“Meh... a decent room and edible breakfast”

Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown
Ranked #59 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Scarborough, Maine
“Meh... a decent room and edible breakfast”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My room was clean. That's really about all I can say. It smelled strongly of disinfectant (as did much of the rest of this property). It was clean, but a bit shabby. Everything worked in my room.

The fitness center is a joke. First of all it is glass on 3 sides and adjoins the area where people eat breakfast. Personally I felt like a fish in a bowl during morning workouts.

The breakfast was not designed to accommodate a full house. There was a conference in town, so the breakfast spilled out into the garden/pool area. The staff could not keep up with consumption and there were coffee shortages and food shortages. A single toaster with 2 spaces is not sufficient.

The staff were great-- very helpful with local restaurant information. The location is odd (tucked away on a side street behind adult video store and Holiday Inn), but actually convenient in that it is close to the Phoenix light rail and Walgreens.

For the money I paid, I should have tried to find something closer to downtown.

Room Tip: My room faced west which gave me a nice view of the mountains at sunset
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MarkHF
marilyn1714, Guest service manager at Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post comments after your recent stay at our hotel, as our guest feedback is very important to us. We are taking your suggestions very seriously as we continue to strive to exceed our guest's expectations.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Phoenix
Reviewed March 27, 2014

nice hotel with recently improved bar and dining facility. nothing fancy but excellent staff and great location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

marilyn1714, Guest Service Manager at Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments, we sincerely appreciate our guest feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Tucked away behind the Holiday Inn is the Wyndham Garden. For the room price, I thought that it would be a bit more ritz-ier. It appears that you are paying for the location more than anything else. Its pretty close to downtown and a train stop so at least you are not smack dab in the middle of downtown -which is a plus just due to parking and traffic. Ice cold air conditioning although the temperature readings appeared to be in Celsius and not Fahrenheit -its probably just a setting that i overlooked but I did not take time to dig into that as long as it got cold I was cool. There is open WiFi that was easy to connect to but the beds were not as comfortable as I thought they would be -they weren't bad, just a bit on the firm side. I couldn't get seem to get room service working. There is a room service button on the phone in the room; I pressed it and I all got was ring no answer. That could be user error; maybe I was supposed to dial 9 or a code of some sorts. I don't know though, if the button says room service, I press it I should get room service right? I ended up walking to get a pizza. There are a couple boutique pizzerias along with a Papa John's and Subway on Thomas Rd which is about a block or two away. It was great night weather to walk anyway (plus I did not want to lose my prime parking spot). I would not suggest it during the summer months though, you would be a hot, sweaty mess by the time you arrived due to the distance from the hotel. They also have a parking garage and tons of security cameras. Overall, the experience was decent. If you need to be close to downtown without being in downtown, then this spot would work. I am still trying to find a solid back up for the Days Hotel in Mesa, AZ on Country Club -so far no clear winners so I'll keep at it. . . ..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
marilyn1714, Guest Service Manager at Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay at our hotel.
I apologize for the issue you had when trying to order room service, the experience has been reviewed with all staff members to ensure it is never repeated.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to the Phoenix area.