“Poor Airport Parking Accommodation”

Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
Ranked #125 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Gilbert, Arizona
“Poor Airport Parking Accommodation”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We booked a reservation for parking at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Phoenix, AZ - 4120 E Van Buren Street, Phoenix, AZ through onestopparking.com, an online parking site. When we showed up to park, they told us to park in a dirt lot, with no fence, no security, no cameras, no lighting, next to run down homes and abandoned buildings - not even within the hotel property area. We refused to park our car there, as the facilities for our vehicle were not secure or managed by the hotel.

When we refused to park our car in this location, the gentleman at the front desk was very rude and refused to give us our paperwork back. We had to demand several times to get paperwork back from him before he finally returned it, and he kept telling us to "just leave".

We are HIGHLY disappointed in our experience with the hotel airport parking and how it was portrayed the reservation site. We paid in advance to park in this location, and then had to go pay to park in a secure location - so we had to pay for parking twice.

We would NOT recommend this area for Airport Parking - Leave your vehicle at your own risk!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rebecca H
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

The customer did not have a hotel room reserved. Our parking is half the price of regular airport parking. This space was the only one available at the time. We have not had any complaints. Previous customers have been satified with our parking. Thank You for your concern.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My friends and I bicycle down to Phoneix from a long bike trip. This was our last stop. The staff was very helpful and found spaces to put our bikes in storage. The rooms are standard. Nothing special. But the staff makes this place worth visiting again.

• Stayed June 2012
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2012

When I called to make the last minute reservations, the gal at that answered the phone was very pleasant. When I got there she rememberd my name, which was very refreshing. The room was set up nice. It felt clean. When I went for breakfast the next day, the selection was a bit thin, but good nonetheless. I wasnt expecting omlets or anything. Just some good cereal and fruit. the fruit was not really there, but the cereal was and other carbs to start my day. Plus the coffee and Juice were in abundance. The frnt desk person was very nice and checked in on me to make sure I had all I needed. The most memorable thing was when I had left my phone charger there and called the next day. They not only found it right away, but paid the postage to ship it to me in Chicago. I felt very valued as a guest and definately recommend this place.
(Didnt have time to use the pool but it looked clean and welcoming.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Tucson
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I spent one nigh at this hotel, and was given the room upstair that is "next" to main road. I thougt the traffic noise would bother me at night. It turned out the AC sound masked the traffic noice pretty well. I checkout after the breakfast hour, but it was still avaiable. I was kindly offered to enjoy my breakfast before leaving. Overall, it was a very nice experience staying at this hotel

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
london
Reviewed April 17, 2012

On booking the Hotel we requested a non smoking room, on our arrival at the Hotel we were met by a very scruffy person at the reception desk. The person made absolutely no communication with us and it was even necessary for us to ask him where the room was.

The room we were given was 115 and on opening the door we were immediately struck by the strong and disgusting odour of stale cigarette smoke. We noticed that there was cigarette burns on just about everything in the room. The deco was in the worst state I have ever seen at a Hotel, the carpet was worn, frayed and dirty. The place was far from clean. The smoke alarm cover was missing, as no doubt, someone had removed the battery in order to smoke.

The bin in the room was in a disgusting state and the coffee machine was unusable due to its state. There were burn marks on the bathroom cabinets and the whole place was absolutely disgusting. The only reason we did not walk out was that we had been travelling for some 20 hours without sleep and very little to eat, we did not know the area and had no transport to go elsewhere. Because the place felt unsafe we found it necessary to put furniture in front of the door.

With very little sleep, we could not get out quick enough. We did not see anything for breakfast nor did the person at reception offer us any. Without doubt this is by far the most disgusting Hotel I have ever been unfortunate enough to have to stay at.

The only people that will give this a good review will be idiots!

Room Tip: This is the very first time I have booked without doing research first. Always research and read re...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tig s

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel was great if you are arriving in Phoenix late at night or leaving early in the morning.....staff was very nice and accommodating...pick-up at AP was super quick as was return....would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Carson, California
Reviewed April 2, 2012

On 03/31/12, my friend and i checked in at this hotel. When we first walked in the room we were greeted by squeaks from the floor, the room had a musty odor and the room was outdated. The first night we had to fight of some type of small black flying bugs. The second night the bugs got worst. The entire bathroom was infested with them. We complained and asked for our money back. The manager, Mr. Andy refused to give us a refund for one day and said that the bugs were ants. I know the difference between ants and flying little black bugs. The next day I attempted to contact Mr. Andy to discuss my experience at the hotel and getting a refund for one night however, he refused to speak with me and hung up the telephone in my face several times. I would not recommend anyone to patronIze this hotel due to the unprofessional Manager and dirty bug infested rooms.

Room Tip: Do not patronize this hotel due to horrible customer service and bug infested rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tracy W
hojophoenix, Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Sorry for the inconveience. Guest did come but it was in the middle of the night. We offered to change her room however she refused.The room was good.