“Slice of Heaven”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I took a spring break trip to the Royal Palms in March. This was not our first stay and in fact we try to go at least once a year. There is an ambiance about the Royal Palms that projects relaxation and romance. As usual, we had a fantastic time and our every expectation was met or exceeded. The staff, from the gardener to the valet to the front desk, are very well trained and the friendliest people I have been around at any resort. They truly do try to please and satisfy your every need. My wife went to Alvarado spa for a massage and relaxation time one day and had the best massage she has ever had. I took that time to run the neighbor trails that surround the resort. My favorite is running the canal south of Camelback. We always try to get a casita that backs onto or has a view of Camelback Mountain. We spent our mornings reading and drinking coffee gazing at the mountain. Afternoons were spent at he pool where the pool staff is the best I have ever meet. The pool is small but just right for cooling off. We dined at T Cooks for two nights and it was wonderful. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and the smell from the orange grove and flowers permeates the entire resort. There are numerous fireplaces and courtyards on the resort which are the perfect place to sit and talk. While it is expensive the Royal Palms is well worth the cost.

Room Tip: Get a room with a porch and a view of Camelback mountain. The casitas at the back of the resort are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TexasTea2012
Justin L, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

We truly love hearing these stories and are very happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your recent experience at Royal Palms! All of us - the entire Royal Palms family - strive to ensure each and every guest feels warmly welcomed, the second they arrive. And, that their expectations are not simply met, but exceeded. We look forward to having you as our guest again someday very, very soon!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The grounds make this historic hotel special. Staff was nice, especially Evan who cheerfully helped us move to another room with an outside space. The whole environment was very peaceful. Pool is lovely, had a nice spa experience. Resort has different room and casita options and you'll enjoy this if you appreciate a unique quality in a hotel, as opposed to the predictability of chains.

Room Tip: Be sure to let staff know if you would like an outside space with your room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate the kind feedback. We will definitely relay everything to Evan as well, and look forward to hopefully having you as our guest again in the very near future. Thank you!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was my second time staying at the resort. I stayed here once with my Mom and couldn't wait to come back with my husband. I would say this is definitely a couples resort. Very romantic, lush gardens with amazing private areas to relax, great food, and impeccable service! I do feel that it would be a different experience all together with kids though. Our friend brought their teenage daughter and she enjoyed it, but if I had brought my 4 and 9 years olds I would have felt like they were disruptive to others and possibly bored. With only one small pool that I'm sure would have been the only fun spot for the kids the other guest would have probably been annoyed. This is a quiet and relaxing resort that is definitely an adult destination. If you do stay here T.Cook's restaurant is a must! Pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brandi V

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very happy to hear your experience was once again memorable. We all look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had another wonderful week at the Royal Palms. It is our favorite couples destination on the planet. Impecable service, lush gardens, stunning scenery and plush accommodations make this a must-visit destination. I would not advise bringing kids here. They will no doubt want to have all the fun they deserve on vacation, and making lots of noise and commotion in the pool. The pool has a very subdued atmosphere, and when people with kids were there, the parents had to spend much of their time trying to keep them somewhat quieter than the kids wanted to be. There are better places to take your children.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Palms for your couple's getaway! We value your loyalty and taking a moment to share your thoughts with us. Until we see you again!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stay in this georgeous resort and you will not be disappointed. The ambience is spectacular with the intimate courtyards with fountains and fire pits throughout the beautiful landscaping. The mountains serve as a stunning backdrop, which we enjoyed from the second floor patio of one of the Montavista Rooms. The staff here is outstanding. Professional but extremely friendly. There is one point I'd like to make. Please keep in mind that this is a resort and spa. To me this suggests a calm and peaceful atmosphere. So if you have children who enjoy a more exuberant pool atmosphere you may prefer to stay at a more family oriented place or a resort with several pools out of respect to fellow guests so that they can enjoy the optimal resort and spa experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Love hearing this! Thank you so much for your review and choosing to stay with us - hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5-night stay. Unfortunately our house was broken into while we were gone so that did not help relaxing...but that is another story. My wife was wanting to get some sun and relax as much as possible during our trip. There is one pool and it is relatively small. We have children and left ours at home with grandparents. There were families there with children and children are typically not quiet after all they are children. It is difficult to take a nap or relax with screaming children...so, if your vacation is centered around rest and relaxation at the pool you are taking a small gamble going here.

The facilities at the spa I would say are average... The treatments I thought were very good. I was hoping for more elaborate facilities. It is NOT Mi Amo resort in Sedona.

Very pleased with food at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The pool menu was a little boring for me.

Room Tip: There is no way to separate adults and children at pool...there is only one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

We are very sorry to hear about your house! Thank you so much for the honest feedback and are glad to hear you were able to get in some relaxation during this time. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went with the family for a long weekend- having read the reviews, I thought this was better- don't get me wrong, the property itself is beautiful, it looks like a Spanish Hacienda with stunning palm trees, beautiful lighting and wonderful gardens...I don't look at hotels by the cost, I look at them by the value- pay for what you are getting, and you get much more at the FS...first the good
1. Room size: really great, loved the huge bathrooms, and the bed is very comfortable.
2. Size: It is small but yet spread out in a way that you don't feel crowded.
3. Location: Right at Camelback- for those of you not familiar with the PHX-Scottsdale area, this is right in the thick of town, near our favorite restaurant, Chelsea's Kitchen and the beautiful Scottsdale mall.
4. Valet parkers: Never missed a beat- really quick, upbeat and wonderful attitude.

The areas of opportunity
1. Resort fee: ughh- its not the $30USD- its the fact that you are telling me that for $30 I can get the "amenities"...really? So will the $650 per night tab only get me a cot? I don't like people including my tips- I like to tip for outstanding service- directly
2. The pool: It was kind of small- Went a couple of times and could never get a chair- they were either occupied or had a towel for people holding a chair. It is one of those weird oval pools in which all of the lounge chairs go around it- so if you want to chill in the pool, you will be watched.
3. The service: We had spotty service during one of our meals- We left after almost an hour of waiting for our meal- a lesson in the service industry: nothing says service recovery like saying, hey we screwed up sorry- just don't blame me for ordering french toast that takes a long time---huh? really?
4. Room location: I did not splurge for the casita but my room was next to the ice room- come on people even Motel 6 has the ice machines separate from the rooms- annoying to hear people coming for ice...

Overall, it is a nice property but it is not on the FS tier- will probably try the Phoenician or go back to FS next time...

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the ice machines and not facing Camelback Rd
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MCastle83

This is valuable, thoughtful feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and will absolutely relay this with our entire team - there's always room for improvement. Hopefully you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a memorable experience that exceeds your expectations someday again soon. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!