“A Good Place to Spend The Night”

Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
Ranked #123 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Williams, Arizona
“A Good Place to Spend The Night”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The motel offers a free shuttle from the airport, which is a good point. It also has a free wifi, free continental breakfast and a coffee machine in the room. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff is friendly. the only negative point is the noisiness of the A/C unit. Other than than, it's, as mentioned in the title, a very good place to spend the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan D
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, September 27, 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coinjock, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I chose this hotel because I figured it would be affordable and it was close to the airport. I was very upset when I arrived at the hotel because of a death in our family and was so well taken care of by the staff. It was late at night, the young lady, Amanda, could tell I had been crying and offered to help me to my room. She also said to call her if I needed anything, she helped me get the phone numbers I needed to the airlines. The next morning the gentleman at the counter helped me with the internet so that I could get in touch with my family. The hotel is older, but clean. The coffee in the food area is great. Additional drinks and snacks are only $1, can you believe that. The rates are very affordable. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite, you get more room and the price is very reasonable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience
Bishopbriggs, Scotland
Reviewed July 17, 2012

After our long flight from London we were satisfied with what this motel-style hotel offered. We were not expecting five star comfort for the two star prices charged, but we nevertheless found everything to be satisfactory. The neighbourhood is somewhat run down, and there are no shops or bars within walking distance but, then again, few places are withing walking distance of each other in Phoenix!
The room was comfortable, with a TV, fridge and very comfortable beds, and we saw no bugs or dirt. The shower in particular was excellent, with plenty of hot water, and the room had a bright and well-appointed bathroom too. The air conditioning was fairly noisy but, as it was 28°C/ 82°F through the night, it had to work hard to keep the room cool.
Breakfast in the morning was served from a conveniently early hour. It was self service, basic but very adequate, and with excellent coffee and make-your-own pancakes.
A highlight for us was that after my wife left her handbag, which contained all our passports, money and credit cards, in the breakfast room, only realising this an hour or so later, we were delighted to find that the duty staff member had found it and kept it for us at reception. A massive bouquet for honesty, sir!
If I had to find fault with anything, I suppose the pool was a bit of joke, small, uninviting and deserted but, really, this hotel offers excellent value for money and, after our experience with my wife's handbag being returned, we would not hesitate to use this hotel again if we return to Phoenix.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank alfaetrin
hojophoenix, General Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Roma, Italia
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel, if we can call it a hotel, in August 2011. We were received by a young woman who spoke very quickly and witha heavy accent, even though it was clear we were strangers and we didn't manage to understand what she said. She seemed more interested in her nails.
The hotel has its rooms around a sort of yard, in the middle of which there's a funny pool (more a bathtub) surrounded by the parking.
Our room was tiny and really very hot. As soon as we entered we switched on the air conditioning, which seemed a cold tornado. The result was half of the room had an acceptable temperature. In the other half a blizzard was taking place. Honestly the bathroom was new and it SEEMED clean.
However, as there's nothing around to be reached on foot, we ordered some pizza (the leaflet is on the nightstand) and ate on the beds (augh!).
We had to take an early fly next morning, so we went to bed early.
Unfortunately one of the two beds was very near to the conditioner, so my husband and I should have slept with the blizzard on our face. We decided to turn it off and after 10 minutes the hot was unbearable. The hotel seemed to be empty (now I understand why) and so we didn't feel safe to leave the door open on the courtyard, which would have been the only way to let some air in.
As I couldn't get to sleep, I stayed in the dark with my eyes wide open and after some time I saw something run swiftly through my children's bedsheet. I abruptly switched on the light yo see an enormous bug (3-4 inches - no joke) hide under a piece of furniture.
We packed off at once and we arrived at the airport at 3 A.M., a bit early but we couldn't stay in the place one second more.
So we missed the breakfast...from what I had seen the day before, no regrets.
Do not stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank RobertadiRoma
, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Since Your visit many things have changed we have new staff members cleaner rooms with a/c that cool the room adequately . Also we would like to state that Howard Johnson is under new management . we would like to extend our most sincere apologies to you for your bad experience last August of 2011.

Howard Johnson
4120 E. Van Buren Rd.
Phoenix,Arizona 85008
602-275-5746

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We booked a reservation for parking at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Phoenix, AZ - 4120 E Van Buren Street, Phoenix, AZ through onestopparking.com, an online parking site. When we showed up to park, they told us to park in a dirt lot, with no fence, no security, no cameras, no lighting, next to run down homes and abandoned buildings - not even within the hotel property area. We refused to park our car there, as the facilities for our vehicle were not secure or managed by the hotel.

When we refused to park our car in this location, the gentleman at the front desk was very rude and refused to give us our paperwork back. We had to demand several times to get paperwork back from him before he finally returned it, and he kept telling us to "just leave".

We are HIGHLY disappointed in our experience with the hotel airport parking and how it was portrayed the reservation site. We paid in advance to park in this location, and then had to go pay to park in a secure location - so we had to pay for parking twice.

We would NOT recommend this area for Airport Parking - Leave your vehicle at your own risk!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rebecca H
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

The customer did not have a hotel room reserved. Our parking is half the price of regular airport parking. This space was the only one available at the time. We have not had any complaints. Previous customers have been satified with our parking. Thank You for your concern.
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My friends and I bicycle down to Phoneix from a long bike trip. This was our last stop. The staff was very helpful and found spaces to put our bikes in storage. The rooms are standard. Nothing special. But the staff makes this place worth visiting again.

• Stayed June 2012
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2012

When I called to make the last minute reservations, the gal at that answered the phone was very pleasant. When I got there she rememberd my name, which was very refreshing. The room was set up nice. It felt clean. When I went for breakfast the next day, the selection was a bit thin, but good nonetheless. I wasnt expecting omlets or anything. Just some good cereal and fruit. the fruit was not really there, but the cereal was and other carbs to start my day. Plus the coffee and Juice were in abundance. The frnt desk person was very nice and checked in on me to make sure I had all I needed. The most memorable thing was when I had left my phone charger there and called the next day. They not only found it right away, but paid the postage to ship it to me in Chicago. I felt very valued as a guest and definately recommend this place.
(Didnt have time to use the pool but it looked clean and welcoming.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 25, 2012