“A lovely hotel, everything you could hope for.”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel, everything you could hope for.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a lovely hotel for a relaxing break, it is quiet and have everything you could hope for.

i had a room without any outside space, on reflection I think getting a room with outside space would have been better. The room was large, separate TV / lounge, big bath, a lovely big and comfortable bed. The gym is very well equipped, particularly for cardio machines, I think there are 6 treadmills plus stepper and i think there was a bike as well, but it is all new kit with ipod connectivity. There is a cable machine and some free weights up to 50 kg. The pool is small (ish), a cooling off pool, not for swimming, but the service there is excellent, it was notable that the staff remembered that I preferred no ice in my water, there is also food available by the pool.
On my arrival it was a very nice touch to have some water sent to the room, plus a fruit platter.
The bar whilst I was there was quite quiet, but they do have a happy hour and "special" nights to liven it up a little, but in truth, this is a hotel for mature adults, not for the hedonists.
I thought the main restaurant was good, but not great, maybe it was my choices or my mood.
I went to the Fashion mall one night (it was a $15 towncar ride), it is very lively up there, lots of bars and restaurants, I went to Wildfish, which was good.
Royal Palms is a little isolated, so you probably need a car, unless you are like me and happy to stay on site.
I used the Spa on the last day, it is in keeping with the rest of the resort, quiet and stylish.
Overall, I had a lovely stay at Royal Palms, it is a classy place, quiet and perfect for relaxing and recharging your batteries.

Room Tip: I would choose a room with outside space, mine was an Estate Suite ( I think ) room 332, great locat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Greg V, Director of Sales at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the insights from your recent stay at Royal Palms Resort and Spa with the Tripadvisor community. We have shared your feedback with our staff and will use it to improve our service and offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Arizona. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we may be of assistance with travel for your friends or family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It's no wonder this place is ranked #1 here. Atmosphere is very cool, with that indoor/outdoor feel and beautiful intimate property backed up to the base of Camelback Mountain. Very picturesque. Quintessential desert/Arizona feel and decor throughout the property. Service has been top notch. Room was very nice and had a door leading to a small patio. T Cook's is the restaurant on the property, which was excellent. Very bummed that I am only here for one night, I will absolutely be back here for a longer stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing Royal Palms Resort and Spa for your recent visit to Arizona. We greatly appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our service team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip out west!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A couple of girlfriends from Virginia came to visit and we spent the day at the Royal Palms spa. it is a small intimate space but the treatment (aloe and lavender wrap with massage) was especially relaxing and the therapist very responsive to my needs. The ambiance is very old world and while there is no view the grounds/plants/pool etc. were lovely. Pool attendant moved the umbrella for me and made me a raspberry pina colada smoothie. We topped off the day with dinner at T. Cook's, their high end restaurant and it was top notch. Food is very rich but well done.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit to Alvadora Spa and Royal Palms. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip to Arizona and our first stop was in Phoenix. I picked the Royal Palms Resort & Spa based on other reviews I read on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed. The service was excellent and the hotel grounds were well maintained and provided a peaceful place to relax. Our room was spacious and romantic. Too bad is was a bit too warm to use the fireplace.

The staff was wonderful and provided excellent service. I liked the fact that all tips were included in the resort fee charged with the room rate (some people may not) but I found it very helpful. This is a great place for couples to get away and spend some quality time together. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg V, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! We are delighted that you selected the Royal Palms as your getaway location for this special occasion. The resort is the perfect place to celebrate romance and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Valley of the Sun.
Annandale, New Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel has it all! Beautiful Hacienda style buildings. The architecture was amazing. Fountains, fireplaces and beautiful sittings areas spread around the compound. Service was excellent, Rooms were very accommodating with a great turn down service. Bell Boys were always there at your service. The hotel is also Eco-friendly and Restaurant has Organic choices. I didn't have a chance to use the Spa Services, but they looked fantastic as well. I am definitely going back there!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathy G
Dear Kathy,
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay at the Royal Palms with the Tripadvisor community. We are thrilled that you had such a great visit and we definitely look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Phoenix. An extra "thank you" for posting the lovely photos of the grounds!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 16, 2012

DSid a "Staycation" for one night at the Royal Palms in Phoenix's Camelback resort area two weeks ago. We arrived early and were able to change into bathing suits at the spa, so we could hit the pool while awaiting our room. Our room was a lovely casita, with a patio and fireplace. No need to light up the fireplace as it was 105 outside.The hotel is essentially a villa, sprawling, cozy and intimate, but a tad worn. The place could use a major renovation and sprucing up, not that it's in disrepair, but not quite 5 star in appearance. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and not a bit stuffy. The casita rooms are large, warm and well appointed. Decided to eat at the nearby Wrights at the Biltmore because the T. Cooke reviews were inconsistent. The $25.00 resort fee covers tipping and valet parking, so it really is a value. No music at the pool...none!! So you over hear conversations and there's not much atmosphere.All in all, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg V, Director of Sales at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at the Royal Palms Resort and Spa. We have taken your observations under consideration and are looking into adding music to the pool area. We are sorry that you found some areas to be in need of attention as we pride ourselves on meticulous upkeep of our historic property. In fact, the Valencia Casitas were completely remodeled this summer and were being unveiled at the time of your stay. Nevertheless, we can always do better and we hope that you will give us (and T. Cook's) another try on your next staycation!
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Our first visit to Royal Palms back in the spring was such a delight, we immediately booked a return vacation for September. It was exactly how we remembered everything to be.
The rooms are so beautiful and well designed. The layout is spacious and has such a relaxing decor, you almost want to just stay in your room.
There are so many places to just sit and relax on the grounds, with what feels like the utmost privacy, like you are the only ones in the hotel.
The staff were still just as friendly as before and some of them even remembered us from our last visit! The valet service guys are always so quick and great to deal with and Christine at the pool side bar is such a delightful person, she is always smiling!
Dining at T.Cooks is an absolute must! The food is sensational and the service is always attentive. I particularly looked forward to the Sunday brunch, which is exceptional! My only issue was that I couldn't eat as much as I would have liked to!
The spa treatments are so wonderful and so nice to be able to use the facilities any time while you are staying in the hotel.
The Neroli spa products are heavenly and I made sure that I purchased some to take home with me this time!
Royal Palms has set the bar for our hotel expectations and is now affectionately referred to as "our place". We will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for coming back to Royal Palms, we are delighted that you found the second time around to be just as enjoyable as the first. We have shared your comments with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Arizona. Remember, the third time's the charm!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#19 of 75 in Scottsdale
Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!