“Not worth the $$$”

Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Phoenix, AZ
“Not worth the $$$”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Pros- friendly staff, size of room, very upscale lobby.
Cons- outdated rooms, shredding carpet, mattress sagging from age, AC doesn't work. Maintenance came up twice for AC, the second time they said the unit is too old and too small to cool off large room!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AzBusiness T
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing this quick feedback about your stay with us last month. Your input is very important. I truly wish we could have better met your expectations. Our path is always one of continuous improvement led by guests willing to take the time to communicate the things we do well and the opportunities that we have to improve upon. I hope that one day you will give us another opportunity to deliver an experience that would provide satisfaction and loyalty at our hotel.
Jay Anderkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We had a miserable stay at this property in October and wrote an honest but uncomplimentary review of that experience. We received a reply from the General Manager with the promise to make things right on the next stay, which we did not long thereafter.
What a difference! My wife is a platinum Hilton Honors member but we had never even previously sniffed out the room they put us in. It even had a leather recliner. Breakfast was included, although I think they need to work on the quality of the food and the quality of the attitude of some of the staff.
Nowadays it is a rarity that any property backs up their missteps with actual actions and I give kudos to Jay for doing exactly that. It shows that any hotel can take an extra step to rectify things and in this case, they certainly did. So we rate them accordingly. Now, if they could do something about that parking charge.....

Room Tip: nothing on the lower level facing the parking garage is a good tip
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel at one time was my staple when traveling to Phoenix. However, upon my last stay I have difficulty with two employees, one if which stated he was the MOD. After contacting the hotel, Jay emailed a full list of excuses about why his employees were behaving in the manner in which they had. He even went so far as to say because his MOD was prior military, that was reasoning for his terrible attitude and language at customers. Funny thing is, we are prior military and current law enforcement. At the end of the day, I don't care what you did in your past. That is certainly not an excuse to act unprofessional to customers. Shame on Jay for continuously making excuses for his employees behavior. Just admit it was wrong and take care of it. But just as his email states, he has had numerous complaints on this employee. With that being said, he seems to welcome their disrespectful and unprofessional behavior. If he didn't, he would have terminated their employment long ago.

• Stayed December 2013
Rochester, MN, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Food was not freshly prepared. Had been prepared ahead and stored to the point of being stale at times. Service was very good. Service in the open bar/food area was slow. No airport shuttle. Local shuttle drives were great. Front door cab service was up-charged. Pool is directly off the main entrance and food areas - which is ok for kids and young folks but not others. Quick cab ride from convention center. The shuttle [only one] cannot handle speedy transport to convention center at peak times. Though the drivers tried.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your experiences. We wish all aspects of your stay would have been excellent and we’re very sorry that we failed to deliver on a couple deserved expectations. We will use the information you have provided towards our effort of continuous improvement. In regards to the transportation at peak times, I hope you were informed about the light rail service very close to the hotel, a very good attribute. It’s inexpensive and goes directly to the convention center and offers fairly convenient airport service.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel will treat you like family. Great smiles, great service, nice and clean rooms. Their shuttle service will take you were you want to go. Breakfast bar is large and good! Have a drink at the bar - always a fun crowd. And, I love your pillows... I almost stole one!!! :O

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

First off, I have read the previous reviews... I couldn't disagree more. The staff was superb (especially Bethany Maddux)... They added an additional room to our group's booking - Bethany even went so far as to make sure the additional party got the booking rate + a gift bag... And she didn't have too - they were jam packed... Certainly aren't hurting for business (which tells me my opinions are dead on)... To that end - the staff runs around constantly trying to ensure you are well taken care of. Try having breakfast and see how long your coffee cup stays empty --- it won't.

Location... Close to downtown; next to light rail; and a shuttle driver who constantly smiles. Again for business - what more could you ask?

Rooms... Ours were great... Lots of room - CLEAN - big tables in the room - phenomenal bedding - new Samsung televisions... Absolutely no complaints... In fact just the opposite

Value ... Shopped around... Probably the most economic hotel at this time of the year... Would we return: Yes - definitively - in 2 months with a group 10x bigger than this one... That's the faith we have in Bethany and this Hilton.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank VA2Fargo2VA
Glendale, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I feel violated that my room was entered upon after I had the "Do NOT Disturb" sign on. I had valuables out because I was informed that if that sign is up no one from staff should enter your room. Management did nothing to make me happy or tell me why this was breeched. Very upset by this

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Erica S
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
I completely understand why you were unhappy with this stay; but I can say with certainty that this incident will cause you no breach of safety. The Housekeeping Supervisor, an employee since the hotel opened twenty three years ago, made a mistake forwarding the wrong room number for a crib request. The service person did as they were instructed. No, it was not acceptable at this point to assume that the housekeeping supervisor had gained permission to enter your room. The person that provided the actual service should have questioned the instruction, she has been with the hotel over twenty years. I can forward my full confidence that your valuables and accounts are completely safe from this incident. I’m very sorry and I truly wish this had not had happened. I know the was a very unpleasant and unnecessary experience. There is no acceptable excuse for making these kinds of errors and assumptions. I assure you it will be dealt with appropriately at the hotel. I would welcome any further conversations you would like to have with me.