“Don't do this to yourself”

Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
Ranked #125 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Toronto
“Don't do this to yourself”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I chose this location because I simply needed a cheap place to stay for the night, and a shuttle from and back to the airport. The hotel shuttle is actually the airport parking shuttle, which can be confusing if you're not pre-warned. Calling the hotel from the airport for the shuttle was difficult, due to the noise in the terminal and the hotel attendant's vague, mumbled instructions. Once boarded, it was fine. I arrived late, and had a trickle of water pressure in the shower - which is a stall, no tub - and virtually none from the sink. It was too late, and too 'settled in' to bother changing rooms at that point. I rose early, and the breakfast was a choice of the usual high-sugar, processed stuff, because whatever egg mixture had been prepared was all gone. There was no effort made on the part of the manager to replenish it. The 'fitness center', I was told, is located at the Hilton Garden, due to renovations. There was no complimentary newspaper to be found. I mentioned the water issue to the manager, he apologised, and assured me it would be fixed for the next guest. I may have merely imagined his nose growing as he said this...The room stunk of B.O. and dirty socks, the air conditioner roared, and the tv - not that this was a priority - was ancient, with very poor reception. I had to look for an item and threw the sheets back the next morning, and discovered streaky stains on the bedding at the bottom end. I would have liked to have walked to a restaurant or variety store nearby, but, even if I had spotted something, would not have felt safe. Be kind to yourself, pay an extra 10 or whatever dollars, and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Patty427
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are truely sorry for your experience during your stay with us. The shuttle we currently use is a airport parking shuttle but does service our hotel as well we apologize is there was any difficulty in the instructions given as to how to access the shuttle from airport. Our Breakfast contains waffles eggs potatoes bagels muffins cereal juice and coffee and is replenished as not to run out of items. The issues brought to us by guest have been immediately resolved. The area in which the hotel is located is well lit and is safe for our guest to walk in our vicinity. All our bedding is washed cleaned and free of stains and we have taken your feedback into great consideration and have resolved any and all issues. Thank You once again for your feed back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Menominee
Reviewed April 7, 2013

pros- The night attendant was friendly and helpful, good water pressure in the shower, air conditioning worked, clean linens

cons- VERY, VERY smelly. I think an insect bomb had been used. Dead bugs everywhere! The outlet in the bathroom was nearly out of the wall, the room was just very run down. It needs repairs to the tiling, walls, trim etc.... It just didn't feel clean. We kept our shoes on the whole time. The shuttle to the airport only runs every hour so we had to be up by 4:00 am in order to get catch a shuttle.

I would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DougG668
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We apologize for any inconvenience. We cleaned all the dead bugs in all the rooms due to the pest control coming in and spraying for bugs. Due to hi high volume in guests the guest was asked to wait while more eggs were cooked. Carpet is cleaned is clean and nobody has had any issues our housekeeping cleans everyday.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have stayed here several times in the past year, and have always experienced thoughtful and courteous service. The breakfast bar is complete, with a large variety of selections. We particularly enjoy the malted Belgian waffles. The free airport shuttle service is simply the very best, being fast and efficient, and running 24 hours daily. Parking is easy, accessible, and ample. The only reason we do not give this property and excellent rating is because there is no self service guest laundry facility on property. During our stays, we have always had the opportunity to mingle with the other guests over breakfast, as well as at the service desk and in the lobby, and have always noticed these guests to be really enjoying their stay at this property. Randy W

Room Tip: Ground floors are more convenient as there are no elevators on property.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
SAN JOSE
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place was horrible. How can they stay in business. Customer Service classes are needed badly for these people. Breakfast was practically non-existant, wifi password did not work, smelly in room, no shampoo, bed took 45 minutes for maid to make, parking was full, no place to park, manager was rude, door did not open, cracks in walls, needs a paint job. Now about the breakfast, eggs never filled, no muffins, no toast, 3 ugly oranges were in the basket and 1 package of instant oatmeal was present. Come to find out, the front desk person is the one who is 'supposed' to be in charge of the breakfast. I went back 4 times in a 45 minute span, same thing, nothing changed. Absolutely terrible. And now the funny part, the manager almost begged for us to stay when we decided to check out. He was willing to give discount and upgrade. Unbelievable ! DO NOT STAY HERE - around the corner, about 1-2 miles away are plenty more choices on 44th Street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ANTHONY C
Sioux Falls
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am sure the reviews that rate this hotel any higher are fake. I stayed here with points in the Wyndham program, a level 4 of 6, so I actually thought that the hotel would be pretty nice. It should only be a level 1 hotel. They do not have their own transportation, so after waiting for over an hour for a van saying "Howard Johnson" went back into the terminal to call the hotel, told it is a parking lot shuttle, no markings of HJ. The hotel is literally across the runway from the airport, yet the contract with this parking lot shuttle, which runs continuously for themselves only goes to HJ once an hour, not very convenient for an "Airport" hotel. Other reviews said the hotel had been remodeled, I don't see how, other than perhaps exterior painting. I was on the second floor of the hotel, felt sorry for anyone in the room below me, the floor creaked so bad, I was embarrassed to walk on it for fear of bothering the lower room (I arrived very very late). The hotel is in an area that is apparently known for prostitution, and drugs. In the hour or so before I got to sleep, there were 4 separate incidences that the police went down the alley next to the hotel, doesn't make one feel very secure. I had to sign a form indicating that if I smoked in the room I would be charged $150, not a problem, except that the room I got had a smoke odor. The hotel had tried to cover it with a very strong scented deodorizer, I think that smelled worse than just the ashtray smell. I did, as one other reviewer mentioned, tried to get another bag of coffee, told that I get only one per stay, not day, I did clarify, but stay.
I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN, EVEN IF FOR FREE.
I stay in hotels on average 3 nights a week, 47 weeks of the year, this one hands down is the worse one I have ever been to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Geoffrey V
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
We are sorry for any inconvenience that you may have had with us. Also we gladly instruct our guests to the correct shuttle that services our hotel as it is sometimes noisy and confusing in the airport and we always encourage our guest to call for further help. The area on the contrary is not known for any drugs or prostitution again we apologize for any rumors. There are three highend hotels around us which consist of Double tree suites, the Hilton Gardens Inn, and the Hampton Inn. It is a great and cultivated area. Coffee is replenished each time rooms are clean and freshened unless the do not disturb sign is on door. The City of Phoenix Police patrol our area for the safety of our guests and there are only streets around the hotel no alleys. If any descrepences had occurred we would have put guest in another room to ease any discomfort. All rooms are aired out and freshened for any and all odors.