest and relaxation isn't enough, such as hiking, golf, art museums, botanical gardens, spring training baseball games , and, downtown, professional sporting and cultural venues. High quality shopping and gourmet restaurants are also within a few minutes' drive.
If you want to feel very special and be treated in a classy yet low key manner by professionals at their bvest, go to the Royal Palms. I've dreamed of going back for the past several months, and I just made a reservation for a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Frqtrvlr09
Reviewed June 28, 2009

The experience was unforgettable. From the beautiful property both interior & exteriors to the excellent service & food, we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple