“Used to be my favorite...”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson
“Used to be my favorite...”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This gem of the desert has lost its luster. This is the sixth summer in a row my boyfriend and I have spent a long weekend at the Royal Palms, and this year the entire weekend certain things just seemed "off". It started with the check-in process, the desk had mixed up our names so our reservation could not be found, a wedding party was trying to check in behind us, and anyone that has been to this resort knows the reception area is not very large, so it became quite crowded very quickly. It seemed things went downhill from there, we just did not have the same feeling from the resort as we have every year in the past. They have started charging a parking fee on top of the resort fee, the customer service is not as attentive as it once was. I have a feeling it has been taken over by a new management company who seems to be more about profit than customer service. This makes me very sad, as coming here is always something we look forward to every summer. The pool was not the pristine shimmering pool of the past, and the grounds themselves were not as well taken care of either. The twice-daily housekeeping did not happen. I hope the management decides to go back to the Royal Palms of the past otherwise this may be my last visit, unfortunately.

4 Thank AJ408
sescobedo, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
We are very sorry to read about your recent visit to the property and would love the opportunity to speak with you in more detail. Please feel free to contact our Manager on Duty if you would like to discuss further. We are committed to turning your experience around so that you can continue to enjoy Royal Palms for many years to come.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Stafford Springs, Connecticut
Reviewed June 25, 2014

What a beautiful little oasis! We loved the tasty mojitos and lunch by the pool! The pool staff were very friendly and attentive, constantly refilling water and providing more delicious drinks. The room was very comfortable, but would have loved to still have the option of using the fireplace at night, for the ambiance it provides. Beautiful grounds and gardens enhance the beautiful setting. Beautiful view of Camelback Mountain. The lemon ricotta pancakes were delicious!

2 Thank BM8-11-1979
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are pleased that you enjoyed the resort, the service and food in T.Cook's! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the states!
Reviewed June 25, 2014

If I had the money I would live at this resort year round. It was quiet, romantic, and peaceful.The service is impeccable. I have never felt so welcomed. Everyone from the bell staff to the pool staff was on their "A" game.

1 Thank Mary M
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Recently I had the opportunity to attend a conference at this property and enjoyed every minute of it, in every way! From the grounds, to the staff, to the historic ambiance and architecture, it was truly delightful experience. If your travels take you to Phoenix, I highly recommend a stay here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank IrishOne93
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This resort is perhaps one of the most beautiful,unique, and enchanting places my wife and I have ever stayed. It was our 31st anniversary and they treated us like royalty. From the warm welcome when we arrived to the total overall experience of exquisite dining, fabulous room, warm staff, and breathtaking gardens and grounds, this was an experience that will not be forgotten.

1 Thank Scot L
Thank you for your glowing review! We also think Royal Palms is "Heaven on Earth" and truly appreciate your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again next year for your 32nd wedding anniversary!
Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I only got to spend 1 night in this hotel, but I wish it was longer. The service is top notch here, from the valet, to the waiters, to the pool attendant. The grounds are beautiful. I spend an hour just walking around taking photos and exploring all the little nooks and beautiful landscaping. I enjoyed lemon ricotta pancakes which the waiter told me was the chef's grandmother's recipe and I believe it. It was a short stay but a relaxing and happy one.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen H
Riverside, California
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Overall, the Royal Palms Resort and Spa is a nice place to visit; however, there are a couple of things the establishment should look into. First, pay attention to the showers. When I opened the shower door, you can see the mold on the tile. When I stepped into the shower, there was mold in the corners. Also, the place was not built very well as when I put the soap and the shampoo in the box/hole in the wall to place them down, the soap/shampoo would constantly fall out because the box/hole was not leveled appropriately when it was built. That was annoying. Second, be careful when stepping around the large fountain in the courtyard. The floor is not level as I twisted my ankle in one of the many holes in the ground, as well as my colleague! When I twisted my ankle, I almost fell into the fountain. It's actually very dangerous. I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed sooner by other guests because it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Other than all that, it's an okay establishment that is nice for Phoenix. I would stay there again, but I would request the showers be cleaned before I use it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank cassiopiea
Thank you for your review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and are very sorry to hear about your shower and that you hurt your ankle. We have already had our maintenance department replace some of the tile in the courtyard to avoid this for the future. Please feel free to contact the Manager on Duty when planning your next trip and we will be happy to assist with the details of your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!