“Wowzers!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fountain Valley, California
“Wowzers!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Pros:
-The grounds are exquisite. This is not a big place, but the walkways and landscaping make it feel very spacious. The pool is small-ish, but beautiful.
-The service was superb. Every employee was extremely friendly and helpful. (I really liked the pesto served at the restaurant. The server not only brought me some to take with me, he wrote out the recipe for me. Who does that?) They actually explained the reason for the resort fee. What a concept! The fee is used for tips, internet, parking, etc.
-We stayed in a newly renovated room (bungalow) that was spacious, and tastefully decorated. The bed and linens were great. Housekeeping was done 2 times per day.
-The cost was reasonable. Our total was right around $700 total for 3 nights. They also gave us $50 in credits for the restaurant and spa.
-The workout room(s) were small, but adequate. Mostly cardio machines (state of the art) and some free weights.

Cons:
The mosquitos came out late in the day. Bring insect repellant if you're going to be outside.

Bottom line: I can't wait to go back. This place is comfortable, beautiful, and totally accommodating. The best part? The resort is only a couple of miles from Nordstrom's "Last Chance" Store. Worth the trip to Phoenix!

Room Tip: Bring insect repellant if you're going to be by the pool late in the day.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
I apologize for your displeasure regarding the mosquito issue during your stay with us, unfortunately during this particular time of year they seem to be in all areas of the valley. However, this is a particular detail we have been working on resolving. It is wonderful you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and can’t wait for your return visit to our landmark property, as we too look forward to your return visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful. Rooms are small but very nicely done. It's all about a huge comfy bed. Our Tub is more of a foot bath but there is a nice large shower area. No view at all. We are on the designer Casitas n Villas. Mey opened restaurant is very good and very expensive.

• Stayed September 2013
I regret the Designer Casita you had recently stayed in was not entirely what you were looking for. Upon your return visit I might recommend a Spa Terrace, as these suites have a large bathtub and a steam shower all with a view of Camelback Mountain. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent trip to the Royal Palms.
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was an amazing resort that went above and beyond what we expected. I was so greatful for the help I recieved from the hotel before I even arrived. I was inquiring about some things to do in the area, and they arranged the trips for me, gave me great examples of things to do, directed me in the right area, etc. The room was amazing, the decor was amazing, the view of the mountains was amazing. We didnt utilize all the amenities of the hotel, because we were not there for the most part, but it was a great experience for our first time getting away. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a romantic getaway in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s my absolute pleasure to hear how our staff was able to assist you prior to your arrival to the property! It’s even more thrilling to know you chose the Royal Palms as your backdrop to your 10th wedding anniversary celebration! I hope we are able to celebrate the 11th with you as well.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was eclectic, charming and classy. It really gave you the vibe that you were in Phoenix's hay day when it was a safe, sprawling city with country clubs, bridge games and kids swimming in the canals. The new Phoenix doesn't feel like the old Phoenix but this lovely hotel does. It's amazing. When you walk in, it feels like you are walking into another time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Upon entering the hotel, we were greeted by valet that attended to us quickly and directed us to the reception area. We checked in smoothly and our bags were brought up to our room. Our room was great and had a big bathtub, one huge king size bed, and a separate shower. It also included a mini bar and a patio on the balcony.

I enjoyed going to the spa and getting massages. The entire hotel area felt like a paradise. It was really easy to get lost but felt very nice and secluded. The hotel included a pool and Jacuzzi area. If you don't like public Jacuzzis and wanted to be alone, you can use the personal Jacuzzi at the spa while you are staying. There is also a fitness center which was very clean with very nice treadmills and ellipticals.

The staff was very friendly and I didn't meet one rude person during our stay. The cleaning staff is very attentive and will clean your room and also turn down your bed at night so that it's ready for bed. If you don't want the cleaning crew in your room at night, you can put up your privacy tag on your door. I felt like the hotel was more for adults than for children.

There is a restaurant that just opened this week at the Royal Palms. The food is different, but is okay. It will only get better with time as they have just opened this amenity. We did not have dinner here as the menu was not to our liking, but there are many restaurants around the area that can be attended to.

I have nothing bad to say about our hotel stay or service. Everything was great. I would recommend this hotel to someone looking to having a relaxing stay and looking to spoil themselves with a little something extra.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lena714
Greg M, General Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I’m pleased to read how you thoroughly enjoyed yourself and felt spoiled with us here at the Royal Palms. It’s an absolute pleasure to know you were able to relax and enjoy yourself throughout the entire property. Thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Royal Palms clearly earned the namesake Royal as well as their number 1 position in TripAdvisor. I stayed for 3 nights and loved it! The room was spacious. The shower had a regular shower head and a hand held option. The bed was comfortable. The resort layout was unique and invites you to explore. Most importantly the service is truly 5 star. Check in was friendly and informative. My room wasn't ready, but they promptly called me as soon as it was available. The bartenders were spectacular. They were engaging and clearly proud of the renovated bar area. A server in the bar area, I believe Christina was her name, was amazing. She knew when to engage service and when to give my party space. She also made great food suggestions. The valet and checkout were also above expectations. This is my new AZ resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
It’s thrilling to hear you enjoyed yourself not only in our newest outlet, The Mix Up Bar, but also throughout the entire property! I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and kind words about the Royal Palms.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was in bad need of a relaxing solo vacation. I found Royal Palms on Expedia and one look at the pictures and I was hooked. I booked right away. The grounds are beautiful and you couldn't ask for a better setting. The staff is what really makes this place special. Every single staff member that I had an encounter with was extremely friendly and engaging. I felt very comfortable. I felt that I could not have met nicer and more helpful people. The room was beautiful and the terrace overlooking the mountains was an added bonus. The turn down service was also fantastic. I felt so spoiled. I slept well and enjoyed being in the room. The food was decent (see below), but the drinks were excellent and the staff at the pool was ready to refill your water and take an order at a moments notice. The bartender at Cervantes was also attentive and friendly. Being there by myself, this was important. I opted for room service breakfast and glad I did. It wasn't that much more expensive and I was able to eat on my terrace. I loved the salt water pool. It was the perfect temperature. It can get a little crowded and then it becomes hard to get a seat under the umbrella, if its 110 degrees out, as it was when I was there, but the staff is accommodating and will try and help you find a place. Bring bug spray. It rained at night and the mosquitos were in full force. I'm still a little itchy.

The spa deserves its own paragraph. Upon entering I felt relaxed. Not only is it beautiful, but the people at the front desk make you feel very welcome. The spa was not that big and it felt as though they limit the amount of people that are there are one time, which I really enjoy. I got a 80 minute hot stone massage with David. I HIGHLY recommend. It was the best massage I have ever had. The experience was so good that I went back the next day and decided to get my hair cut/colored. Again, I was not disappointed. If you stay in the hotel, you have access to the steamroom and whirlpool regardless if you get a service. I used those amenities both days and it was a nice way to relax if the pool got too crowded.

There were two reasons that I did not give the hotel five stars. Though the spa really deserves 5+++++. One was the resort fee. I found a nightly fee of $30.00 a little steep for gratuities for the bellhops, maid service and turn down service. I am more than happy to tip for the great service they provided, but $90.00 for three nights seemed excessive. The other not so great thing was the food selection. I came for the purpose of just relaxing, so I didn't rent a car and go into the city for dinner. The main restaurant was closed, so they had a small bistro open for dinner. The problem was that the menu for the pool side cafe and the bistro were the same. Didn't leave many options. I'm sure this would have been different if the restaurant was open.

Overall, I would definitely look into staying here again, but I may check out other options if I decide to return to the area. However, the spa is a must!!

Room Tip: I met a woman who was on the bottom floor and said that her room was noisy. I would opt for a secon...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hollie-Go-Litely
It’s wonderful to hear you felt so comfortable with the entire staff at the Royal Palms, as we strive to make this a true home away from home. I will make sure to let David, at the Alvadora Spa, know how much you truly enjoyed your treatment. We thank you for your thoughts and hope to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#20 of 75 in Scottsdale
Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!