“Do not stay here”

Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
Ranked #126 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place was horrible. How can they stay in business. Customer Service classes are needed badly for these people. Breakfast was practically non-existant, wifi password did not work, smelly in room, no shampoo, bed took 45 minutes for maid to make, parking was full, no place to park, manager was rude, door did not open, cracks in walls, needs a paint job. Now about the breakfast, eggs never filled, no muffins, no toast, 3 ugly oranges were in the basket and 1 package of instant oatmeal was present. Come to find out, the front desk person is the one who is 'supposed' to be in charge of the breakfast. I went back 4 times in a 45 minute span, same thing, nothing changed. Absolutely terrible. And now the funny part, the manager almost begged for us to stay when we decided to check out. He was willing to give discount and upgrade. Unbelievable ! DO NOT STAY HERE - around the corner, about 1-2 miles away are plenty more choices on 44th Street.

3  Thank ANTHONY C
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey W
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

2  Thank Melissa K
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am sure the reviews that rate this hotel any higher are fake. I stayed here with points in the Wyndham program, a level 4 of 6, so I actually thought that the hotel would be pretty nice. It should only be a level 1 hotel. They do not have their own transportation, so after waiting for over an hour for a van saying "Howard Johnson" went back into the terminal to call the hotel, told it is a parking lot shuttle, no markings of HJ. The hotel is literally across the runway from the airport, yet the contract with this parking lot shuttle, which runs continuously for themselves only goes to HJ once an hour, not very convenient for an "Airport" hotel. Other reviews said the hotel had been remodeled, I don't see how, other than perhaps exterior painting. I was on the second floor of the hotel, felt sorry for anyone in the room below me, the floor creaked so bad, I was embarrassed to walk on it for fear of bothering the lower room (I arrived very very late). The hotel is in an area that is apparently known for prostitution, and drugs. In the hour or so before I got to sleep, there were 4 separate incidences that the police went down the alley next to the hotel, doesn't make one feel very secure. I had to sign a form indicating that if I smoked in the room I would be charged $150, not a problem, except that the room I got had a smoke odor. The hotel had tried to cover it with a very strong scented deodorizer, I think that smelled worse than just the ashtray smell. I did, as one other reviewer mentioned, tried to get another bag of coffee, told that I get only one per stay, not day, I did clarify, but stay.
I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN, EVEN IF FOR FREE.
I stay in hotels on average 3 nights a week, 47 weeks of the year, this one hands down is the worse one I have ever been to.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Geoffrey V

We are sorry for any inconvenience that you may have had with us. Also we gladly instruct our guests to the correct shuttle that services our hotel as it is sometimes noisy and confusing in the airport and we always encourage our guest to call for further help. The area on the contrary is not known for any drugs or prostitution again we apologize for any rumors. There are three highend hotels around us which consist of Double tree suites, the Hilton Gardens Inn, and the Hampton Inn. It is a great and cultivated area. Coffee is replenished each time rooms are clean and freshened unless the do not disturb sign is on door. The City of Phoenix Police patrol our area for the safety of our guests and there are only streets around the hotel no alleys. If any descrepences had occurred we would have put guest in another room to ease any discomfort. All rooms are aired out and freshened for any and all odors.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

1  Thank Beverley D

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well I needed a room for one night close to the airport. I got to the lobby had to wait to check in as the desk clerk was talking on the phone 'to her husband" for 10 minutes. She also was wearing headphone's. I asked for bottom floor as their isn't a elavator had heavy bags, asked for help the clerk said no one was here to help. Finally got to my room noticed the door wasn't locked didn't need a key to enter. Fronk desk said to dead bolt it and would be fine cause they were booked and no other rooms availble. I was never so glad to leave!! Paid for a taxi to the airport so I didn't have to bother the desk clerk about the shuttle.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa M
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

we apologize for the front desk clerk we have talked to her and she has also apologized. Our Door employee helped our guest that night with bags. And door was fine and had no problems. And we always invite our guests to come to us for any thing help, directions and suggestions on places to go and shuttle service.

Reviewed March 17, 2013