“Room Was Not Ready..Dated Property”

Residence Inn Phoenix
Ranked #107 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Room Was Not Ready..Dated Property”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I'll tell you up front, I never even made it inside the room -- although I was charged for my entire stay! and to wait 3-5 business days for my refund.

I requested a low floor room (no elevator here and I'm traveling with 4 children) and an early check-in. We showed up 1hr early.. couldn't meet the low floor room. Was told the room would be ready in 20 minutes. We said ok, got our keys and headed to the opposite side of the property where the room was located and unpacked the car and let the kids sit in the grass.

I did not even mention that I called the week prior to inquire if our early check-in and low floor requests would be a problem: "No, sir! We look forward to your visit!"
(and this wasn't a last second reservation.. this was 2.5 weeks in advance)

25 minutes later we made our way to the room... to be told it wasn't ready by one of the service staff.. I trekked back to the front desk where they told me the room had been ready for at least 10 minutes. I let them know the service staff thought otherwise. After much walkie-talkie chatter and clicking and clacking at the computer I was told it would be at least another 20 minutes until the room was ready.

I made another reservation on the spot, re-packed the car and drove the kids to the other location within those 20 minutes. The service and staff at Residence Inn Scottsdale North are farrrrrrrrrrr superior. And it looks to be in much better repair. The exterior definitely is. I'd venture to say the interior of the rooms are probably better here, but I never made into my room at the other property.

But I was still charged. and had to wait 3-5 business days to get my money back for my entire stay for a room I never set foot in.

Disappointing because we made that reservation based on it's central location! Oh well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
First, I want to take the time to thank you for writing into Trip Advisor and let you know that from the hotel I apologize for any inconvenience our mis-communication may have caused to you and your family. In looking into your reservation, it seems you booked one of our Penthouse Suites which unfortunately due to them being a bi-level loft room, they are only located on our second floor of the hotel. Since you stated you did call in ahead of time, this is something we surely should have caught and informed you of upon your request of this. This then ties into the early arrival request, as these rooms are extremely limited yet very popular with the travelers during the month of March at our property. We will continue to strive to meet each and every request made by guests, however we also have a responsiblity to our arriving guests to ensure the rooms are cleaned to perfection before checking anyone into our rooms so rushing you into a not perfectly cleaned room is just not something my staff is comfortable in doing. I do however know that your frustration is the communication between the departments, and for this I will assure you this is a training program that we work on weekly. We try and improve each and everyday in this subject. The hotel did just complete a very large room renovation including all items in each guest room so if ever given the chance you come back to Phoenix we would love for you to give us another try. Thank you again for your time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Long Beach
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location! Just off I-17 - a little tricky turning onto the frontage road, but once you are there, and you figure out how to go around the block it is perfect. Less than 5 minutes from Metro Mall of Phoenix, so you have an Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Black Angus, and lot's of fast food selection. The hotel serves hot breakfast and has a nice pool area, as well as a BBQ and a fire pit area to sit and relax. The rooms were very nice and have full kitchens. If you love Spring Training, this is the place to be - Most of the sites were about 20 minutes away - farthest was Goodyear.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the highway side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
First off, thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor! We always appreciate feedback in regards to the hotel and the staff/service so thank you for taking the time! We are very glad you enjoyed your trip to Phoenix and most importantly we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We really hope we see you again the next time you visit Phoenix, thank you again for your review!
Reviewed March 18, 2013

PRO
Comfortable, clean suites with good matress.
Great breakfast.
Pool and patio area with fire pit is great for small family reunion (we used two nights).
Friendly, helpful staff.
Near restaurants and Maryvale Baseball Park (Brewers home field).
Will stay here again.
CON
Bit noisy due to location near I-17
Neighbor is a bit shaky.
Renovation was going on while we were there but didn't disturb us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool/ patio area as well as Interstate 17.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, all feedback is good feedback so for this we thank you! We are just about complete with this very long renovation but as you mentioned the property is looking great with new improved areas for families to gather and such! Thank you again for taking the time to write in, we hope to see you again in the near future!
Virginia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times. Some of the staff like Casey has been there
a long time and remembers us each year. They are very friendly and willing to meet your
needs. Good location with lots of restaurants. They are constantly upgrading the rooms,
lobby and pool area. We enjoy staying there.

Room Tip: We usually have a Studio but have had a two bedroom also which is good for extras. Studios on the 2...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about the staff at our hotel. Being a valued manager on property, Casey does a great job in leading by example in terms of guest satisfaction so I will be sure to pass on your kind words to her. Please visit us again the next time you are in Phoenix, we would love to have you again! Thank you again for staying!
Show Low, Arizona
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I originally booked for 2 nights in one of the penthouse suites. The kitchen and living area accommodations were very nice; however, the bathroom vanity area was very tiny (no counter space) and the Murphy bed mattress was one of the most uncomfortable I ever experienced at a hotel. When I needed to extend my stay the 3rd morning, no one was at the front desk at approximately 6:20AM. Being on a tight schedule I left after waiting 5 minutes knowing that I could call in. Unfortunately I ended up repeatedly calling the hotels local "602" number for almost 2 hours. The phone range but no one picked up. I finally had to call the 800 information line for Residence Inn to make a new 2-night reservation with them. This time I reserved a 1st floor King Suite. The furniture arrangement in this unit's living/sleep area was awful--hard to believe for a newly renovated hotel. The front of the love seat was situated about 3 feet from the large screen TV--too close for comfortable viewing--and there was no leg room between the love seat and the coffee table. Even more disappointing was the fact that a person couldn't see the TV while lying in bed. Several safety issues also surfaced --- the security lock was partially stripped from the wall and the shower curtain (12" too long) fell onto the bottom of the tub creating a situation that could easily cause a person to fall. I also was unable to log onto the wireless internet using the designated network. On a positive note, this room had a very comfortable mattress on the bed and the bathroom vanity was generous. The kitchens in both units were equipped with the basics. Rooms were clean and the breakfast buffet choices offered were ample. On one morning, the chafing dish items were not available @ 6:30. Would I go back to this Residence Inn? Possibly...but I would research other available choices in the area. Due to my schedule I did not use the pool or fitness facilities. The grounds appeared to be well-maintained. Due to the configuration of the buildings it is somewhat difficult to find your assigned suite in the evening hours as the walkways between buildings are not clearly marked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Torchy123
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor, any feedback is always good feedback for us so I will be sure to turn anything you mentioned into a positive training example. We as a hotel are always looking for guest comments to make us better, so for this I thank you. Thanks again for staying with us, we look forward to your next trip to Phoenix to possibly give us another chance. Take care.
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Renovated rooms are beautiful! However, we stay in a lot of Marriott properties and have become spoiled by a high expectation of customer service. We had to call twice to get our pilot light lit for our fireplace-ended up waiting over two hours to get someone from maintenence (we were almost ready to go to bed by then!). Also, hotel was not ready for the masses of guests for breakfast. Our first morning, everything was empty on the hot buffet except a few potatoes. Line formed, some people came in and just turned around and left when the saw what was happening. We finally figured out to go up for one thing at a time as food was finally brought out, but the juice refill lights were on (so they were very watery), and then the buffet line ran out of plates. Staff seemed better prepared the next morning.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank ksugrads
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your response and thank you very much for staying with us. We are very proud of the newly renovated rooms, and thank you for taking time to mention that! I also appreciate your feedback in terms of service. As a reputable hotel chain, we are always striving for nothing but the best when it comes to service. I do apologize a couple of items slipped through the cracks while you were here, I promise we are constantly trying to improve so anytime we get the chance to find out the area or areas we are lacking we really do appreciate it. Hopefully we see you next time in Phoenix!
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Drove over 6 hours for softball tournament. Family was looking forward to the trip to hang out with other families. When we tried to check in they told us there was no room because our room was being renovated. Why book a room if you can't have it ready!!! Thanks for ruining our weekend! You could have atleast told us in advance so we could have made other arrangements! Will never book here again! Then lied and said they called but my phone was disconnected. What a joke!

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Justdog72
Joshgarcia, General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
First of all, we appreciate your feedback for our hotel. I want to sincerely apologize for the mis-communication that obviously took place between our hotel and yourself. Our intentions are always for the best and to be able to accomodate each and every guest that books a reservation with us. Unfortunately, we were going through a major property renovation that is going to ultimately benefit the guests who stay with us and as it happened in this instance with renovation, unforseen problems do arise which gave us many less rentable rooms for the tournament group. We do hope you give us another chance next time you chose to come to Phoenix, I promise we are better than your last negative experience with us. Hopefully we see you again in the future.