“Steaming hot but absolutely beautiful!”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #12 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 21, 2008

If you can't stand the heat, do not stay in Phoenix in July. If you can, or if you're there for any other reason, stay at the Royal Palms! This resort is small and romantic and the landscape is gorgeous; even in the heat of the summer, the grounds were lush and full. I was there with my husband, my parents, and my sister on a family vacation, but the resort was predominantly couples. The few families that came to the intimate pool left quickly when they saw that the atmosphere was quiet and not conducive to loud children. The service was absolutely unbelievable at every turn (Rick at the pool takes service to another level...) and, in the one case it wasn't (the spa did not have our appointments in its system), the extremely apologetic staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. The Royal Palms was such a breath of fresh air and a completely unexpected respite I would visit again in a second.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Reading some of the negative comments about the Royal Palms blows my mind. It was, by far, the best place I have ever stayed at, and I travel quite a bit. The grounds are dreamlike, the rooms are beautiful and unique (not like your typical chain hotels) and the service is incredibly good.

The restaurant, T. Cook's, was very good as well. The service was excellent and as foodies and wine lovers, we were pleased to see that the waiter knew his stuff. The valets were very, very helpful and pleasant (especially a young guy named Brandon!). Our first trip to Phoenix was in 110 degree heat, but we loved it all the same, in fact we are hoping to return at christmas. If that doesn't work out we will go back another time. Everyone should experience luxury like that at least once in their lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Spent two nights here in June. Having read the rave reviews we were somewhat disappointed. First impressions were certainly not good; the reception staff did not exactly fall over themselves to be helpful and the decor seemed a little faded. The pool area was very average and some new soft furnishing was clearly needed .
Felt better when we had settled in- the room was large and comforatble and my wife loved the bath. Enjoyed an excellent meal in the restaurant though again the decoration was a little old fashoined.
Highlight of stay was sitting in a courtyard with a bottle of wine under the stars. Liked the feel of the place in the evening with lots of clever lighting and quiet acoustic guitar.
Overall it was ok. Think they will need to up their game if they want to maintain their prices. The spanish colonial theme is great but clearly needs a little refurbishment

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank zebedee70
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Royal Palms Resort over Father's Day weekend and left with mixed emotions.

We booked a standard room, and while it was clean and nicely appointed, it was quite small. The bath tub was ridiculous! An older person would have found it unuseable. We almost needed a step stool to get into it.

We found the concierge to be helpful enough, but the front desk attendant seemed to have a forced smile and never mailed our postcards (after offering to do so).

We had a delicious dinner at T. Cook's. Our table was disappointing, though. It was right next to the kitchen, even though we had made the reservation months in advance and were obviously hotel guests. On a brighter note, our food server could not have been more attentive and gracious.

The grounds of the Royal Palms are pretty, and the valet attendants were very speedy and pleasant. However, we have stayed at many other four and five star resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and would probably not return to Royal Palms. We have found much better service, value, and accomodations at the Sanctuary and the Phoenician.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank birthdaygirl925
Reviewed June 22, 2008

OMG!!! The Royal Palms is now our favorite place to stay in greater Phoenix. I treated my husband to a weekend there for his birthday in May, and was not really sure what to expect. We had previously stayed at the Biltmore, which was always delightful, but I thought we should explore something new. Lucky for us, our friends recommended this resort and it turned out to be one of those "where have you been all my life?" experiences. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was PERFECT. We can't wait for a reason to get back up there, unbearable Phoenix heat and all (we live in Tucson and everyone knows it is always at least 10 degrees hotter in Phoenix than Tucson and even when it's over 100, it MATTERS).

**Bonus Tip: for a lovely, intimate, absolutely five star meal, go to Christopher's at the Biltmore Plaza. It's delicious!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 18, 2008

This was my third stay at the Royal Palms and the fact that I keep returning despite there being so many great places to stay in Phoenix and Scottsdale should tell you something. I love the Royal Palms. The whole property is beautiful, the resort is small enough to feel intimate, and the service is always amazing.

I like the Montevista Terrace rooms, which have a patio or balcony overlooking a central courtyard with a decorative pool and pretty sitting areas set around firepits. The rooms are a decent size and beautifully decorated with particularly nice bathrooms which have deep oval soaking tubs and separate shower cubicles. There is even a 'window (no glass, just an opening with shutters to close if you want privacy) cut into the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom which is a nice touch. The Estate rooms are basically the same, and in the same building, but don't have a patio or balcony and lack the view.

The only downside is the smallish pool area. The pool is beautiful, the sunloungers very comfortable and the service great, but the pool area and the pool itself are quite small and so both can feel crowded and noisy if the hotel is busy. Luckily it's not a very child-friendly hotel so it tends to be groups of adults only, but even then it can get a bit frenetic and noisy at the pool which you might find annoying if you're looking for peace and quiet. Nevertheless, it's hard to find fault with anything and I've had 3 very enjoyable visits (March 07, Dec 07 and Apr08).

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UKLizzie
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Just Fantasitc. I was looking for a place to stay by myself and I had read that this was a great place for couples. I had a wonderful time and everyone there treated me like royality. From the moment you walk in, you a taken to another place. I didn't feel like I was in Arizona, more like the meditterean. The staff and spa were top notch. Take advantage of the yoga and culinary classes which are included in you resort fees. Next time I might come back with my husband. I just loved it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#22 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!