Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
$87
$75
Red Roof Plus+ Phoenix West(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
$52
$327
$305
Westin.com
$327
$309
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix North(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
$114
Travelocity
$476
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had a terrible time at this hotel. The description that I read online was not anything like the real thing. It was dirty and the front desk agent (Andy) was arrogant and not a pleasant person to deal with.
The pool area was dirty, ant infested and not well looked after. The grass in the pool area was not grass...it was closer to hay.
The room was very dirty with cigarette burns on the carpet and on the bathroom ledge. I would be accurate to say that this room was filthy and in need of a complete reno.
Air con, in the room, made so much noise that I could not hear the tv which was set at medium volume.
No newspaper (as advertised). I was told (by Andy) to read at the news via internet.
The continental breakfast that was offered was very poor and the coffee was very weak and unfit for consumption.
This Howard Johnson Hotel is the worst hotel I have experienced in my last 6 years of travel and I travel about 3 times per year. Sorry I can not report anything positive about this hotel.

Room Tip: I have no idea about a better room. I would suggest, go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jensong154943
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

In regards to this comment I would like to state that our pool area is weel kept and tended to every two days. Our rooms are kept in the highest quality we have no such damage to any of our rooms and every roomis inspected prior to use. also a/c units are not loud enough to produce any inconvienence to our guest. the newspaper comes to our hotel in a limited amount and it was suggested to guest as an option to read online news. The breakfast is always fresh and we do provide only quality items in the breakfast area.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We arrived in Phoenix at around midnight, took the shuttle to the motel, then found out they didn't have our reservation on file. Thankfully, the gentleman on duty put us up in one of the suites, not bad. He also gave the room to us for cheaper than we would have paid for our regular room. When we got our computer out and checked to see what happened, we found that we were charged for the reserved room and our current room. They were more than helpful but couldn't get the charges taken off. The next morning the owner was there, and he was able to make some phone calls and had the charges removed, while we were eating at the nicer than normal continental breakfast. I highly recommend staying here. It doesn't look like much, but a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Reviewed November 13, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed November 13, 2012

we stayed one night before a flight home - the room was great, the shuttle to the airport was very convenient and the staff very helpful - left a charger and they made arrangements to get it back to us! We will use again when we go to Phoenix. thanks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was the worst experience I've had at a hotel to date. Here are a few of my complaints: The bathrooms are not clean, the drains are slow and the towels are not clean, the towels were very worn and a few had pieces of hair on them. Once I was settled and ready for a nap, I noticed a gigantic roach crawling up the wall behind the TV. A janitor came to get the roach and to spray but I saw two more monster sized roaches. One crawled up into the sink after I finished washing my face. I was offered to be moved to another room. I also asked to be moved the night before because I had a room adjacent to the office and people knocking then banging on the office door during the early morning hours woke me up. I didn't see any roaches in this first room, only the second room.

I believe in a fair and balanced review so here are some positives: It's close to the airport and to the light rail (public transportation). The fruit offered for breakfast was fresh. The breakfast bread was a dollar store brand but fresh. The staff is friendly. The manager offered to take a measely 5 dollars offf of my bill after the roach incident.

Bottom line: Even with a AAA discount this hotel is overpriced. I have often stayed at youth hostels which are much cleaner and cheaper. I would not recommend this place to a good friend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
2  Thank J B

The hotel rooms are cleaned daily and inspected to to provide maximum cleanliness. Our guests are our top priority and we strive to accomadate them. Our goal is to have happy guest and will not subject any one to such a experience. In regards to the room next to the office we do advise our gust that it is next to the office doors and there is a chance to hear people coming in and out of office. On the guest own decision was assigned to this paticular room. when the guest called front desk to ask for assitance due to a problem in room guest was offeres another room and declined offer and decided to stay in said room. The maintenence worker did go and did assess the problem and the front desk had no further complaints from the guest.