Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
$100
$278
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
1,751 results
All reviewscamelback mountaincooks restaurantvalencia casitadesigner casitapool staffromantic getawaygas fireplaceprivate patiovalet staffsteam roomgrounds are gorgeousturn down servicesoaking tubice waterphoenix scottsdale areapool areafitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The first experience most guests will have is being welcomed by the guys who do the Valet Parking, and not only will you get a warm welcome, but you are also likely to receive excellent ongoing service, advice and general conversation from them throughout your stay.

We experienced a bit of an initial hiccough at Reception as there was nobody there when we arrived, but after about 3 or 4 minutes, someone appeared from the back office and was welcoming and efficient...... but no apology for the wait!

The room, (Valencia Casita) was spotlessly clean with a gas fireplace, which was actually much more than a decorative feature as it was used each day to help heat the room which was never warm otherwise.
A/c was set at 22c but this did not actually heat the room.
To someone who is used to visiting PHX in the summer, it seemed a bit strange to have to heat the room, but when we visited it was mid to high 50's during the day, and not much above freezing at night.
The room had a table and two chairs plus one other more comfortable chair with a footstool....not sure how you could do it space wise, but would have been nice to have had something comfy which two people could sit on, as if someone was using the chair/footstool it left only the bed, or a 'dining' chair for the other......was not a big deal to us as we did not spend much time in our room, but I believe it is a valid comment.
Although it had windows on two sides, our room was permanently dark, largely due to it being surrounded by high trees..... this also made the seating area outside unusable as the table and chairs here did not see the sun at any point during the day....... probably a great spot in the summer to escape 100+, but useless when outside in the shade was 60-.
We arrived in the dark so did not realise any of this when we first got to the room, and I have no doubt that had we asked to change rooms the hotel would have obliged if possible, so my comments above re the room are more of an observation rather than a criticism!

We had breakfast most mornings in T Cooks, hot, eggs benedict or mushroom and eggs, or the cold, fruit plate and bagels etc. and as the weather warmed during the week we were able to sit on the back patio (with heaters) at T Cooks (with a view of Camelback) for dinner. Whether at breakfast or at dinner, the food and service were always very good.

The grounds are immaculate and the pool area was much enjoyed, on very comfortable recliners once the temperature had got back to its more normal 70+
The staff at the pool cafe/bar could not have been more helpful in terms of service for food and drink, and with their regular visits 'chairside' to top up iced water, which they always brought out the moment you sat down.
Most days, piped music?, played very quietly by the bar area, not disturbing the serenity of those relaxing by the pool, and I would encourage this to continue as (a personal view I know) I have no idea why other establishments insist on disturbing the peace, by piping loud music around their pool areas, especially when most people who actually want to listen to music while relaxing these days will use their own ipods etc.
Again, food and drink here were very good, and as mentioned above, matched by excellent service.

I usually detest 'resort fees' as I have never felt that I have ever received anything of added value for this payment......... however........
At Royal Palms your $30 includes wi-fi throughout the hotel, spa, gratuities (except in restaurant), valet parking and more, and while I would still rather it was all included in the regular rate, at least here it seemed much more palatable.

The only area, where I had any real misgivings about this hotel was the bar, where on our first night it was quiet, but our server was friendly and efficient, bringing iced water and always being there to ensure a glass did not stay empty for long.
The bar area is small, but has three distinct sections – a line of 6 or so assorted tables along the outside wall by the windows and doors (draughty on these cold evenings) as you enter, a larger table behind a piano following the L shape of the bar and a small annex room with a fire but without any windows which would not be ideal for claustrophobics.
On our next visit, the bar was much busier, with what seemed like a large party from a conference, with a distinct shortage of seating, and on this occasion no water was offered together with regular periods where my beer glass remained empty without any hope of a refill unless I went out of my way to attract attention.
I also asked two servers in the bar about Taco Tuesday and Thursday (something the hotel highlights on literature but without any detail), neither seemed to know anything about it, and the one who went off to get us some info, never came back!
I am sure when the weather is hot and guests can use the outside area, the bar will take on a different ambiance, but when it is cold outside and guests can only use inside, it was lacking something. I can't put my finger on whether it was the layout, the seating, the hit and miss service, or a combination of all three but from a personal perspective it just did not hit the spot.

As my wife would be the first to point out, it is rare I do not enjoy being in a bar, however this one is the only area which I could highlight for improvement in what is without doubt a very good hotel, which although full, felt private and intimate, and I think it only fair to highlight once again the excellent service provided by the valet parking guys, the pool team, the restaurant staff and the lady on concierge.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bluemingoodbloke
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed feedback on your recent stay at the Royal Palms. We appreciate your patronage and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Phoenix. We have studied your observations and shared them with our team so that we may continue to improve our service and product offerings.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Royal Palms for conferences many times. It would be difficult to pick out one highlight because everything is fantastic. The service is unrivaled. The grounds of the resort are almost impossible to believe. The Spanish Mission style of the original buildings has been preserved very well. It is quiet and very cozy. Each room is a little different.

The view of Camel Back Mountain out the back is beautiful all day.

The Royal Palms is a very romantic spot. If you're considering a stay in the Scottsdale area and looking for something a little extra and very memorable, this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for the glowing comments on your most recent stay at the Royal Palms. We welcome any suggestions for improvement of our service or facilities and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is one resort and spa that I couldn't wait to write a review on! The staff here were awesome! From the staff at the front desk to the in room dining deliverers - everyone was exceptional. My stay started as a business trip with an intention to head north to the Grand Canyon for the weekend. Weather derailed those plans so I extended my stay at the Royal Palms and took full advantage of the on-site spa. I never left the property for the remainder of my time in Phoenix. Although I could of. They have access to a fleet of rental cars that I could have arranged on-site. If my wants were for shopping or to be dropped off and picked up at the trailhead of Camelback Mountain, they would have graciously arranged for that as well.

I had lunch at TC Cooks - light, fun. As a solo traveler, the staff were super helpful and I never felt alone in this very romantic and picturesque setting. The grounds are lush, the settings throughout intimate. Many outdoor fireplaces and fire pits to warm up on a cold February evening. It would be a terrific venue for a wedding.

The conference setting was comfortable and inviting. My room was a suite abutting Camelback Road which has a great deal of traffic on it. Hardly noticeable but if I were coming back for pleasure I would make sure I asked for a garden or Mountain view.

The fitness center was small but more than adequate. All of the aerobic machines had Ipod and TV built in and their are headphones available for your use. I think that was the part I loved most about the Palms. They anticipated needs. I didn't pack sandals. No worries. The slippers worked great on the property. Wondering around in your bathrobe to and from the pool or spa? Totally cool with that too.

And the spa? WoW! I did the aqua dolce ritual - amazing - exfoliation - four different water experiences. Worth every penny and I slept like a baby! Facial - awesome! Massage and reflexology - stimulating! Nails to finish the day - perfection!

Yes, I spent coin to indulge in an experience. And it was memory making!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review of your recent visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal Palms and have shared your comments with our entire staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I rarely review the places I stay in on business, but the Royal Palms merited written compliments. I stayed here for 3 days/2 nights and had an excellent time. The property itself was beautiful - very intimate with cozy fireplaces, chimineas and fountains tucked away in secluded nooks across the resort. I especially loved the way the entrance led to a small check-in area with hot cider and than opened into a beautiful patio. I was also impressed by the way different design elements (Asian, Islamic and Southwestern) were mixed together. The decor and layout gave the hotel an exclusive feel without being pretentious.

I stayed in a standard suite without a fireplace or view. The room was comfortable and had surprisingly good soundproofing. I am a light sleeper and rarely sleep through the night during business trips but had no problem this time around. However, what really made my stay was the excellent service. Check in was seamless from the time our car pulled up, to reception, to the bellhops' handling of our bags. And, staff expertly handled some last-minute requests for our meeting efficiently, but also very graciously.

This seemed overall like a great place for a couple's getaway - close to Phoenix but with a very secluded, romantic vibe. Would definitely consider coming back with my husband!

Photos at: http://tidbitsandtidings.com/2013/01/28/royal-palms-resort-scottsdale/

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Tripadvisor community! We are especially grateful for your wonderful blog entry on your visit, complete with stunning photos! We hope to welcome you and Ed back soon for that romantic getaway.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our second visit and we will return again and again. Beautiful and well-maintained property with gracious service. Perfect location for all activities, warm and friendly-staff, relaxed elegance throughout the property.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Wonderful! Thank you for the excellent feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.