“Nothing outstanding Here”

Ranked #58 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Tucson
“Nothing outstanding Here”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Got a great Orbitz deal. "You get what you pay for" sums it up. Average everything except the complimentary hot breakfast which was great. Half a pool, half a water fountain, mostly broken pool seating, and worn down facilities. Kids didn't notice though and enjoyed the adjacent playground and lush setting in the middle of the city.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank EIZABETHTucson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
Winnipeg, Mb
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Booked a trip for Spring break with Westjet vacations and received a great deal on flight and hotel. I picked this hotel for it's central location as our other option was a Holiday inn in Mesa. I should mention that I don't require anything more than a clean,quiet room and could live in a closet for a week if required. We also don't spend much time in our room other than to sleep and are typically gone all day long sightseeing.

We arrived and found that the front foyer was large, clean and updated. We were assigned a room on the 3rd floor. Taking the elevator there we discovered that the hotel is in need of a major overhaul, carpet is worn out and appears dirty, wall coverings are outdated and the bathroom has the usual spots of mildew/water penetration. The room though was large enough for our needs and it did have a fridge and microwave. I sat on my bed and my first thought was "Oh no" as the bed was hard as a rock, I do have have back problems but oddly enough I slept well all week and did not suffer any back problems.

Upon checking out the pool area the next morning we discovered more of the same, the entire area although very large and expansive is tired and worn out. There are two pools and only one was heated. The pool deck tiles were discolored,cracked and loose as well as the rock waterfalls were outdated and in need of a cleaning.

The free breakfast was the same menu every morning, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, biscuits/gravy, fruit, cereal, pastries and bread. There was juice, milk and tea and coffee as well. The coffee wasn't the greatest but it did the trick, I think it may have been instant coffee as they brought it out in pitchers too fill up the coffee dispenser. There is a Starbucks around the corner and I did notice some people had gone there in the morning before they came for breakfast. One thing that they did do here was put a slip with a pen on your table when you ate so you could leave a tip, I didn't think this was necessary and have never had this happen before. The service was okay but not great either, I cleaned up myself a couple times and cleared things away, but felt uncomfortable just leaving nothing as the guy that hands out the paper slips hangs around.

I have never been to a hotel yet that doesn't hand out newspapers in the morning or have coffee brewing all day/night long (even if it is instant) but unfortunately not here.

The covered parking was great and we never had a problem finding a spot day or night.

The whole street as well as this property is very dark at night as well as the pool area, makes it very hard to see, I could see why some people would find it uncomfortable to move around at night.

The front desk people were very pleasant and helpful, always ready to answer questions, offer advice and help out if needed. We took the shuttle once to get our rental car and that service was great but it is only limited to three miles.

All in all we had a great vacation and we would stay here again if we received the same great deal. The central location exceeded our needs but I don't think the $130.00 night rate is fair, maybe around $100.00/night. This property has great potential with it's location and size and it needs someone and some money to give it a overhaul to make it great.

We took a taxi from Sky Harbour to the hotel for $25.00, we could have taken the lightrail but I wasn't sure how easy it would have been but now I know better and could have saved myself $23.00 by doing so, just get off at the Osborne/Central station across from Walgreens and walk half a block west. On another note do not rent a car from Sky Harbour as it is double the price as getting a car off site. I was quoted $480.00 for a week from the Airport the night I flew in, I had the hotel shuttle take me down the street the next morning and paid $220.00 for the week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mbwarden
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed at this property recently and was disappointed. The carpets, both in the hallways and rooms needed either cleaning or upgrading. The ice machine on our floor did not work for the duration of our stay. The business centre had two computers, but, only one was working. They kept saying that they would get it fixed, but that didn't happen. There were very few chairs in the pool area that did not need repair. The pool area should have been swept daily as there were trees around it that had falling leaves. The trash in the pool area piled up until it was overflowing. The breakfast buffet was adequate, but, a bit of variety would have been nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 0723_13
Chandler, Arizona, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We held our daughter's wedding reception here in Sept 2012. The staff was very helpful in getting things planned and set up. Everything was set up as agreed, the food was served promptly and was delicious (or so everyone said, I was understandably distracted).
I can't comment on the rooms, as we didn't stay overnight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dale B
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We checked into 3 rooms about 7p on a week night: smooth.

Unfortunately, one of us wished to use a rest room, but there is no lobby rest room. After the second sketchy set of instructions, there was this outside passageway... She just waited.

The rooms weren't filthy. That said, they weren't clean.

The hotel entry is from a very dark (VERY dark) street, and coming from parking structure to hotel means going on that street.

The breakfast was good: much better than adequate. They even provided take-away coffee cups for an extra hit.

The upholstery on which we had to sit in the breakfast room was disgusting. Oh, my, was it hard to sit on a chair in clean clothing.

The price point was average for that city and area; not cheaper.

We won't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had reservations for four nights...stayed one. The AC in the lobby was broken, making Nick checking in people VERY grumpy! The room was clean but small. The TV, fridge and free wi-fi didn't work in our room. We had two towels, requested more towels, NEVER got them. Breakfast is "free"...However the staff is too busy putting out their $0.00 receipts and pens for each table requesting tips instead of refilling the plates and food. The pool looks fun in the pictures but it is tiny and dirty. EVERY chair at the pool was ripped/broken. Not a great family friendly location either...felt like I had to have my guard up at all times. However the morning staff was polite and did let us check out early.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WyoMom82072

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

First impressions on walking through the door.....nice
2nd impression on getting to the room ......dismal. And that's putting it politely.
This place is made to look nicer (somehow) in the photographs, the receptionist is abrupt, the lift takes forever, the corridors are dark, the rooms (2nd floor) are dingy, and could do with a serious lick of paint & new bed linen.
The plumbing is an issue, we had to change rooms as twice the sink filled up dirty waste water. Apparently the room was connected with next door plumbing ( don't even go there) the only decent thing was the Plummer who was very apologetic
The breakfast room is a joke.. Totally disorganised, & miserably staff. coffee on the bar, tea somewhere else, one 2 slot toaster for the whole hotel, the bread, & pastries wedged on a small shelf. But the best thing of all the "waiter" presents you with a slip every morning to sign & give a tip....I'll give you a tip.......Stay somewhere else

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family