“1 person ruined an overall great stay!”

Hilton Phoenix Suites
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hilton and were overall pleased with our stay. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere of the hotel was beautiful. Our parking fees were compensated for the weekend, and the food at the Great American restaurant was excellent, as were the servers. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The beds were a little small, but comfortable.
The only complaint/problem we ran into was the bartender was EXTREMELY rude to us and several other guests that stayed here for the weekend. Apparently this bartender is also the "manager" of the bar. Apparently, there are several rules the hotel has about where you can enjoy a beverage, so instead of the bartender just telling the guests, he proceeded to just swipe the drinks off the table and after an argument guests were told they had 5 minutes to finish their drinks or he was" throwing them out."
During one evening of our stay, we took our kids swimming. The pool closes at 10 pm, however at 9:45 everything starts to shut off as almost an invitation to "get out". After we left the pool, my husband realized he left his cell phone on the table in the pool area, and the doors were locked, and key access doesn't work after hours. He asked this same gentlemen (the bartender) if we could get the door unlocked to retrieve the cell phone and he refused. He stated that no one in the hotel can open the doors. After an argument, a gentlemen who works with maintenance came by with a friendly nature and said he'd gladly open the door for him, which he did and he got his cell phone back. What was the big deal? I don't know!!
It's unfortunate that 1 person can ruin a stay at a hotel where the rest of the staff is so customer oriented and friendly. I would recommend staying at his hotel as everything else was great, just don't bother the grumpy bartender. On a lighter note, Josh who works the bar and restaurant was AMAZING! He was super friendly, and made a great night of fun for several guests. May I recommend Josh as your manager and get rid of the grouch with no customer service skills! Seems like a bartender would want to be friendly as typically your tip is based off of your interaction with your customers. Apparently not this guy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to write a review. Your overall remarks and rankings were very kind. The staff that assisted you will be very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the ones you have taken the time to mention. In regards to the negative event that occurred during your visit, I hope you will contact me and let me know what dates you were with us. As you experienced, this is not reflective of our hotel overall and I would really like the opportunity to appropriately address this matter.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Phoenix Suites

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a fabulous hotel. The lobby is so gorgeous with palm trees and streams with fish etc. The rooms are all suites and have everything you need. The staff was completely helpful, attending to my every need as a wedding coordinator (wedding was elsewhere), as far as printing documents, punching my documents with their three hole punch and locating a paper cutter for me. . We got a great group wedding rate with Internet service included. If it had not been included, I would have been very upset to have to pay for it. I did not eat in the restaurant there, but sat with a group far from the bar and food was brought out to us. When I joined the group with a half glass of wine in a water glass from my room, a bartender swept down upon me to whoosh the glass away, explaining that no drinks were allowed that weren't purchased at the bar. I thought this was rude and unnecessary and also embarrassing. Otherwise everything else was perfect and I would stay there again in a second.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Metro and bus close and cheap.... Hotel no outdoor pool or lounging sucks. Go to mills ave on metro awesome... Or get off metro at priest and bus 56 to huge fun mall....easy day of fun.... From airport take super shuttle t 15 dollars per trip. Hotel shuttle only two mile radius.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2013

So was somewhat disappointed with this Hilton, in a good location away from downtown and on the light rail line so can get here from Airport on the light rail. The hotel lobby is nice, lots of room and plenty room to sit down and do some light reading to browsing. The rooms are nice but old and need some updates. The bar and food are somewhat to be desired as it took a long time to get a beer and the food well should have gone to McDonalds. I would be hard pressed to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and I'm glad that our location was convenient for your travels. I appreciate your comments about our restaurant as that's an area we are actively looking to fix. The next time you're in the area I hope you'll stay with us again.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here on buisiness. Rooms are large and spacious and the property is well kept overall. Staff is friendly and accomodating. Beds are comfortable and everything was very clean in the room and around the hotel. Parking here was a bit of a chore. First, it wasn't free, and it took a while to find a valet to actually get the car. Internet service was also not free (I refuse on principal to pay for mediocre internet service at any hotel). Hotel is a few miles from downtown but there are many transportation options. Overall a nice hotel and I had a pleasant stay. I may look elsewhere next time due to the parking and internet issues.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The other reviews are fairly accurate. This hotel is close to downtown and a good choice for business, without the hassles involved in driving on the highway (traffic in Phoenix is surprisingly rough during rush hour). The neighborhood around the hotel doesn't have much to offer, and I wouldn't walk around after dark - you will need a car if you stay at this hotel, even with the light rail within walking distance. The hotel does look just like an old Embassy Suites - including the attrium open to the center, which was common with that chain. The rooms are a good size, over 500 ft, with a separate bedroom and living area. The bathrooms are large and there is a microwave and refrigerator in the room, which is very convenient. The hotel also has a good restaurant and bar. The folks working at the hotel were extremely helpful and very nice, which brings a lot to the table. It makes it much more enjoyable to stay at a location where the staff appears reasonably happy. The only downside to the hotel was that it appeared very dated and needing updating. This of course has everything to do with the Hilton Hotel chain and nothing to do with the staff at the location - again, they were very nice and they kept my room in top shape during my one week stay. One other point that seems to annoy some folks is that there is an $11 per day parking fee. As I was on business, it was not a problem, but if it was for a personal trip, it would have influenced my decision to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the city.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank USTravelera
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently. I really appreciate your honesty and we're glad you enjoyed your stay overall. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our property appearance is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Although this Hilton isn't downtown, if you a HH Points traveler this hotel has a nice bar, restuarant and FREE shuttle service anywhere in the downtown. It's designed like an Embassy Suite hotel but it is not a reconverted. The Light Rail is right outside the hotel so you can get downtown to the Ballpark or downtown entertainment with ease. You can also take the Light Rail to the airport from the hotel. The rooms are suites so you can kick the kids to the couch and close off a bedroom if needed.

Room Tip: Can be a long way from the elevators if your a 11-13 room number.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Phoenix Airport Marriott
#56 of 174 in Phoenix
Westin Phoenix Downtown
#7 of 174 in Phoenix
Encanto
Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Midtown
Hilton Phoenix Chandler
#4 of 34 in Chandler

Been to Hilton Phoenix Suites? Share your experiences!